Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2024 8:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tholo]
Any good tips for printing bridges?
Specifically, I'm trying to print gridfinity boxes with magnet pockets on the bottom.
Prefer to use cheap pla, but I may test some of the good stuff.
Essentially the roof drops and the magnet won't seat, or supports are a pain in the ass to remove.
Some of the boxes might have 12 or more pockets.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, bridges.
Bambu X1C
.6 nozzle
Pockets for a 6 mm x 2 mm magnet
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I knew if I fired off a vague question with wrong terminology before walking the dogs, I'd have answers when I got home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tholo:
Any good tips for printing bridges?
Specifically, I'm trying to print gridfinity boxes with magnet pockets on the bottom.
Prefer to use cheap pla, but I may test some of the good stuff.
Essentially the roof drops and the magnet won't seat, or supports are a pain in the ass to remove.
Some of the boxes might have 12 or more pockets.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/246073/gridfinity_bottom_jpg-3164014.JPG
View Quote
In that picture, the 4 magnet pockets have unsupported holes in the roof, and those will not print well as shown/designed.  You will NEED support for a clean-ish roof.  
There are ways to design around this, but sounds like you are printing models from someone else.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:09:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tholo] [#6]
yeah, its a configurable storage bin system.

I was poking around in Orca slicer and found Bridge Counterbore Holes. I don't know if this option was present in 1.9.1, but its in 2.0 Beta.
Attachment Attached File

It adds a longer bridge over the counterbore.
Attachment Attached File

as opposed to this
Attachment Attached File

I've got one printing now. Since I don't want to use the central hole, I could have used option 3: sacrificial layer:
Attachment Attached File

it's just one layer thick, so you could easily crack through the hole if you did want to use it.

Edit to add the result: flat bottom hole without post-process
It's hard to focus on the bottom of the hole. Ignore the black line through the pic, you don't get my best mspaint this late on a school night.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top