BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Born here,  but I am listed in my family tree back in Korea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At what age did you come to America?

It’s a very strange las. Many adoptees fear - rightfully so - that even returning to visit their country of birth will result in their arrest and enlistment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So you avoided your obligation to your country not by your parents contributing important financial infrastructure, but simply by fleeing.

Got it.
View Quote

Daaaaaamn that was quick to be the dumbest mother fucker in the thread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I think my bud has a similar story.  His parents brought him to America from Greece at like 9 years old.

He visited the old country as an adult and got some stern "y u no serve" interrogations and threats of arrest.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m not even Korean and I did a year there defending them from the NORKs.  You are welcome OP.
View Quote

What would happen if OP enlisted in the US Army, got stationed in Korea, then got picked up for that open warrant?
View Quote

Probably it’d be caught during overseas screening and the orders would be pulled. There are always a couple of Korean-American sailors who can’t disembark whenever a CSG pulls into Busan.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
How did the gov know about you to come looking for you?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not even Korean and I did a year there defending them from the NORKs.  You are welcome OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh. No. My case would be more plausible. I was born in Seoul. My mother was a citizen of S. Korea at the time. I'm American through my father.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So you avoided your obligation to your country not by your parents contributing important financial infrastructure, but simply by fleeing.

Got it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How did the gov know about you to come looking for you?
View Quote

Koreans have a running log of births in a book of the family tree.  Family is very important in Korea as it determines your station in life.  An orphan in Korea is fucked and that’s why so many were adopted by Americans.

They publish his book and you can actually buy one to prove your parentage.  

When I was in school I rear ended a professor.  I did the right thing and pulled over and gave him my info.  Turns out he had the same last name as me.  He raised his eye brow asked for my phone number and told me to goto class.  Turns out he was a distant cousin of my paternal grandfather who had died in WWII.  Boom!  Instant family. Instead of a ticket I got invited to dinner and became a family member.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's a troll thread.

Got it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What would happen if OP enlisted in the US Army, got stationed in Korea, then got picked up for that open warrant?
View Quote

USA would invade South Korea with North Korea and Dennis Rodman.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure the S. O. F. A. has something covering that
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

OP was trolling by alluding to having been born in ROK. Lol.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Conscription is for dirtbag countries. Democrats love it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So it's a troll thread.

Got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's a troll thread.

Got it.

That makes no sense.  You’re just embarrassed for typing without thinking to be edgy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same here.  '91 - '92 at Camp Casey.
View Quote

Camp Stanley '94 - 95'.  Nothing more useless than a KATUSA.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

No he didn’t.  In fact in the very first post he said he was an American and lives in the US
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I grew up in a military town, some of our dual national seniors had to report to induction in the Bundeswehr (German army.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I did a year in Korea and served with KATUSAs who were all conscripted.  KATUSAs are Koreans that serve their conscription embedded into US units, they're almost all from well off families and mostly going to college in the US.  I was the HHC company orderly and worked with the Senior KATUSA and saw pretty much all the goings on with them.  There were about 10% dudes that made the most of it and were great, about 80% that accepted their reality and were mostly OK with close supervision, and about 10% that were mad at life and that they had to be there.  The 10% made more trouble than the other 90% were worth.  

We had a guy show up that acted like he couldn't speak or understand English for about 3 months, which was weird because it's a requirement to be a KATUSA.  Turned out he was a student at Penn State and got got getting off the plane for summer vacation and instead of a vacation he went to boot camp.  When that revelation was made they made the decision to send him back to the Korean army.  When he was informed he had a full blown tantrum that ended with him rolling around on the floor bawling his eyes out.

With conscription, you get what you get.  Most of them don't want to be there and will get over any way they can once your back is turned.  I wouldn't want to be in a military full of conscripts.  We had less than 30 in a unit of 300 and they were mostly more trouble than they were worth.  Russia's lack of success in Ukraine probably has a lot to do with that.  Now that they're rounding up every military age male they can I think they're going to find that they have more problems, not less.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In any case, Kim Jong Un's sister?  Would you hit it?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/kim2_jpg-2535740.JPG
View Quote
she is not the slightest big attractive and I got the yellow fever as bad as beitdstrfe
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Got it.
View Quote

He's American he has no obligation to any other country.

Go sit in the corner
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Country of origin."

Which is a weasel way of avoiding saying you were born there while strongly implying it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Koreans have a running log of births in a book of the family tree.  Family is very important in Korea as it determines your station in life.  An orphan in Korea is fucked and that’s why so many were adopted by Americans.

When I was in school I rear ended a professor.  I did the right thing and pulled over and gave him my info.  Turns out he had the same last name as me.  He raised his eye brow asked for my phone number and told me to goto class.  Turns out he was a distant cousin of my paternal grandfather who had died in WWII.  Boom!  Instant family. Instead of a ticket I got invited to dinner and became a family member.
View Quote

Wow!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m not even Korean and I did a year there defending them from the NORKs.  You are welcome OP.
View Quote

Don't kid yourself, you were a place holder for a year that gave the US a reason to use NUKES if NK ever invaded.  The NK invasion of SK would be over in hours, and any resistance would be squashed, then the US would NUKE NK
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#26]
In before bitch ass Biden deports your ass to make his commie masters happy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck it don't go back OP. You are better off here anyway (I think)
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone else thought this was one of those automated phone call threads?
"There is an IRS arrest warrant out for you at this address"
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Maternal grandpa died fighting the Japanese near the end of WWII.

Step granddad,  was a northerner who was a Boy Scout which the norks considered a paramilitary organization and would killed him or imprisoned him, so his folks packed him up and made him walk south before the norks were able to reach his village.

He was a smart kid and spoke English.  American docs in a mash unit took him in. Just like the tv show. One of the officers took him home to Kansas City.  He went to college and med school.

Paternal grandfather did two tours in Vietnam in the US army.  He was stationed at Ft Lewis for a long time afterward till he retired.

View Quote

OP, You have an incredible family history.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sometimes that happens. State Department I think has to sort it all out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Leave it to incompetent government to get facts wrong and never admit it.

It’s not just a western problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Heck ya,  I was so smart I was a fetus in my moms uterus Womb.
View Quote

Let's hope you don't become a physician
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#34]
In!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure you volunteered for that, top gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#36]
There are some dumb MF'ers in GD  

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#37]
My great uncle was taken from his house at gunpoint during ww2 for not showing up for his draft. He’d already enlisted in a different branch. He had a framed apology letter from a general.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I’d like to bang a Korean chick. Never have.
View Quote

Dated two, they are crazy. Both 100% Korean, born in ROK, but have lived in the US since they were infants. Even my Asian friends say Koreans are crazy. Just so anyone doesn’t accuse me of driving these women crazy, totally possible, I have been friends with a few Korean females and they were crazy too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks for your service to my country of origin and what I consider my home country.

I did go back when I was older and the native Koreans called me an American. They can tell.  Didn’t hurt I was twice their size.  Steaks and milk will do that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By :

...we got a genius over here, even has telepathic powers to tell Mom to leave....maybe even before a fetus (not sure).......

All jokes aside, good luck OP...hope they figure it out.

Thanks for your service to my country of origin and what I consider my home country.

I did go back when I was older and the native Koreans called me an American. They can tell.  Didn’t hurt I was twice their size.  Steaks and milk will do that

Your welcome...but in ARFCOM fashion...get both ...I got this gift bag when I got off the ship, quickest thing I could find to grab a pic of.  I have a hat and a few other "trinkets" from that.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I always wanted to be an international fugitive. That would be an awesome icebreaker.
View Quote

STFU man.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Koreans have a running log of births in a book of the family tree.  Family is very important in Korea as it determines your station in life.  An orphan in Korea is fucked and that's why so many were adopted by Americans.

View Quote
I mean, they only have like 300 last names total, and Kim is half the population.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you made 70 bucks a month, had a masters degree, spoke perfect English with a midwestern accent, and were getting treated like shit by some jackass that can barely read and doesn't even speak English as a first language, you'd be lazy as fuck too. I can't blame them at all. I loved my KATUSAs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Dad was a US Marine 52-54 in Korea, a pilot.  The airfield was guarded by ROK Marines, and one day a detachment of ROK soldiers arrived. went to the barber shop and grabbed a Korean barber, took him around the corner and shot him with a Garand rifle.  Killed him on the spot.  His crime?  Desertion.
Right in front of God and everyone...and they just walked out and left him according to Dad.   Dad said he looked about 16-17 years old.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a troop in a similar predicament. Different country though.

He was coded by the MPF and couldn’t be sent to his birth country for PCS or TDY.

It didn’t effect his career as it wasn’t an area the DoD was particularly active in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Go sit in the corner
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

Go sit in the corner
Read OP, then go sit in the corner on your waifu pillow.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

We had an Korean-American in my unit.  He spoke Korean better than many of the KATUSAs spoke English.  The CO made him his driver, so he could have a more trusted interpreter.  Pissed the guy off IIRC, he just wanted to be a soldier.  He hated Koreans, or at least he hated KATUSAs.  I only had a couple of conversations with him, so I'm not really sure what his background was.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Huh...
I might have an arrest warrant too. I never had Korean citizenship though; my name is also as American-hillbilly as they come.

You got a Hangul name OP?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I don’t want to derail this, but I turned 18 in MCRD San Diego in June 84.  My mother forwarded me a letter from the selective service in July stating that “if I didn’t sign up for selective service in the next 30 days, I would face up to 5 year felony and up to 250,000 dollar fine. “

Kind of the same
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No he didn't.  In fact in the very first post he said he was an American and lives in the US
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

No he didn't.  In fact in the very first post he said he was an American and lives in the US
No. He said his country of origin was ROK and his grandma said he was an American.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Must be the kimchi version of tide pod eaters.

Our Katusas were awesome.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top