Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2023 8:07:11 PM EDT
I've only had g-shocks and I haven't been wearing one for the last 10 years or so because I was spending a lot of time in a machine shop. I want to get something nicer. Wife thinks I'm crazy to spend more than $1k on a watch I don't need so rather than making her mad I'm trying to stay under that.

I've been reading a lot of positive stuff about the PRX. If I could spec one out I'd rather take the quartz movement and stick it in with the better finish, crystal and water resistance of the Powermatic...but that doesn't exist.

Anything else up to $1k and 40mm or smaller I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
My Tissot has been great... runs like a champ, more power reserve than my breitling...
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Tissot is company that teamed up with omega to beat the depression.

With a style all their own.

And a bang for the buck that is tier one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. That's kinda what I've been reading.

I might run out later today and look at them in person.

The other one I see a lot of good stuff about is the Hamilton Khaki Field. Totally different look but I'm not opposed to getting a few.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few, they are great watches. Might be listing a few as I’m thinning my collection. Let me know what you’re looking for style wise and I can throw a couple up on the EE.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#5]

If you beat the bushes a bit, you could probably come up with a TAG Formula in the 1k range.    

A lot of guys' (most of the guys') on here are very partial to automatics, but i am in the camp that totally gets wanting a quartz (or solar, kinetic, etc.)

most of my collection now is auto, but with me looking for one of those watch winding trees, i'd gladly welcome a nice quartz back into the fold
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a few, they are great watches. Might be listing a few as I’m thinning my collection. Let me know what you’re looking for style wise and I can throw a couple up on the EE.
View Quote

Thanks. I need to go to a store and try some on to see what size is going to work best. I think 40mm might be a a bit big.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a great Glycine Chief Combat GMT GL0332 up for grabs … it is 46mm but it’s rather slim in height and features a Sellita SW330-2…PM if interested…

Diff than Tissot but solid piece of kit with a true GMT function and 30ATM rating.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to go PRX Quartz in blue. Only question is 40mm or 35mm? Only dealers nearby don't have either in stock to try on for size.

I ordered a Vostok (the Zissou Amphibian because I liked the movie) today and a SD1953 yesterday.

Looking at ordering a Hamilton Khaki or maybe the Murph 38mm for a field watch, a Seiko Presage and an Orient of some sort. Maybe a Doxa Sub 200.

Wife said over 1k for _a_ watch was silly. She didn't say anything about multiple watches.

For some reason I really like this in blue but not sure since I was going to get the PRX in blue also. It's not out yet though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Why quartz? IMO, a person buys a Swiss watch for the chronometer rated automatic mechanical movements. Check that version out….otherwise, sweet watch!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why quartz? IMO, a person buys a Swiss watch for the chronometer rated automatic mechanical movements. Check that version out….otherwise, sweet watch!
View Quote

I already have some automatics but I also want a simple, no hassle watch and I like the look of the PRX.

I was also reading that the movement in the Powermatic has a plastic pallet fork and escapement wheel. If I was looking at a Swiss automatic I would want something traditional with metal components.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top