Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2018 9:12:36 AM EDT
I know it's been talked about before, but the huge task of switching emails steered me away. Now, I'm fed up. I'm not giving Yahoo any more clicks. Can't say that Google is any better. Is there any free email service that is worth a damn?
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Mozilla Thunderbird
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Proton mail but it isn't free. I wouldn't use free email for anything remotely important.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
iCloud
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]
aol! I have had aol for the past 25 years! They are a great service and an internet powerhouse! I miss the disks though
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]
startmail
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Tutanota
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Gmail works pretty well for me.
As an alternate, most ISPs have domain mail for their customers, and it typically works without issue.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Proton mail. It is secure and there is a no cost option.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
You know the algorithm that picks the news articles on Yahoo News loads up for your newsfeed with articles like the ones you've already clicked on.  So if you get, for example, a bunch of anti-Trump news it's because the algorithm knows you'll click on it...
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to get rid of Yahoo email as well, but it'd be such a PITA switching everything over to a new email address. Is there a quick way of doing this?
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Get your own website, run your own email.

It's not difficult.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd like to get rid of Yahoo email as well, but it'd be such a PITA switching everything over to a new email address. Is there a quick way of doing this?
View Quote
You can haz mails sent to your old Yahoo automatically fwd to ur new email.  But not if you delete the Yahoo acct
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#15]
You shouldn't be using Yahoo mail since 2016 when they first announced their data breach.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Protonmail
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Yahoo mail has had data breaches for a long time.

I use protonmail.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Yahoo is the only email I've ever had,  aside from the college appointed email, so it'd be a task to get everything transferred to a new address.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use Tutanota
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Protonmail.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I've used AOL for over 30 years. No hassles and meets my needs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Get away from big data.

Proton Mail.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#23]
It shouldn't be that hard to switch email. I do it if I start getting too much spam. Here's what I do:

1. Get new email address

2. Go to your old email and do a mass mailing to everyone you care to get email from. Put all their email addresses in the BCC field. This keeps everyones address private. In the body of the email tell them 1) I am changing to a new email address, 2) they need to save my new email address, and 3) stop using the old address or 4) they won't be able to contact me by email cause 5) I'm deleting the old email address. This explanation is not sufficient for some people but I don't know how to make it any simpler to understand. We will handle the laggards and morons below.

3. Go onto the business web sites and manually change email addresses for everyone you can remember and care about. Don't worry if you forget some, we will deal with those later.

4. This is an important step. Even though you told everyone you are closing the old account, DON'T DO IT. Keep monitoring it. See who still sends you email. Once again repeat steps 2 and 3 with the laggards, morons, and companies you forgot about.

5. You can also set up the old email address to auto reply to every email it gets. Say something like this "This email address is no longer being monitored. If you really need to contact me, call me and I will give you my new email address." It is important to NOT put your new email address in this message. If you put your new email address in the message, every fornicating spammer will get your new email address. You only want those people who know how to contact you to be able to get your new address.

6. After a month or so, delete the old email account, or continue monitoring it once in a while, whatever.

This procedure has the advantage of eliminating a large number of BS email....from spammers, other people you would rather not hear from any more, and companies you no longer want to receive email from.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Does your ISP offer an email address, with your service?

I thought sure Time Warner gave me 5 with my internet service, but I didn't use any of them.

Might be an option, for stable, no-cost email service.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's not difficult.
View Quote
Show/tell us how this works. You have my attention.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not difficult.
Purchase a domain name, and web hosting with email hosting from any number of providers, such as GoDaddy for a recognizable example.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Granted there are some legitimate reasons for changing email providers. Like Yahoo's data breach.

But some of you do know you can just unsub from from the junk email lists you don't want to be on right..? Lol

You don't NEED to get a whole new email to stop getting junk mail

The option is at the bottom of every email you get
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not difficult.
Actually, Wiz of AWD just told you.

1) Get a domain name (ex:  dicpic.com) (these are assigned by ICANN, but several larger IP providers handle it, such as godaddy.com)  You now have a website @ http://www.dicpic.com
2) Find someone to host your website (godaddy.com is a good choice)
3) Website host will also offer email hosting and assign your names of choice (ex: [email protected]; [email protected]; etc.)  (the email host will give your some magic codes to enter in your email application in your computer so you computer gets your emails for you.)
4) As long as you have a website, how about adding a folder for photographs, such as:  http://www.dicpic.com/pics (this is added using an FTP client, which accesses your website through username and password, I like Fetch, but there are many available free)
5) Load some pictures on your webside (ex:  http;//www.dicpic.com/pics/mydic.jpg and http://www.dicpic.com/pics/boyfrienddic.jpg)
6) Post your dic on ar15 using the image tool and enter your pic location (http://www.dicpic.com/pic/mydic.jpg) and we'll all see you pic.

LOL

It's a s simple as calling godaddy and asking them for this stuff, they will walk you through it.  Warning, they will try to sell you other stuff (protip, never get anything with the words "microsoft" or "windows" in it).
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#29]
When you do don't forget to update your email here. Could save a lot of headaches later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top