Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2022 12:28:58 PM EDT
I recently came across a Krugerrand and to me it looks off a little. It's the 1979 and next to a 1983 for comparison.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Brag thread
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
How do they compare on a scale?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The 1979 coin just looks like it needs to be cleaned.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Possibly exposed to mercury?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd have the 79 tested. It looks very wrong.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at the missing detail on the springbok.

I'd be very suspicious.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Weigh it.  It should be 33.93grams
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Could be the light but looks rough and off-color, not coppery enough, I'd rather have a different one even if real. Have it tested for sure, pawn shops will do it if you don't have a local coin guy
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of details look different.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Details are missing.. its most likely a fake.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Aside from color, there's some serious differences in the minting.

Whether or not this means anything, I don't know. I know bubkus about coins.

But if you take a look at where the hind legs cross, you'll see a glaring difference. Another more subtle difference is Johnny Faceonacoin's chin.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
That 79 looks to light to be fine gold! Also the striking image is total shit.

That looks like more 14k gold color.  

See if it sticks to a magnet.

You may want to go to a local pawn shop and have test it.  

Just say you’re interested in borrowing some money on it.  

Go to a large pawn shop that will have the right equipment to test gold coins and bars. .  If they pass on it, you will know it is fake.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks fucky for sure - where did you get it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Do they weigh the same?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]
The landscape below the springbok, and the lifted hind leg of the animal is missing much detail beyond what a worn die would exhibit. At one troy ounce it should weigh in at 31.103 grams, or 480 grains. Go to a coin website like APMEX and pull up photos of a 1979 Rand. Much different than your photo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Study how the tail on the '79 is different.  Could be phake.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That 79 looks to light to be fine gold! Also the striking image is total shit.

That looks like more 14k gold color.  

See if it sticks to a magnet.

You may want to go to a local pawn shop and have test it.  

Just say you’re interested in borrowing some money on it.  

Go to a large pawn shop that will have the right equipment to test gold coins and bars. .  If they pass on it, you will know it is fake.
View Quote

Could be gold plated tungsten.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]
The antlers are very different.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#21]
My Dad had one of those on a gold chain.

"Dad.....take that off....you look silly."
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#22]
It should weigh 33.93g you can tell quickly by the weight if it is off.

I have three Krugerrands buried in a lock box in my safe the suspect one looks very suspect of being a fake.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The entire face of the animal is very different, but dies do wear out...are they capable of reproducing the exact same configuration from older coins?

Maybe I missed it, is the '79 a known genuine coin? This is the problem with gold as storage of value in the apocalypse. With the Chinese (who else?) known to be flooding the market with these things, are you handing over a cow for one? I wouldn't. How liquid will they actually be when it takes specialized knowledge and equipment to verify the content, and the closest assessment facility is hell-and-gone?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The entire face of the animal is very different, but dies do wear out...are they capable of reproducing the exact same configuration from older coins?

Maybe I missed it, is the '79 a known genuine coin? This is the problem with gold as storage of value in the apocalypse. With the Chinese (who else?) known to be flooding the market with these things, are you handing over a cow for one? I wouldn't. How liquid will they actually be when it takes specialized knowledge and equipment to verify the content, and the closest assessment facility is hell-and-gone?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am no expert but dies do wear.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
What do you mean by “came across”.     Did you buy it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Could be gold plated tungsten.
View Quote

This, made in china.

Years ago they got caught bootlegging gold plated tungsten bars.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

From what I've read, a wearing-die just produces a less "crisp" strike, and muddies some of the detail. That Krug has very different caricature... No expert, but that damn sure doesn't look like die wear.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Can’t tell from the pic but does the ‘79 color look right? It should NOT look like Gold jewelry for example.

Someone tried to sell me a fake Krugerrand. I knew in an instant from the true Gold color it was a fake.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Great, now I have to go dig out my krugerrand and check it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

From what I've read, a wearing-die just produces a less "crisp" strike, and muddies some of the detail. That Krug has very different caricature... No expert, but that damn sure doesn't look like die wear.
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The legs on the Springbok looks the worst.   Also, the rim is irregular on that side.

Eta- I just spent the last 5 minutes looking at pictures online.  Interestingly, none of the known fakes had that detail where the leg fades out as it crosses the other.   The color, and the lack of detail on the flank of the springbok, and the ground, certainly indicates a fake though.

Provident always has them for less than 5% over Spot, free shipping, no tax.  Why would anyone buy one on the street?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can’t tell from the pic but does the ‘79 color look right? It should NOT look like Gold jewelry for example.

Some one tried to sell me a fake Krugerrand. I knew in an instant from the true Gold color it was a fake.
View Quote

Yeah Krugerrand have a higher copper content.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I have always thought those are cool.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll go check. I'll have to sort through a bag of them. I keep it in the glovebox of my 2nd Lamborghini.  It'll take me like 15 minutes to walk to the garage from my hot tub in the living room though. So gimme a sec.

#0.01%erProblemsAmIRight?

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Stuff like this is why I invested in a set of Fisch detectors.  Checks diameter, thickness, and weight. Those catch the majority of fakes.   https://www.thefisch.com

The other check is sound.  Gold coins have a unique sound that the tungsten clones do not.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF? For real? I guess they have to alloy the gold with something because pure gold is so soft, but how much would less than 1% change the overall color?

I bought a fair amount of Baht gold in Thailand in the late 80s, and looked at even more in some of Bangkok's upscale jewelers. It had a buttery soft color, shiny, but very distinct from 14 or 18 karat jewelry.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somehow, people all throughout human history, were able to verify purity, and this was with every Nation intentionally debasing their coins from time to time.    Yes, people are getting stoopider and spooopider, but the successful vendors who Have stuff to trade or sell, are generally smarter than average.   For a small purchase, they just collect shavings on a scale.    

People are far more resourceful than you could possibly imagine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

WTF? For real? I guess they have to alloy the gold with something because pure gold is so soft, but how much would less than 1% change the overall color?

I bought a fair amount of Baht gold in Thailand in the late 80s, and looked at even more in some of Bangkok's upscale jewelers. It had a buttery soft color, shiny, but very distinct from 14 or 18 karat jewelry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought everyone knew that the Krugerrand wasn't 100% gold.  It's 22-karat, or about 92%.

The Krugerrand does in fact contain 1 troy ounce of gold, so the coin weighs more than ~.99 gold coins.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#39]
There’s a ton of fakes on aliexpress. I wouldn’t buy anything I couldn’t test on a sigma machine
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I thought everyone knew that the Krugerrand wasn't 100% gold.  It's 22-karat, or about 92%.

The Krugerrand does in fact contain 1 troy ounce of gold, so the coin weighs more than ~.99 gold coins.
View Quote

By "everyone" I assume you mean gold bugs. I highly doubt anyone outside that realm has a clue, including me, and I actually do some light reading on the subject from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Brag thread
View Quote

Neither of those look like mine.  All 500 of mine have that bronze tint to them
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

By "everyone" I assume you mean gold bugs. I highly doubt anyone outside that realm has a clue, including me, and I actually do some light reading on the subject from time to time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be nasty.  It's one of those things that I assumed people interested in gold coins learned very early on.

Krugerrand on Wiki
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Crown Gold”. Look it up on Wikki.   It was used in nearly all gold coinage, and was everyday common knowledge up until very recently.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, did you Buy it?     From where?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'll go check. I'll have to sort through a bag of them. I keep it in the glovebox of my 2nd Lamborghini.  It'll take me like 15 minutes to walk to the garage from my hot tub in the living room though. So gimme a sec.

#0.01%erProblemsAmIRight?

View Quote

THIS is the way
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#46]
The color is right, but the lighting makes it look too yellow. Dimensionally, it is correct. I don't have a scale to check it.  It's the details in the coin that concern me. Could it have been polished?  It's too washed out to be a worn die I think.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The color is right, but the lighting makes it look too yellow. Dimensionally, it is correct. I don't have a scale to check it.  It's the details in the coin that concern me. Could it have been polished?  It's too washed out to be a worn die I think.
View Quote

If it's plated tungsten the weight will be almost identical.  There are assaying devices that should be able to tell the difference without destructive testing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Dude on the back must have gotten a facelift and nose job.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top