Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2020 3:36:49 PM EDT
I spend a lot of time in GD and particularly Active Topics.

The daily lists are a combination that ranges from the interesting to the asinine.

Rather than continually reshuffling the same (and new) asinine topics in the mix, which there are many, it would be a big help if users could "unsubscribe" or "ignore" from repeatedly seeing those threads.

Let's say while scrolling through active topics or GD, 40% of the threads, to me, are asinine....or at a minimum, topics I have absolutely no interest in and never will.

Every day I have to scroll past and through an awful lot of crap.....along with everyone else here. Active topics and GD would be streamlined significantly if for example "I had Taco Bell last night and I think I sharted my chalupa" could be permanently removed from visibility. I'll never click it, don't care about it and never will. Multiply that by 50 and that's GD and much of Active Topics.

Click button next to thread and it forever vanishes from my view regardless of how riveting others may find it. Still visible to them....and my active topics and GD get a big relevancy boost. Not only that, it would free up thread list space for topics that may have otherwise been buried by the asinine and now bumping them up in my visibility.

It would be a great tool for users to cull the noise and have vastly higher quality results.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I second this request.

I'd find it most useful for tagging/blocking threads with vague subjects.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I suggested this within the past year.

I was given the "You don't have to click on them" grief for suggesting it.

Of course I don't have to click on them, I just wanted to remove them from Active Topics. GoatBoy never responded as I recall, but I bet it's a relatively simple function to add.

I hope your request can get some traction.

ETA: Your proposal is very well stated with good examples of it's benefits.
My request was not as well thought out or explanatory.

@GoatBoy
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
What they said.

I'd rather ignore a thread then a paying member.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suggested this within the past year.

I was given the "You don't have to click on them" grief for suggesting it.

Of course I don't have to click on them, I just wanted to remove them from Active Topics. GoatBoy never responded as I recall, but I bet it's a relatively simple function to add.

I hope your request can get some traction.

ETA: Your proposal is very well stated with good examples of it's benefits.
My request was not as well thought out or explanatory.

@GoatBoy
View Quote

The "You don't have to click on it" reply is bullshit.

Of course nobody has to click on anything. That's not the point....as you know.

That's akin to someone who owns a water park telling its customers to just swim around and away from the floating turds they encounter. Which brings up a good point. Make it available to only those who financially support this place. It would make membership a little more attractive if swimming continually with turds was optional.

As of now "Swim around the turds" is the only option and it shouldn't be IMO.

Goatboy has morphed this place magically since I've been here for over 20 years. This seems like a very reasonable, relatively uncomplicated request to me.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Use the subscriptions function to see what want and remove what you're finished reading.

Subscribe to add a thread.  Unsubscribe to under the thread.

Add a reply to add the thread to subscriptions, too.
View Quote

You're missing the point of this request.

Do you know how many topics you'll probably never even see when (for me anyway) 40% of threads in GD and Active Topics are garbage?

It pushes results of other, possibly more interesting threads pages away from view. A simple thread ignore check box would clean up both and allow more relevant topics to populate in their place. This place is very active, tons of new threads every single day. The time has come for users to be able to manage this vastly more effectively.

Subscribed threads is great and I use it a lot.....but has nothing to do with this request....it's actually the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use the subscriptions function to see what want and remove what you're finished reading.

Subscribe to add a thread.  Unsubscribe to under the thread.

Add a reply to add the thread to subscriptions, too.
View Quote

Sure, but that doesn't help single out threads you want to ignore.

Example:
I hit Active Topics, see a thread titled "You ain't gonna believe this sh!t".  I see I have read it, but I do not remember what it's about.  I think I should poke in and catch up, maybe there is important information about election fraud or riots or something.

Find out it is someone Karening about their local school board.

Yes, the best solution would be to stab people that make threads with vague titles.  Unfortunately, my work on STIC-IP (STab Idiots over tCp/IP) has hit some technical hurdles.

Being able to apply a tag I always see, or to just ignore, threads would be really helpful in these kinds of situations.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe Goatboy took the thread title literally......as in ignoring this thread specifically?

Probably busy....hopefully he chimes in shortly.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to be able to hide threads as well, just my opinion
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
And actually hide threads from blocked users. we have a collection of 5 or 6 idiots who make 3 or 4 threads a day, and for those of us who use active topics to browse, those users can really ruin it. greying it out doesn't remove that from the active topic page and just takes up space from things I would like to see and actually discuss with people.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I support this!

I had a Craigslist app that allowed me to hide adds in search results that didn't interest me.  If the item was junk, or too far away I could just flag it and it would reduce to a line.  If I wanted to view it I could just click on the line and it would be restored.

Too many threads in GD have vague titles and I'll click, read and determine I'm not interested.  Then a couple of hours later I'll click on the same thread and realize it was that thread I had no interest in.  I'm not smart enough to remember what's what.

I'd find it helpful if I could just flag the thread and it would disappear from my view so I wouldn't annoy myself again by repeating the process.  Even if it just flagged it, changed color, or any other way I would know it was a thread I wasn't interested in.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#12]
@GoatBoy

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I would like the ability to block entire forums from the Active Threads.

It annoys me to open an interesting tired thread to find out it's in the Masonic forum.  Or Ham radio forum. Or Haberdashery forum. Etc.

It would be nice to block forums that don't interest me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top