Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2019 8:08:31 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

KM 131.  It's the biggest Kombi they make.  I really like the trimmer set up with the saw blade for cutting brush and big weeds but I need a new pole saw too. For using the saw blade the bicycle grips are awesome. My parents got us a gift certificate for about half the cost for the Stihl dealer so I'm getting a Stihl.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot speak to that model, but I have been nothing but thrilled with my Stihl 90 trimmer.  That thing is money.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Echo better,just my two cents.  If you add .98 more you can get a dr Pepper from the cheap machine
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Stihl or Echo are both good choices. Talking commercial grade stuff, I have little to no experience with the homeowner lines of either.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Stihl doesn't offer any of their Kombi systems in the bike handle version in the US.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks ergonomically weird. It might make more sense in person, though.

That said, in my experience, the wider a variety of jobs a tool is intended to do, the less ideal it seems to be for any job in particular. It'll be interesting to see what sort of experiences people have with this system in particular.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Go bigger
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The Kombi is the way to go, and the closest you will get to the two-hand operation is the Yard Boss. I doubt it would be as handy, even with the wheels.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Get one that says Echo on it that’s the kind of sthil that you want
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
All I can contribute is that I have a Stihl FS110 with handlebars, and it's been a total champ.  I cut down an 7-8" diameter tree with it with a saw blade installed.  It took a little work, but it did it.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stihl doesn't offer any of their Kombi systems in the bike handle version in the US.
View Quote
Well that sucks.

I wonder if it can be ordered?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I switched everything to the Kombi and it has been awesome...
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I would have bought the KM 131 from the start. I ended up piecing together a bunch of dedicated tools, which is much more expensive, and means I have a million engines to care for. Hell, just my Stihl HT 103 cost me more than the big Kombi and an attachment or two. I have a Husqvarna trimmer, Echo Chain saw, and various other brands for the rest.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Stihl is good to go.  I have Echo and Stihl and to me Stihl is far better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have that exact unit with the string trimmer, edger, blower, blade and pruning attachments.

It's a beast and has NEVER bogged down on me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I cannot speak to that model, but I have been nothing but thrilled with my Stihl 90 trimmer.  That thing is money.
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well that sucks.
View Quote
If you buy an FS130 Bike handle trimmer, they make gearbox attachments for those that almost mirror the Kombi system attachments. All you have to do is change the entire gearbox out at the bottom of the trimmer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy a Speed Feed trimmer head for it, about $30 and worth it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That said, in my experience, the wider a variety of jobs a tool is intended to do, the less ideal it seems to be for any job in particular. It'll be interesting to see what sort of experiences people have with this system in particular.
View Quote
I've been using an FS trimmer set up the same way and its pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Go bigger
View Quote
That's the biggest one!
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#20]
KM 131 here.  It's awesome.   We've got a big pond and lot's of grass.   Run's all day.

I wish you can get them with the handle bars, but you can buy the parts and install one for $75 or so.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Am I the only one who had a hell of a time ever getting their Stihl trimmer to start? Took me longer to get it started than to trim the lawn (not a big yard) so I sold it and got an electric.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buy a Speed Feed trimmer head for it, about $30 and worth it.
View Quote
I'll start googling, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#23]
You won’t go wrong with it. The bike handles look weird but man I love them when you’re doing more than a small yard.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one just like it with the bike handles.  Used it for 14 years with out a problem.  Have the plastic trimmer head, the 3 finger plastic head and 2 different metal blades.

My dad has the same one he got 25+ years ago.  Maybe not same model, but a Sthil in that configuration.   It's been used on the farm the whole time.

I ran one like that for 6 summers at a state park clearing trails and trimming camp grounds.  It only died when someone put straight gas through it.

I changed out the single shoulder harness to a 2 shoulder with a chest strap to even the weight out for multi hour work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the KM131 with the loop handle with the trimmer, blade, articulating hedger, pole saw, edger and cultivator attachments.  I had the Honda trimmer with the bike handles and found them harder to maneuver.

The Kombi system is great.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#26]
FO!
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve got the km110r  with string/blade head, and pole saw for 6 years now.  It has always cranked within 3 pulls.  I like the one power head as I use the weed eater in the spring/summer and pole saw more in the deer woods fall/winter.  This means the gas never sits to long.  I’m thinking of getting the pole saw extension and the hedge trimmer for mine now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been using and abusing a Stihl FS 85 for 22 years.  Everything from blackberry patches in Oregon to the hardwoods of the midwest.  I use a blade most of the time.

When the blade is sharp it is like pure sex.  

Keeping circular blades sharp can be a drag though.

I saw go for it.

ETA:  I just learned last year about using very heavy landscaper grade string.  it really works so much better.   I can't believe I didn't know about this before.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well that sucks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks.

Just get the FS131 trimmer, you can still use all the attachments, you just connect at the head instead of half shaft.  Bike handle sucks for anything but trimmer use, get the regular handle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just get the FS131 trimmer, you can still use all the attachments, you just connect at the head instead of half shaft.  Bike handle sucks for anything but trimmer use, get the regular handle.
View Quote
I wonder if you could get both and change it out?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Get the Kombi. No tool to switch heads, it lines up on its own, and kombi attachemens are not that much more expensive.

Can you even add an extension shaft to a string trimmer model for use with the pole pruner.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wonder if you could get both and change it out?
View Quote
I initially looked at that when I switched to the kombi.   The trigger mechanism is on the shaft on the loop and on the handle of the bike bar.  Having to buy the bar and the control, and then switching them both each time would be more than my skill set allows.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You’d be wrong. The kombi system is fantastic, to say the least.

Bicycle handlebars for a trimmer a game changer on big jobs or heavy duty work. Not always the best for small jobs though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You’d be wrong. The kombi system is fantastic, to say the least.

Bicycle handlebars for a trimmer a game changer on big jobs or heavy duty work. Not always the best for small jobs though.
View Quote
I like the handlebars.  With that said, I keep a cheapie Echo lightweight trimmer for light work around the house.  My Stihl is for heavier duty work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Another in the line that I love my Kombi stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Replace the string with knives. Big ones. Like Cold Steel Chinese War Swords:

COLD STEEL- IRON PROOF 2018- Chinese War Sword Machete

Chop up everything. Make vids with lots of ketchup squirting everywhere. Post pics on UK forums.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Kombi is the way to go, and the closest you will get to the two-hand operation is the Yard Boss. I doubt it would be as handy, even with the wheels.
View Quote
I have a Yard Boss with the trimmer head attachment & it's the lightest, fastest three wheeled trimmer anywhere.
I used to fight with my FS90 in the ditch I have to trim. Now it's a one hand operation just guiding the yard Boss.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Whatever you get make sure to use the premix no ethanol gas blends that they sell.  I've been using the motomix stuff that stihl sells and have had no problems leaving it loaded up overr the winter nto the next season.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought an Echo, the least expensive one they offer, $199. + tax. Couldn't be more satisfied. I only wish I had bought it 5 years earlier instead of suffering with a Homelite Bandit that leaked gas on my shoes and pants.
When I did my research I found that most of the companies like Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna had merged. One is as good as the next.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I want one also, specifically for the saw blade attachment.

I would like to get a half-price coupon.

Mixed results with Stihl. Now that I've 'learned' how to maintain them and start them I'm ok.

Just ran an 'occasional use' MS170 chain saw hard for three days clearing dead trees, honeysuckle, small cedars, oaks, elm and it ran to the last drop of gas. Two chains worth of cutting.

Ran a FS55 weed trimmer through tough vines, briar bushes and sapling shoots using the plastic cutting arms with the expected non-stop action.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I like the handlebars.  With that said, I keep a cheapie Echo lightweight trimmer for light work around the house.  My Stihl is for heavier duty work.
View Quote
That's where we're at.  My wife bought a Ryobi cordless trimmer for the grass around the house.  I use for clearing the ditch, around the pond and clearing trails.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Whatever you get make sure to use the premix no ethanol gas blends that they sell.  I've been using the motomix stuff that stihl sells and have had no problems leaving it loaded up overr the winter nto the next season.
View Quote
I'm using ethanol free rec fuel for everything but the cars.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I run the Kombi on my 18 acres.   Probably the best tool(s) I have.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I don’t have any experience with the Kombi system, but I’ve been beyond pleased with the FS 90.  I’ve never had the trimmer head on it, go back and forth between the saw blade and the brush knife.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ETA:  I just learned last year about using very heavy landscaper grade string.  it really works so much better.   I can't believe I didn't know about this before.
View Quote
I had always used standard string.  Last time I needed some, I bought some higher-end stuff that was shaped like Twizzlers with a spiraling X pattern that was fairly pointed on the tips.  I couldn't believe the difference.  It mows through grass and weeds and briars way better, and it lasts longer before I have to feed out more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#46]
You will like it.   Use no ethanol gas.  Had issues related to the ethanol with mine, but that was fixed.    But I have had mine for 10 + years.   Think I have about every attachment for it.   Now that my boys are older, I have thought about getting 2nd power head, so one can do trimming while I am doing something else.

I use pole saw and hedge trimmers a lot.  Blower comes in handy as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#47]
My kombi tool is the best tool I’ve ever bought.I’ve got the brush trimmer,hedge trimmer and string trimmer and it’s a beast.I give it an A+++++
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#48]
KM131 owner here. I have the string trimmer, the cultivator, the adjustable hedge trimmers, pole saw, and the blower attachment.  All work awesome - waste of money for the blower attachment though.  Works great, just a regular blower is better.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#49]
You’ll love it. I bought the 3’ pole exit on also.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Without question.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top