Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2020 5:46:11 PM EDT
I like to make up a relatively big batch of chicken & noodles or ham & beans on occasion.  I've got a couple of what I think were pressure cookers that kind of came w/ the house. They work well, and are nice and heavy which makes the heat transfer well/even but they're a bit too small.   If I make up chicken & noodles w/ a full chicken, then remove the bones and add enough noodles I run out of space for as much liquid as I think it should have.   They're just a little too cramped.  I'm not sure what the next size or two up would be.    Any suggestions for a good soup pot, not cast iron, and something that will fit in the typical dishwasher to cleanup after I'm done?   I'd like something good that will last, but my budget isn't unlimited.    I picked up a set of these https://home.woot.com/offers/calphalon-spacesaving-7-pc-cookware-set  recently and have been happy w/ them so far.   I'd like to keep it under $100, but that's somewhat negotiable if there is something much better for a little more.  I can't spend $400 or $500 for one.

I just checked them.    The one I use the most is roughly 9" in diameter internally and roughly 6" deep.  The other is smaller at roughly 8.5 x 4.5.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
For cooking a pot of beans, chili or soup, sometimes my 5 quart pot is just a little too small. By the time I add everything, its clear up to the brim. So I prefer my stainless steel 8 qt stock pot with a glass lid. It has a copper core base which seems to help with controlling the heat.

Not sure if it would fit in a dishwasher though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For cooking a pot of beans, chili or soup, sometimes my 5 quart pot is just a little too small. By the time I add everything, its clear up to the brim. So I prefer my stainless steel 8 qt stock pot with a glass lid. It has a copper core base which seems to help with controlling the heat.

Not sure if it would fit in a dishwasher though.
View Quote

I think that pressure cooker is about 6.5 qts if I did the math correctly.    I think I'm looking for something in the 10 maybe 12 qt range, but I'm not quite sure.   5 quarts would be way to small when I make that type of thing I'm cooking for then and a batch of lunches.  I make a large pot, then split it up for leftovers.  I think we got 4 large bowls out of it and then 7 bags that will be a fairly large bowl for lunches when heated up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, you want a big one. Amazons Choice 12 quart has a ton of good ratings and its not too expensive. SS with aluminum layered base for even heat distribution.

I like the glass lid so I can see the simmer without having to remove the lid.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I found one.  It's over my budget, but I really like the quality of the other three pots and pans I have from them.  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KWGYMG
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
My 5 qt Tri-Ply pot is a Calphalon. Just looked it up, damn...don't remember giving $72 for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
pressure cooker for anything using dried beans, esp if you are at high alt.

Now, a nice Calphalon Stainless steel pot would work well; get heavy weight  versus ultra light weight.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My 5 qt Tri-Ply pot is a Calphalon. Just looked it up, damn...don't remember giving $72 for it.
View Quote
I like the three pots/pans that I've got from them.  There's a bit of sticker shock on it, but there's no comparison to the cheap stuff I had before.    I suspect it'll be like the knives I have.  Instead of buying one big expensive set I'll end up buying what I need, hopefully some of it on sale.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO, even if you have no plans of using induction get one that is induction capable. #1 Induction is on the rise for popularity and capabilities. You may find yourself wanting to try it in the future, you don't want to have to be faced with replacing a bunch of cookware if that time ever comes. #2 Induction cookware, by it's very nature, needs a heavier bottom so induction cookware won't be super thin on the bottom.

That being said, I have a 12 qt stainless I bought when I bought my first home. I just remember needing a bigger stock pot than the one that came with the set of hand-me-downs my mon gave me. I went to Walmart and the only one that wasn't paper thin was a Tramontina Professional. It cost a bit more than the thin ones, but IIRC, it wasn't bad. About 12 years ago it was around $24. It has served me well, and while I didn't care one bit about it being induction capable then, now that I've remodeled my kitchen and put in an induction cooktop I'm sure glad it was capable bc all of our non-induction cookware had to be replaced.

Speaking of induction. Modern induction is mind-blowing!! I can boil water faster on my residential induction cooktop than a commercial gas range can. Instant heat changes and incredibly low low-heat levels...if you ever have the chance, at least check it out. I wanted gas until I tried induction.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IMHO, even if you have no plans of using induction get one that is induction capable. #1 Induction is on the rise for popularity and capabilities. You may find yourself wanting to try it in the future, you don't want to have to be faced with replacing a bunch of cookware if that time ever comes. #2 Induction cookware, by it's very nature, needs a heavier bottom so induction cookware won't be super thin on the bottom.

That being said, I have a 12 qt stainless I bought when I bought my first home. I just remember needing a bigger stock pot than the one that came with the set of hand-me-downs my mon gave me. I went to Walmart and the only one that wasn't paper thin was a Tramontina Professional. It cost a bit more than the thin ones, but IIRC, it wasn't bad. About 12 years ago it was around $24. It has served me well, and while I didn't care one bit about it being induction capable then, now that I've remodeled my kitchen and put in an induction cooktop I'm sure glad it was capable bc all of our non-induction cookware had to be replaced.

Speaking of induction. Modern induction is mind-blowing!! I can boil water faster on my residential induction cooktop than a commercial gas range can. Instant heat changes and incredibly low low-heat levels...if you ever have the chance, at least check it out. I wanted gas until I tried induction.
View Quote

Induction sounds cool, but I've got a relatively new glass cooktop that came w/ the house.    I'm better off spending my money on tons of other areas before I get to that upgrade.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Induction sounds cool, but I've got a relatively new glass cooktop that came w/ the house.    I'm better off spending my money on tons of other areas before I get to that upgrade.  
View Quote

I totally understand; just making the point that it's worth it to get induction compatible cookware so that IF you ever make the switch you don't also have to replace all your cookware.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top