Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2021 7:35:28 PM EDT
Seems like the blades I buy off the shelf at Home Depot can’t hold an edge for a month…cheap steel.

I’ve got a standard 21” Husqvarna push mower with a Honda engine.

Who makes a high quality steel lawnmower blade?

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Oregon, just buy a pile and swap them often. Sharpen the whole lot all at once then keep swapping
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Gator blades..   I have a mid mount mower on a compact john deere and you can see the difference between the Gator blades and OEM.. the OEM cuts the grass leaves it long, the Gator blades cut it into many more smaller pieces

there was a website like - jacks small engine that carries them

b
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It is really hard to beat the OEM blades most of the time if you have a name brand mower.

Gator blades work well but they are very lightweight compared to OEM blades. [thinner and softer material]

I just spend the few extra bucks on each blade and find, since they last longer, they cost no more then cheaper ones.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll second the gator blades. I put them on my tractor two seasons ago and they still cut nice
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Second for Oregon. They are just as quality as OEM. Probably is OEM.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gator blades work well but they are very lightweight compared to OEM blades. [thinner and softer material]
View Quote

Depends on which ones you buy and what your mower can handle.

I run the Gator 6s on my mower.  They are a full 3" wide X 0.250 thick. Cutting edge clear back to the center hole. They also have a layer of carbide on the under side of the blade out on the ends. They probably weigh double what the factory JD blades weigh.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I run the Gator 6s on my mower.  They are a full 3" wide X 0.250 thick. Cutting edge clear back to the center hole. They also have a layer of carbide on the under side of the blade out on the ends. They probably weigh double what the factory JD blades weigh.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2 g6 for a Deere 54d are some big heavy blades. I can feel the difference especially when stopping the mower.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They suck for Grasshoppers. I could cleave the skull of a Nazi thru the helmet with the OEM ones, the Gators for it...........maybe a ''visitor'' bump hardhat.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oregon, just buy a pile and swap them often. Sharpen the whole lot all at once then keep swapping
View Quote

I work at a Husqvarna dealership fwiw. We only use OEM Husq for the orange stuff or Oregon for non-orange gear.

You got a z246f?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you sharpen the factory edge? You should sharpen your blades around every 10hrs.  Factory new painted edge isn't that sharp.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They suck for Grasshoppers. I could cleave the skull of a Nazi thru the helmet with the OEM ones, the Gators for it...........maybe a ''visitor'' bump hardhat.
View Quote

Which model gator did you try? There are 3.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you sharpen the factory edge? You should sharpen your blades around every 10hrs.  Factory new painted edge isn't that sharp.
View Quote

They are not supposed to be ''razor sharp.'' At 14000 RPM [or a bit less] they don't need to be and a very sharp edge dulls very quickly anyways.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I put a set of the heavy gator blades on my old john Deere L115a.

They don't bog down in heavy stuff and produced a better cut compared to the regular blades.  I gave my neighbor the mower because I was tired of fixing her old POS.

Ill get a set of gators for my new ZT when the,factory blades wear out/get thin from resharpening.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are not supposed to be ''razor sharp.'' At 14000 RPM [or a bit less] they don't need to be and a very sharp edge dulls very quickly anyways.
View Quote

I didn't say razor sharp.  But a factory edge is halfway to dull to begin with.  Thats why you touch up the edge every 10hrs or so.  Mainly depends on the condition you cut in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#15]
https://www.laser-edge.com/
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seems like the blades I buy off the shelf at Home Depot can’t hold an edge for a month…cheap steel.

I’ve got a standard 21” Husqvarna push mower with a Honda engine.

Who makes a high quality steel lawnmower blade?

View Quote

Mow more often and sharpen more often.

I am lucky to get two weeks between sharpenings.

Sort of a PITA but works better.
Around the middle of Virginia.

A sharper angle dulls faster, but leaves  nicer cut.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Kubota zg123s zero turn owner here. When I ran OEM blades I’d go thru 3 sets in a mowing season. Personal use only, non-commercial. Switched to the Oregon g6’s and got a full season out of them. I kept them reasonably sharp and they held an edge far better than the OEM’s. In fact I just this afternoon put my new set on and mowed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I appreciate all of your feedback.

I will give Oregon blades a try. Seems like a popular option.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]
All of this really depends on how often you freshen up the trim on the yard rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top