Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2023 9:49:21 AM EDT
In light of the discussions going on in GD re: the decline of this forum and in consideration of the vast number of trolls and agenda-driven posters here...

Can we get a tool that allows the OP to ban a poster from their thread following bad behavior?

Perhaps also a tool much like the "rate this thread" tool that allows people to vote for someone to be banned from a thread. For example, a poster enters a thread and takes a dump in it, if some number of posters click on the button to vote for their removal then they are banned from that thread.

I really think it would be good for the site as it would remove some ofthe perception of unfairness - like when a new troll rolls in and posts stupid stuff but isn't banned, yet people who speak out againstthem harshly are censored.

If not, please explain why not.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
it is an online forum.....not real life, just ignore them
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Member13:
it is an online forum.....not real life, just ignore them
View Quote

It's not "for me," to be honest I may have a few people on my ignore list...by a few I truly do mean maybe 3 at the most. I never see grey bars so I am guessing they're banned now. I have no problem personally scrolling past, but the things that are accepted here now are very different. Used to be almost self-moderated as you would be harassed if you acted poorly, while now anyone trying to "check" someone is probably getting close to a warning.

It's not even my idea, it was gleaned from another thread. It does merit discussion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Bad idea, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
That would turn the site into another Reddit, meaning it would be a popularity contest. A Handful of posters who start lots of threads would hold sway over most of GD. I think it would make trolling easier.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#5]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Bad idea, IMO.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Make_Mine_Moxie:
That would turn the site into another Reddit, meaning it would be a popularity contest. A Handful of posters who start lots of threads would hold sway over most of GD. I think it would make trolling easier.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. It may indeed be a bad idea, but the current state of affairs isn't improving the site and it doesn't seem that steps are being taken to stem the tide of posters who drive longtime members away. The idea would actually be to reduce the influence of the driveby topic posters, trolls, and pot stirrers. Sure, there may be unintended consequences but something need to start changing.

If nothing else, let's troubleshoot ways that members can make the site better - I believe that is what the original intent of the poster who shared that idea was (don't even remember who it was).

I'm sure I'll get the "What do you know, you've only been here 5 years!" response, but I started coming here regularly in 2011 and didn't register until 2018. The site was livelier, more fun, and members handled idiots without kid gloves without fear of retribution.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

until 2018. The site was livelier, more fun, and members handled idiots without kid gloves without fear of retribution.
View Quote
IIRC, that was when The Pit was still around. For all its faults, a subforum where the whole idea was to be able to attack each other (within reason) gave the whole site a bit of a safety valve which no longer exists.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Make_Mine_Moxie:
IIRC, that was when The Pit was still around. For all its faults, a subforum where the whole idea was to be able to attack each other (within reason) gave the whole site a bit of a safety valve which no longer exists.
View Quote

That is correct, and take it to the pit meant something.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top