Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2021 10:22:09 AM EDT
This time I'm making a clone recipe of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.
Hopefully it will be aged enough for the holidays.
Got all the stuff together, time to mill grain...

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks like a lot of grain.
View Quote
Yeah, 17.25 lb grain bill - just got it milled at .028" I hope it all fits in my 10 gallon BIAB kettle (I'm about to find out)...

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it almost all fit...
It actually did fit - until I put the lid on and then the lid indentation pushed about a cup of mash overboard...

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Draining the bag.
Hit my expected pre-boil gravity dead nutz on at 1.073 SG.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I expected a vigorous hot break and I got one, so I had to stay on top of it to prevent the boilover.

Settled down to a nice boil now.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the counterflow wort chiller setup, but the tap water here is still a bit too warm so I'm using my old immersion chiller as a pre-chiller in a brine ice bath to lower the water temp before it gets to the CFC.
That got me from boiling (202°F at my home altitude) to 77°F into the fermenting bucket in one pass through the chiller.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#8]
A couple of days ago I made a 3.5L yeast starter on a stir plate, I will decant it to about 500mL before pitching.

I aeriated for about 45 minutes using an aquarium pump and filter, then pitched the yeast.
And you can see a Tilt 2 floating hydrometer peeking through the foam.

In the fermentation chamber now, I'll post a fermentation chart once the Tilt 2 uploads enough usable data.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, 17.25 lb grain bill - just got it milled at .028" I hope it all fits in my 10 gallon BIAB kettle (I'm about to find out)...

https://a4.pbase.com/o12/72/325172/1/171992667.IRCdZvJT.OldRasputinMilled.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a lot of grain.

https://a4.pbase.com/o12/72/325172/1/171992667.IRCdZvJT.OldRasputinMilled.jpg

I’d say that sound like a lot, but I have 15 lbs of honey waiting on my next batch of mead.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the second time that I have used the Tilt Hydrometer that I recently bought.
Not that I needed it, but I thought it would be a neat little gadget.
The first time I used it I had a few hardware problems with the tablet I was using to run the app, I switched over to an old decommissioned Galaxy S4 and that seems to be working good this time.
This high gravity R.I.P. had an OG of 1.080 and finished fermentation in 5 days with a FG of 1.015 (pretty good attenuation), I ramped the temp down to 38F where it will sit for three weeks before I fine, cold crash, and keg it, then I'll let it sit in the cooler until December before I tap it.
I kind of like this little gadget, not that I really need it for ales but it makes it a little easier for me to see when I should start the diacetyl rest ramp up for lagers.
This is what the report and chart looks like.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top