Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 11:56:11 AM EDT
The 3D printer is placed on top of the foundation under cover from the weather. It then builds the walls of the home in 2-3 days.

https://www.iconbuild.com/updates/icon-new-story-echale-unveil-first-homes-in-3d-printed-community

New Story + ICON + Échale | “3D Printed Housing for Those Who Need It Most”
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
But will they leave them unfinished to avoid property tax?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like FPNI is not happening today.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Spicy
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
China and the US has had this for years. Nothing new because it was mexican
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If it can't build high density low income apartment complexes in the middle of the suburbs, it won't catch on in the USA.

And insert a random joke about how all housing in Mexico is soon to be temporary housing as the entire population moves to the USA for freebies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks really cool. Could be an option for small cabin on property.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
How much to 3d print me a shop building?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to know how they plan on getting electrical and plumbing in the walls.

edit its mexico, electrical and plumbing not needed they will just dump chamber pots outside
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
yo where can I download house stls
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
China and the US has had this for years. Nothing new because it was mexican
View Quote

The new part is that it will be an entire community.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure they can 3D-print some rebar sticking out of the roof.

The hard part is printing realistic roof dogs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would like to know how they plan on getting electrical and plumbing in the walls.
View Quote

Surface conduits for electrical. You can see that in the video. The plumbing is probably in the slab and then surface to the fixture.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Any idea what the "advanced material" is they're using?

edit: hadn't watched the video. It's lavacrete
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Skeets out like an electronic dirt robber. Interesting. I guess it take two days to allow for the newly extruded concrete paste to set for the next pass.

Video shows it fully furnished after. I wonder what type of roof system it has and how much is the cost for just the shell?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any idea what the "advanced material" is they're using?
View Quote

Probably just some sort of concrete that is relatively fine and easily extruded.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The new part is that it will be an entire community.
View Quote
2014. This is the same feel good , water well village story shared every year . The one you linked is over 2 years old
https://inhabitat.com/chinese-company-assembles-ten-3d-printed-concrete-houses-in-one-day-for-less-than-5000-each/winsun-3d-printed-houses-7/

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Surface conduits for electrical. You can see that in the video. The plumbing is probably in the slab and then surface to the fixture.
View Quote

So 3 days To build the "structure" then 2 weeks for every other trade to come finish it. And they are only 500 sq ft. I would bet you could do better with manufactured housing. Truck it the site and drop it on a foundation, then hook up power and water and move in.

Also even if its some kind of foamed concrete, it does not have much insulation value, in a country that gets plenty warm.

My bet is its another, look what we did with a bunch of .gov grants. Give us more and we can build all these houses, and it works out to the equiv of 300,000 for each house in the end.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hope they put vertical rebar in the walls.

In arid Mexico a printed adobe wall would work as well.

View Quote

they do not appear to be reinforcing it. Just what the third world needs more unreinforced masonry construction in earthquake hazard areas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be worried about the winds as well as dry desert environment.  Will it crack.   Do they have woodpeckers?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Apparently, adobe has a very long cure time - several weeks before it can support weight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Its a polymer concrete. Some are even thermoset.

Lavacrete Wiki
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tabasco is swampy, not arid.

You realize that there are different types of terrain in Mexico, right?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

edit its mexico, electrical and plumbing not needed they will just dump chamber pots outside
View Quote

I saw surface conduit running on the interior wall in the video and a pipe of some sort coming down from the roof on an exterior shot, so I imagine that is the plan.  Also shouldn't be to hard to add in channels or dead spaces for pipes and cabling to run into your build program.

All in all very neat way of constructing small cheap buildings rapidly.  I can see a LOT of applications for it in the military realm, rural/austere environment construction, and for low cost housing.

I wonder what there cost is for printing those houses before finishing work like electrical and plumbing is added.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Malvina Reynolds - Little Boxes (Weeds Theme Song) Full Version with Lyrics
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#26]
In before the unintended consequences

You know, like donating all those clothes to Africa destroyed any local textile and clothing industry.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Can it make a pizza oven?

It’s big, how about printing some artillery?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you have a governor by the name of Prickster...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I think it is cool OP, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me in terms of matching the environment:

In these areas of Mexico we can reasonably assume:

• Labor is cheap, because these people occupy the bottom of the labor market

• Relative to labor, certain materials (plumbing and electrical fixtures) are probably very expensive

• Relative to labor, certain bulk materials (cement, rebar) are probably expensive (and why their usual houses are made of trash)

• The people/areas lacking housing probably also lack access to education/services to improve their lot

• The areas are also probably poorly served by infrastructure/sanitation (they will need their own)

• Raises a question what kind of work is available in their area that they can't improve their lot (hopefully excluding illicit activity)

So to solve this, they are applying a solution that is high tech, novel, and untested (beyond their local capability to implement). And we don't know what the plan is once the development is finished--do they take their nice machine with them and move on to the next town?

Aside from now having a house, what is the lasting benefit (how have they changed from before)?

I think this is more appropriate for their situation:
Earth Block Start Up Mozambique

It's "low tech", doesn't require that all of the electronics and nozzles and mix designs work together properly, and it makes blocks out of dirt with 8% cement, probably much less than whatever is in the 3D extruder, while also not requiring any hard to obtain or expensive admixtures.

It also lays up just like a conventional cement block, so the locals can learn a skill that they can use to earn money. The machine is also simple enough that you could leave it with them, and then they can build anything else they want, or turn it into their own business building for others. Livestock sheds, outhouses, small shops, whatever.

While labor is cheap, you can feed the block machine with a bunch of dudes with shovels and buckets. If they earn enough money, they can eventually add small equipment to make the process easier.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Pretty neat IMO, I think it can get better as the tech improves.

I probably won't see it, but when they get 3D printers in space building ships it will be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#32]
It's about time.
Buy a house printer and a truck to haul it around on and you have a sweet gig printing houses where you can jack knife that rig into. When finished drive off and let the other guys finish it off. Bet the carpenters union has a hissy fit over this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:50:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's likely the reason I specified arid Mexico.  Not Mexico.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tabasco is swampy, not arid.

You realize that there are different types of terrain in Mexico, right?

That's likely the reason I specified arid Mexico.  Not Mexico.

Yet the article is specifically about Tabasco.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Probably as shitty as that spicy vinegar sauce.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top