Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I went to Ennis, Texas today to watch some NHRA races, a first for me.  The alcohol and gas dragsters were impressive, and one gal hit 200 on her motorcycle, but there's a reason the nitromethane cars draw the crowds.   It's one thing to watch them on TV and see them top 300.  It's quite another thing to feel them as they open the throttles and accelerate down the track.  Hell, I thought belt-fed machine guns were loud.  The sound pressure wave hits you and doesn't abate until the end of the run.  Watching top fuel is something you should try if you get the chance. Bring plugs and muffs!
View Quote
It is an experience everyone should have at least twice. The second time, after you get over the initial shock, to appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Were you there during Saturday qualifying?
Sunday, they don't shut down.

Holy crap, I just watched Alexis just about burn up in her funny car. Wow... Not on you tube yet that I can find...

Here it is:

fire
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another thing that surprised me was the number of cars that shut down before completing their runs. I assume most were due to loss of traction at launch, but out of perhaps the 15 or so races I saw, only a couple races had drivers run hammer down to the finish line.

Holy crap, I just watched Alexis just about burn up in her funny car. Wow... Not on you tube yet that I can find...

Here it is:

fire

I saw that shit today.
I kept thinking get her out of that car, get her out of that car, get her out of that fucking car!

Her interview after the fire was great though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad first tool me when i was 8 yrsold or so. Been hooked ever since. Cant wait to have kids and take them, hopefully the sport sticks around.

Ive been to Maple grove dozens of times

Z-Max Charolette a few

Bandimire in CO a few as well  

and once to Epping, NH

Missed Gator Nats this year woith COVID

Epping was a little disappointing, you can get close on the fence but the cars and track are on a raised "rail road bed" above you. the concrete barrier cuts off half the car so you really need good bleacher seats there.

Maple Grove and Bandimire are great. You can get close on the fences there. Ive seen pics and google maps of a few tracks like Kansas and it looks like the spectators are fairly set back.

Its a small goal of mine to make it to some more tracks.

My bucket list is :

Pomona for the start and end of the season

Bristol looks like the best track in the country

Vegas for halloween

and Phoenix because ive never been to AZ and I think melting in the heat on pavement would be cool.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’ve been going to Gainesville since the early 70s. For a while, we had seats on the tree since my dad bought them as soon as they offered reserve seating.

A friend ran a TF funny car for a while so we got to stand in the staging area and watch a few times. It’s a whole different experience at ground zero.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Went to a Memphis event in the early 90s.  I think the track was new because the pits weren't paved but covered with fine gravel.  

Wife and I had just got there.  Milling around with the crowd we heard a TF FC car start.  A ring of people circled the car as it ran on jack stands with the body off, idling.  

One of the mechanics grinned like a possum and gapped the throttle which caused the gravel to levitate.  It was a stampede getting away from the car.  Women and children were squalling.  Loud ain't the word.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#7]
One of the last true forms of racing in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm friends with Alexis, I've hung out with her outside of the races and had dinner with her, driven her from track to hotel, etc. I know her (ex-)husband is a banned member here, and a talented man but a complete douche. I plan to see her again this Halloween weekend at the race in Vegas.
I've spent time in her pits and she's had a shitshow of a year but her attitude is always positive. She does a good job of keeping the sport active. NHRA has a questionable future but it's people like Alexis that give me hope for its future.

(my pics)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146/6FE16247-7EF3-4968-9960-D0BE97EF7463-1643006.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146/B6176BB2-0FF4-492F-A80E-ACF2401D40EF-1643008.jpg
View Quote
she has to be tough to be married to her present douche jesse.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ex like 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing like it. I was fortunate to help out with a nostalgia fuel car some years ago (the Hemi Hunter, miss ya Dale). Old friends of my dad, who also helped tune the car. Being up there on the line for their runs was one of the most awesome things I've experienced.

Some pics of mine from nationals at Maple Grove.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Start 'em early

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
After being behind jet cars and a number of 4-5 second ET vehicles in the staging lanes that wanted to do a test and tune, I have much respect for their owners.

And their bank accounts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
First time I witnessed it I was almost brought to tears. I really underestimated it. It is truly epic. I wish I could experience that first time feeling again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been going to the drags my whole life. I go every year to the NHRA event but I'm sort of ambivalent about modern top fuel.  It's cool but it's almost too much like a spaceship and less a car.

Ive found more enjoyment going to the nostalgia drags.  Less people, cars that are something I can see myself driving. And I can stand right next to them on the start line.  And there's always enough nitro nostalgia cars to scratch that itch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Went a few weeks ago on a invite from a friend. Never been in-person before. The display of power is amazing. I can't believe people were there right next to the start line like we were with no hearing protection. Takes balls to do that kind of racing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Heck yeah!!!!  I was there spectating as well.  Our local top fuel driver, Kebin Kinsley, here in Dallas popped his chutes with authority.....lol

NHRA asked Kebin to change his chutes.  The NHRA asked that racers to use political signs that are a certain size.  The racers were really going wild with Trump stuff at the start of the season.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]
The boats are awesome too

Put 10,000 Horsepower In A Small Boat and This Is What Happens

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
My Prius goes just as fast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Use to go to the nat'l at speedway IN.  Bother lived in trailer park next to it.  Would get a pit pass and walk around the competitors.  Love the smell of nitro fueled dragster.  This was the 60's.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The video a few posts earlier of the first time nitro reactions is mine that I cobbled together....it reach 1 million views yesterday and I reached the 1k sub milestone without realy trying.  Guess I'm a youtube nerd now!

Took my son and we did the Super Seats at the Motorplex...

Here's the view for anyone considering next year...

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Lol....yeah they are.  A lot of cars had some sort of Trump stuff on.  Bo Butner had his whole car billboarded with Trump at the start of the season. :^)
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Never seen blown fuel cars live, yet.  Someone brought a NA nitro car to alcohol night locally, though.  Can't even hear the blown alcohol car running beside it, idling or under throttle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...The racers were really going wild with Trump stuff at the start of the season.

Oh they still are.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146/59DE884D-4453-40D5-ACDB-067559F9F3BB-1643840.jpg

https://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-stirs-controversy-by-cracking-down-on-political-advertising/
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
A similar rush, albeit not as wild, is being close to a good unlimited modified tractor at a pull. 5 big block hemis chained together slinging dirt makes for a good substitute.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ex like 2 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ex like 2 years ago.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]
First time o went it was like

You just have to be there to feel the Earth Shake from 10,000 HP
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Standing on the starting line between two of them at the moment they launch is quite an experience.
View Quote

Yes it is
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The video a few posts earlier of the first time nitro reactions is mine that I cobbled together....it reach 1 million views yesterday and I reached the 1k sub milestone without realy trying.  Guess I'm a youtube nerd now!

Took my son and we did the Super Seats at the Motorplex...

Here's the view for anyone considering next year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh-aqyylnxQ
View Quote

Funny video, man, and congrats on Nerd status!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've wanted to witness a top fuel event of late, just because I'd like to hear that much HP. Folks say: Bring ear plugs.

I'm guessing drivers of those things are deaf from being at ground zero all the time?
View Quote

I’ve carried on a normal conversation with John Force, didn’t seem any worse hearing than mine
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#32]
WORLD POWER WHEELSTANDERS! CRASHES! ROLLOVERS! 2020 WHEELSTANDING CHAMPIONSHIP! BYRON DRAGWAY!

something a little different. world power wheel standing competition
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#33]
The Power of Top Fuel Dragsters

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Things don't always go as planned . . .

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9CZjJta3o

something a little different. world power wheel standing competition
View Quote

That's just down the road from me. Have a friend that currently lives there and another that used to race his V-Rod there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Here it is:

fire
View Quote

Ah!  Thanks for the explanation.  Next year I go on Sunday!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The boats are awesome too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpy4cJzTqr8
View Quote

Boat guys are nuckin futz
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I haven't been to a track yet, I need to see it before they're gone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Weather should be great for Spring Nationals in Baytown this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's just down the road from me. Have a friend that currently lives there and another that used to race his V-Rod there.
View Quote
I spent a good chunk of my life there. Going to miss it after it's gone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never got into racing until I worked for Kalitta. Now, I watch when ever I can. Went to the races once in Jackson.

Pretty cool, indeed.
View Quote

Same for me, I didn’t know much about it at all until I started there.

Got to fly with Connie and Doug both a bunch, the old man’s got some great stories!
And is pretty damn deaf.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Not to mention the smell and sound.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree with the OP. I never took my children to see them. They've seen jet cars at a monster truck show, but never a top fuel or funny car dragster.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I can smell the nitro just thinking about it. And when the wind blows just right when they do their burn out and you get dusted with rubber. Watching the weather reports, praying for cool, dry weather so they get the best passes. Yeah, I love drag racing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I live about 35 min from the Gatornationals track.

Every chance I get to go I do.  Especially if it is a cooler day in Florida.  They are amazing to watch.  A great sport where you can get up close and personal.  Also very friendly crowds in the pits.

Everyone should go at least once!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I went to Ennis, Texas today to watch some NHRA races, a first for me.  The alcohol and gas dragsters were impressive, and one gal hit 200 on her motorcycle, but there's a reason the nitromethane cars draw the crowds.   It's one thing to watch them on TV and see them top 300.  It's quite another thing to feel them as they open the throttles and accelerate down the track.  Hell, I thought belt-fed machine guns were loud.  The sound pressure wave hits you and doesn't abate until the end of the run.  Watching top fuel is something you should try if you get the chance. Bring plugs and muffs!
View Quote
Ennis is a redneck word. Ennis "Say, Fred, Ennis that thing you was lookin' for?"
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I go to Bristol every year.  I fuckin' love it!

Top Fuel Explosion - Bristol NHRA
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saw my first NHRA National in 1974 at National Trail Raceway.

Saw the 1/4 mile speed record set at the same track decades later.

The record still stands.

A Top Fuel Hydro is pretty damn cool too.

Boat Drag Race - BREAKS Speed Record - Awesomeness
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I play golf with a former multi-time NHRA top fuel dragster champion. He's been retired for a while and set several top fuel dragster records in his day.  He's not only hard of hearing, but almost blind. He retired because of nearly detached retinas due to the G-forces exerted on his body over the years.

edit: spelling
View Quote

Joe Amato?

@CoachMike
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top