Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2020 1:49:54 PM EDT
After we flush the toilet still sings. Gasket for the flapper looks good. What else should I check?

https://streamable.com/wlm2rf

New video as well

https://streamable.com/kzgvux
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you lift up the float a little do it stop?

If it do, turnt the adjustment screw anti clockwise
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
BALL COCK!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't get the video to load on my phone but sounds like you need to adjust or replace the float
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably from overuse, just start pissing in the sink from now on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Piss on it to establish dominance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Seriously though. Ball cock valves wear out. BALL COCK!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Yep some people don’t think it be like it is sometimes but it do be like it is sometimes
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have hard water where you live?  Calcification around where the flapper seats can obstruct if from fully closing.  

Lift flapper, run your finger around the edge.  If it feels like sandpaper, gently scrape that stuff off so that you expose the smooth porcelain finish.  You can also use vinegar (light build up) or muratic acid if you have a significant build up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Cant lift the float up at all
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Replace the seal that is hidden under the top red cap, problem solved...likely.  It's a flat round dish thing and costs just a couple of bucks at HD/Lowes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Replace with fluidmaster 400A and be done with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#14]
There is no BALL COCK inside a toilet  
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#15]
If the Fill Valve is adjustable, try adjusting it until the noise stops. If that doesn't work you'll have to replace the Fill Valve.

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I turned this piece clockwise a shit ton of times and it stopped. Wonder how it got out of adjustments.

Should water be right at the brim of the black overflow tube?

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Now its doing it again. Water leaking here.

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I turned this piece clockwise a shit ton of times and it stopped. Wonder how it got out of adjustments.

https://i.ibb.co/gj0ZWPw/20200723-135925.jpg
View Quote

Leave it as is if it works, but it looks like Fill Valve needs to be replaced.  As long as you don't have a rusty water shut-off for the toilet, it should take about 20-30 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here. Oops. Looks like a Fluidmaster. Get a repair kit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Just replace it.

Korky or Fluidmaster, both are GTG.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
It looks like the float was adjusted too high for some reason don't know how that changed. I lowered it which lowered where the water line is written on the overflow tube. It still fills completely then sings for a few seconds, then stops, which is weird. Never done that before.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It looks like the float was adjusted too high for some reason don't know how that changed. I lowered it which lowered where the water line is written on the overflow tube. It still fills completely then sings for a few seconds, then stops, which is weird. Never done that before.
View Quote

Ballcock valves fail and wear out requiring more force from the float to close them.  Easy to replace ball cock.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ballcock valves fail and wear out requiring more force from the float to close them.  Easy to replace ball cock.
View Quote

there is no ball cock in this setup as far as I can tell. I think you like saying ball cock
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quit screwing around and do what this fine gentleman is telling you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

there is no ball cock in this setup as far as I can tell. I think you like saying ball cock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I could find tier 1 ball cocks. I’m not impressed with the fluidmaster ball cocks. My toilets had all metal ball cocks. Those were damn fine ball cocks. Not a cheap plastic ball cock. Not a fan of plastic ball cocks. Those are inferior ball cocks.

Ballcock!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh, and while you're at it put a quality 1/4 turn angle valve for the shut off with a stainless steel braided feed line in if you don't already have them there or if the current ones are 10+ years old. You're looking at an added $20 for the knowledge that the line won't burst and if the toilet overflows you can shut it off at the feed line without running outside in your skivvies at night hunting for channel locks and the main shut off.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh, and while you're at it put a quality 1/4 turn angle valve for the shut off with a stainless steel braided feed line in if you don't already have them there or if the current ones are 10+ years old. You're looking at an added $20 for the knowledge that the line won't burst and if the toilet overflows you can shut it off at the feed line without running outside in your skivvies at night hunting for channel locks and the main shut off.
View Quote

Already has the braided line and quarter turn shutoff. Thankfully the water shutoff to the house is inside as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#28]
i just came here to get in on the ball cock
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've just done this two weekends ago... and it was the second toilet in the house.

great thing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
BALL COCK!
View Quote

HOTD is that way  ----->
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I can haz ballcock?  Gib me ballcock!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Second or third or fourth on what @nickmemphis says.  Replace all that shit for $50 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I think Kohler toilets have a different bowl fill rate than the standard fluidmaster fill valve, so if you use a standard fill valve the fill rate might be off.  But if you want to keep it simple, and don't want to replace the whole fill valve, here's a few quick fixes.

There should be a yellow water level mark on the right side of the black flush cylinder.

Replacing the 242 seal in a Fluidmaster 400 series fill valve

Fluidmaster Toilet Fill Valve-Done in 30 Seconds with NO TOOLS!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think Kohler toilets have a different bowl fill rate than the standard fluidmaster fill valve, so if you use a standard fill valve the fill rate might be off.  But if you want to keep it simple, and don't want to replace the whole fill valve, here's a few quick fixes.

There should be a yellow water level mark on the right side of the black flush cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NJ6flNDIYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6J1cfvQOGg
View Quote

Kohler's are geared to be quiet, so they have a slower filling fluid master with a light purple top. I guess rich people got time. I always replace them with a standard red top.
ETA: OP you could try taking the gasket out of the fluid master and turning it 90 degrees and see what she does.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. About a 1/2 inch below the rim, generally. The reason a Fluidmaster 400A is a better design than the cheapy ballcock standard on toilets is a Fluidmaster works with the water pressure, I.E., the pressure acts in such a way as to hold the valve shut, whereas a ball cock design requires the pressure be restrained by the buoyancy of the float on the effort arm. Anything goes wrong on a ballcock fill valve, regardless, step one is replace with a 400A. The inventor, btw, was a German immigrant who also is behind the Kwikset lock family of products. The only thing that ever fails on a Fluidmaster is the rubber gasket under the cap, which is only a couple dollars anywhere Fluidmaster fill valves are sold and takes two minutes to switch out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No. About a 1/2 inch below the rim, generally. The reason a Fluidmaster 400A is a better design than the cheapy ballcock standard on toilets is a Fluidmaster works with the water pressure, I.E., the pressure acts in such a way as to hold the valve shut, whereas a ball cock design requires the pressure be restrained by the buoyancy of the float on the effort arm. Anything goes wrong on a ballcock fill valve, regardless, step one is replace with a 400A. The inventor, btw, was a German immigrant who also is behind the Kwikset lock family of products. The only thing that ever fails on a Fluidmaster is the rubber gasket under the cap, which is only a couple dollars anywhere Fluidmaster fill valves are sold and takes two minutes to switch out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballcock!
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Replace the seal that is hidden under the top red cap, problem solved...likely.  It's a flat round dish thing and costs just a couple of bucks at HD/Lowes.
View Quote

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-1-in-Flush-Valve-Seal-for-Kohler/3508524?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-208-_-toiletrepair-_-3508524-_-0&placeholder=null&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_prWia_u6gIVlozICh3bCAXnEAQYASABEgJqRvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know fellas. I futsed around with the black adjustment screw and it stopped happening.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't know fellas. I futsed around with the black adjustment screw and it stopped happening.
View Quote

Your welcome
Top Top