Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]
3nyears ago I bought a 3 bed 1 bath rental property for 54k.  No way I'd buy a tiny house for 40k, lol.  What a ripoff!  Its a shed with plumbing and electric.   About ten years ago I bought a 12x16 storage barn kit for 2k and built my own loft in it, ran electric for a small workshop and finished the interior, plus added a wood stove, shelves, window ac and a full length counter on one side and I was less than 4k all in. You could build a badass tiny home and probably get enough solar to run it for under 30k easy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I would rather build a shed with an apartment inside
View Quote

I've seen that done before and the owner was pleased. He would walk out of his front door and into his shop.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I'm thinking of buying a tiny home (1 bed, 1 bath, 400 SF) with plumbing, AC, insulation, finished inside and out, brand new, with front porch and kitchen and shower stall. This is not one of those tiny homes on a trailer or wheels. It will be on a pier and beam foundation.

Total cost, around $40K.

I got an empty lot in the city worth about $30K. But you can set it on your own land wherever.

Good idea for a cheap homestead? The house is only about 14' x 26'

Would you go for something like this? Obviously not for a family, but single person or couple.

https://i.ibb.co/jDXQjNy/Screenshot-2.png

https://i.ibb.co/BwZdtww/Screenshot-5.png

https://i.ibb.co/1sw78Z1/Screenshot-6.png

https://i.ibb.co/pKrCZsX/Screenshot-7.png
View Quote

A small pre-fab home could work, but I think the right decision isn't based on "could I live in that much space?", but instead "is this the best investment I can make, given what I have"?.

You already have the land, that's good. Is it paid for?

Are you located in an area with rising home values? Are builders available in your area, or can you do some of the work yourself?

You are going to spend more for a site-built house, and you may build more house than YOU need, but unless you plan to live there forever, the hope is that you can sell it later for a profit.

If you spend $40k "cash", yes you won't have a mortgage, but it may not appreciate like a "real" house would.

The example you posted looks nice for "builder grade", but I would be concerned with having enough insulation to be comfortable and keep your utility costs down, the quality of the materials, and so on. If that $40k turns into a pile of crap in 10 years, are you still coming out ahead in comparison to your original alternatives?

I don't view housing as either pure expense, or a pure investment. It depends entirely on the market in which you plan to live.

If I was forced to live in Seattle where a house was unobtainable, then I would never leverage myself for an insane amount, I would live in someone's back yard in a tiny house and try to minimize the expense.

In other more rational markets though, it may make more sense to build a proper house.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are other better designs that will give you more interior volume, a more useful loft, or scale into a bigger structure.

ETA, that's a prefab, or build on site? If you're gonna build it on site, build something better with the materials.
View Quote

Links?  Only site I really like for building plans is countryplans.com

But I like the idea of scaling into a bigger structure over time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:01:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m into tiny houses and I want one eventually but the best part is high end fixtures. I can do Italian marble countertops since I’d only need 6 square feet of it.
View Quote

LOL
JFC you gots that 6' sq italian Marble but nowhere indoors to store anything.  Nor do you own an appreciating asset.  

"But dat Carrera doh!"

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I actually really like some of shipping containers homes. I’ve yet to see a tiny home I’d consider livable. Of course the wife and I have a 4k sf house and 40x40 shop.
View Quote

The OPs Shed is better than what they are offeringb here for a shipping container house:

https://www.relevantbuildings.com/structure-type/all/
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I often lament the cost of living around here. Then I see shit like this and think maybe it's not so bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I often lament the cost of living around here. Then I see shit like this and think maybe it's not so bad.

I've never seen roads in populated areas anywhere near that bad in Oregon. Apparently the state spends its road money better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely would but I already live in a 750sqft house that is mostly unused.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Build back better and into poverty
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]
That would be fucking perfect on a 20+ acres steak in West Texas.  

I could die a happy happy man in that
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#11]
The inside of that looks amazing honestly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I'm thinking of buying a tiny home (1 bed, 1 bath, 400 SF) with plumbing, AC, insulation, finished inside and out, brand new, with front porch and kitchen and shower stall. This is not one of those tiny homes on a trailer or wheels. It will be on a pier and beam foundation.

Total cost, around $40K.

I got an empty lot in the city worth about $30K. But you can set it on your own land wherever.

Good idea for a cheap homestead? The house is only about 14' x 26'

Would you go for something like this? Obviously not for a family, but single person or couple.

https://i.ibb.co/jDXQjNy/Screenshot-2.png

https://i.ibb.co/BwZdtww/Screenshot-5.png

https://i.ibb.co/1sw78Z1/Screenshot-6.png

https://i.ibb.co/pKrCZsX/Screenshot-7.png
View Quote

It looks nice, of course I would want a large garage to put everything in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Becareful of pier foundations... It's not that they aren't suitable, but insurance can be a huge issue if they will cover it at all. Still haven't found any for mine yet... May be different in your area.
View Quote

Why do insurance companies not like pier foundations?

I have plans to build a 20’ x 24’ house on concrete piers this year if things work out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm seriously considering this. Currently live in a huge house. Last heating bill got me to thinking. I mapped out how much of the house is actually useful for living and it's not much. The rest of the space is redundant or just more walking between areas I'm actually using.
A huge percentage of the space is just storing crap I don't really need. Another big chunk of it is stuff that could go into a garage or be done outside if it wasn't so goddamn cold and snowing.

1000sq feet sounds about right for the family. Shed for storage and a garage for the cars.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#15]
A house that small would get old real quick, no way I could live in that
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#16]
That would be amazing as a second home/cabin on property.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LOL
JFC you gots that 6' sq italian Marble but nowhere indoors to store anything.  Nor do you own an appreciating asset.  

"But dat Carrera doh!"

View Quote

Can’t do it now because I have young kids and stockpile diapers and shit. But really as a single dude how much shit do you need? Do a bidet so not much TP use. Keep 3 dish towels and don’t do paper towels. I already only wear like 5 shirts and 2 pairs of pants, I could get rid of a ton of what I have.

Get a shed for tools and some storage and that’s about it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Since I'm on the older side, I am not a fan of lofts or stairs. I can
see me falling out of the loft especially since I have to get up a couple
of times each night to pee. My knees also would complain. No more
stairs for me.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Put on a lot in CA and poof, it's a $300,000 house.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#20]
My mom has a spare lot next to her house that I could put two, maybe three of those on and for much less than 40K a unit. Getting approval from the town might be tricky unless I greased some palms for a variance.....But wait, if I said I was going to rent them out to "recent Hispanic immigrants" I should be in like Flint....I'm sure there's some federal program I could take advantage of to defer the costs even more.  

Maybe even install a small coin machine laundry and make money on that end too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#21]
You could even put one of those up as a bunkhouse for guests on your main property, to give them a little more privacy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would fo. Make it 100% off grid too.
View Quote

this is my thinking would be a good vacation off grid cabin in the woods setup
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That guy has anger issues....and a bad potty mouth.
View Quote

so whats his username here?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#24]
i knew op was a socially awkward virgin
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For the same money, I don't know why I would want to if I could just have the thing delivered, with a warranty.
View Quote
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that you can spend $40K on a tiny house or for the same money purchase land, tools, and supplies; then build a larger, better built cabin. Since you built it, you can easily repair or expand as you go. I just looked at a wooded two acres, driveway and homesite already cleared, 3 bedroom septic already installed, a concrete pad for a camper (or base for an outbuilding), and a new metal workshop. $15K. That would leave $25K for cabin build.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
3nyears ago I bought a 3 bed 1 bath rental property for 54k.  No way I'd buy a tiny house for 40k, lol.  What a ripoff!  Its a shed with plumbing and electric.   About ten years ago I bought a 12x16 storage barn kit for 2k and built my own loft in it, ran electric for a small workshop and finished the interior, plus added a wood stove, shelves, window ac and a full length counter on one side and I was less than 4k all in. You could build a badass tiny home and probably get enough solar to run it for under 30k easy.
View Quote

Quite a few folks don't want 3 bedrooms.  I'm happy with one.  I have no use for more than that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that you can spend $40K on a tiny house or for the same money purchase land, tools, and supplies; then build a larger, better built cabin. Since you built it, you can easily repair or expand as you go. I just looked at a wooded two acres, driveway and homesite already cleared, 3 bedroom septic already installed, a concrete pad for a camper (or base for an outbuilding), and a new metal workshop. $15K. That would leave $25K for cabin build.
View Quote

Depends where you are. Around me in Georgia I can't touch a piece of land for near what you're talking about paying. I've been looking
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Exactly. Get a pre-fab metal building or a shipping container. Shipping containers would look ghetto, but they are cheap, tough, and easily secured.
View Quote

Just dont make the mistake of buying a metal building to live in.

Friend of mine did that.  Cost him $8000 to have the inside spray-foamed (he's in a very cold climate), then he basically had to build a house within a house as he framed the inside and built a second story inside.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I like the idea of smaller easier to take care of especially as you get older. I don't agree with a new mobile home I had rather have a smaller space with 2x6 walls and more insulation. I would also shop people to stick build onsite if going the shed route. My personal retirement plan is a 24 foot all aluminum cargo trailer converted to tiny house. Setup to be off grid and ideally have a couple small pieces of land to move it around according to the seasons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#30]
400 sf is fucking small.

Would be cool for a hunting cabin though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quite a few folks don't want 3 bedrooms.  I'm happy with one.  I have no use for more than that.
View Quote
I am with you on that. The wife, though, has to have a couple of extra in case
her daughter, hubby and grandkids want to stay over.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
if could afford it (comma) this would be my forever house:

https://www.houseplans.net/uploads/plans/24058/elevations/51210-1200.jpg?v=0
View Quote

Looks neat!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#33]
... where you gonna store guns & ammo?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
The Amish build log cabin trailers for about $10k.  You'd have to do your own interior, wiring and plumbing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#35]
It's actually looks pretty nice inside.  Having to climb that ladder into the loft to sleep every night would get old pretty quick though.  

Seems like it would have a very limited market if you're planning to sell or rent it.  It would make a nice weekend cabin for one or two people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Hell I'm thinking of buying several of these and making a community of them on some land, to prepare for the out-of-state immigrants if Texas secedes.

I'll sell them for $175K each.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Can’t do it now because I have young kids and stockpile diapers and shit. But really as a single dude how much shit do you need? Do a bidet so not much TP use. Keep 3 dish towels and don’t do paper towels. I already only wear like 5 shirts and 2 pairs of pants, I could get rid of a ton of what I have.

View Quote

Precisely.

Once I got out of the "stuff" mindset life became a hell of a lot easier.

All of my belongings aside from my car fit in a 10X15 storage unit with a lot of room to spare. And I have a bunch of hobbies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Precisely.

All of my belongings aside from my car fit in a 10X15 storage unit with a lot of room to spare. And I have a bunch of hobbies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precisely.

Minimalist living is liberating.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precisely.

Absolutely.

The place I just bought it going to look pretty bare due to my lack of furniture
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hell I'm thinking of buying several of these and making a community of them on some land, to prepare for the out-of-state immigrants if Texas secedes.

I'll sell them for $175K each.
View Quote

Hey now. Wife wants to move back to Texas beginning of next year.

How about cutting a fellow arfcomer a better deal.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

If/when I end up moving somewhere else, I'm going to get rid of a TON of shit. Were I to do something like the house I'm now imagining, I'll have a big size garage and some storage capacity, but I don't want to fill it up.

I joke from time to time that the best thing that could happen to me is my house burning down. I'd get tons of money from the insurance, rebuild a better house and then only replace the things I absolutely need. I'd definitely stick to minimalism.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd rather build a shop with a fire-rated demising wall and apartment on one end.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#43]
If I ever get some land to mess around with that is exactly what I'd put on it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There is a spot for a stacked W/D.

The key is to have a separate structure just for storage - shipping container, metal bldg, shed, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The key is to have a separate structure just for storage - shipping container, metal bldg, shed, etc.

Quoted:

In that case, a shed with living quarters is way more bang for the buck, and one less structure to maintain.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Its cool but no room for reloading bench. 400 sq ft - wow, I think I'd go stir crazy. I have 2200 Sq ft and I still have to gather up shit periodically and take it to the recycle dump just to maintain my sanity.

Maybe we'll catch you on an episode of "Hoarders" one night....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's 2021 and working from home is a thing. 3 bedrooms = 1 bedroom if you and your wife both need a home office. But there is definitely a pain-in-the-ass curve with house size. Too small, pain in the ass. Too big, pain in the ass.

Quoted:

Just dont make the mistake of buying a metal building to live in.

Friend of mine did that.  Cost him $8000 to have the inside spray-foamed (he's in a very cold climate), then he basically had to build a house within a house as he framed the inside and built a second story inside.  

View Quote
And now your friend has a well insulated, easy to maintain house that will last longer than a traditional home...?

I haven't done much construction work, but I could competently frame and finish an existing structure. I could not build a house from the ground up.

I personally wouldn't want to live in a shouse (shed house), but it is a great option and can be very cost effective. There is a thread here about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Build back better and into poverty
View Quote

lol  yeah, this is going to be the future for a lot of people once biden's "climate czar" starts running amok (ie john kerry).

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#48]
If I were a single guy I would do something like that.

Except it would be inside of a 10,000 Sq foot shop.  Up on a mezzanine,  with a fire pole that goes to the first level.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I were a single guy I would do something like that.

Except it would be inside of a 10,000 Sq foot shop.  Up on a mezzanine,  with a fire pole that goes to the first level.

View Quote

*stripper pole
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
i knew op was a socially awkward virgin
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top