BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BASE:

I just came across these band pegs at Titan. Adding pegs to my platform has been on my to-do list for years.  I was going to weld up some but I don't think its worth it with them selling them for $70.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/strength-accessories/deadlift-platforms/deadlift-band-pegs/400059.html

I guess they might not be ideal if you are building a platform with the rack on it. I can imagine getting toes stuck under them when walking around the side of the rack
View Quote

I bought the smallest trailer hold downs that I could find with the intention of routering them flush with the platform and then using carabiners.  Too lazy to get around to it, but might be a better option than tripping over pegs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
And another bump.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
welp, I've got a Rogue power bar enroute.

Should be home about the same time as me. Got a pair of 45s and a squat rack with a pullup bar. It's a start.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, Greyskull is working. Just ramping up to the working weight from an empty bar with 45%, 65%, 85% with 5 reps. 2x5 and 1xAMRAP. Then a backoff AMRAP at 85%.

Knees feel great compared to the whole of last year.

Squat is almost back to 2 plates, which sucks considering I was closing in on 3 at one point, but I'll take what I can get. I think not doing shit because my knees hurt just made them worse which made me do less, which made things retarded.

Still nursing something fucky in my shoulder, floor pressing is uncomfortable and occasionally painful. OHP seems fine, even though I suck at it.

I'm not going to jump the gun on it and do anything stupid, although I do want to get back to 4x a week eventually.

Really need to get my calories up, I have to be in a wedding in March that I bought a new suit for though, and I need that fucker to fit on go day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:

Should be home about the same time as me. Got a pair of 45s and a squat rack with a pullup bar. It's a start.
View Quote

Sweet!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
Well, Greyskull is working. Just ramping up to the working weight from an empty bar with 45%, 65%, 85% with 5 reps. 2x5 and 1xAMRAP. Then a backoff AMRAP at 85%.

Knees feel great compared to the whole of last year.

Squat is almost back to 2 plates, which sucks considering I was closing in on 3 at one point, but I'll take what I can get. I think not doing shit because my knees hurt just made them worse which made me do less, which made things retarded.

Still nursing something fucky in my shoulder, floor pressing is uncomfortable and occasionally painful. OHP seems fine, even though I suck at it.

I'm not going to jump the gun on it and do anything stupid, although I do want to get back to 4x a week eventually.

Really need to get my calories up, I have to be in a wedding in March that I bought a new suit for though, and I need that fucker to fit on go day.
View Quote

Thats great news, getting stronger is awesome.

I'm leery of AMRAPs though, they leave me spent, sore, and not recovering. I made my best strength gains lifting heavy but never to failure, of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:

I'm leery of AMRAPs though, they leave me spent, sore, and not recovering. I made my best strength gains lifting heavy but never to failure, of course YMMV.
View Quote

I feel like they've revolutionized my training (seriously)

They wear my ass out but I'll take a 5-10 minute break and get back to it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I make sure to leave at least one in the tank. If I know I won't complete the next rep or the one after that, the set is over.

I've never had an issue with them, same as a 531 set, those never gave me much of an issue.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:19:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: camarojsmith] [#10]
What should I be getting for my 5+,3+,1+?  

I dropped my maxes down 5% just for a little break since my sleep has been shitty and I was barely hitting 5,3,1

The last 2 cycles I’m getting 10-12 reps on 5+, 8-9 reps on 3+, and 5-6 reps on 1+.

Been setting calculated 1 rep pr’s with these higher reps.

Should I bump the weight up to get closer to 5,3,1?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:
What should I be getting for my 5+,3+,1+?  

I dropped my maxes down 5% just for a little break since my sleep has been shitty and I was barely hitting 5,3,1

The last 2 cycles I’m getting 10-12 reps on 5+, 8-9 reps on 3+, and 5-6 reps on 1+.

Been setting calculated 1 rep pr’s with these higher reps.

Should I bump the weight up to get closer to 5,3,1?
View Quote

I try to keep any of the + sets at 10 or fewer reps.

So if on the 1+ week I got like 9 for example, I'll bump the base max everything is calculated off of by more than 10lbs to keep the next week's 5+ set from needing 13 reps (or whatever) to match the previous week's calculated 1RM.

My squat and deadlift have been shooting up fast enough I've had to do this a few times. Really can't even call it 5/3/1, it's been pretty linear.

For example this last cycle, my 5+ week I got 10 at 270, then on 3+ I got 10 at 285, then on 1+ I got 9 at 300. So I bumped the base 1RM 30lbs instead of 10, so the next 5+ will be at 290 instead of 275.

Bench and OHP have been 5/3/1 by the book, because I trained them a lot more in my past.

Has worked well for me, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Got the LAPG stretchy pants.

I like the fabric and the stretch, but they are super baggy in the legs. The thighs aren't so bad, but they seem like a straight cut right down below the knee.

Not sure I can handle the swishing when I walk, or the general goofy look. Reminds me of skater pants from the late 90s.
View Quote

Weird. Mine aren't like that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:

View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought an elliptical today

Scored a Precor commercial model, only privately owned, never seen the inside of a commercial gym, for $600

Thing is freakin brand new looking.

I'm gonna become a cardio bunny now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By UTex86:

Scored a Precor commercial model, only privately owned, never seen the inside of a commercial gym, for $600

View Quote

I did a set of 20 rep squats today.

That was enough cardio, I'm not sure why I thought that would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That sounds awful.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Good score.

I've spent about 30 minutes on cardio equipment, that's my lifetime total

The wife wants an elliptical so I'm sure I'll end up buying one too. The ones with the interactive tablet on them look like something that may keep my interest, money printer go brrrrrrr.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By grady:

That sounds awful.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grady:

That sounds awful.

It was only 135 lbs. Seems like it takes forever when you are doing them though, at least compared to 5's or 8's.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Good score.

The wife wants an elliptical so I'm sure I'll end up buying one too. The ones with the interactive tablet on them look like something that may keep my interest, money printer go brrrrrrr.
View All Quotes

Good score.

The one I got just has a basic LCD display, the ones with the tablet thing are a good bit more expensive.

I just plop my ipad on there, watch whatever you want on it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Squatted with my new Stoic sleeves for the first time yesterday and I gotta say, they are great. Felt more secure in the lift.

Also, maybe it's coincidence, but while my quads are sore as usual, my knees aren't sore/stiff at all.

Pretty much every time I'd squat I'd have some knee soreness for a couple days. Not a sharp pain but it just felt like my knees had been through a lot.

Knees feel 100% yesterday and today, like I could go squat again right now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Squatted with my new Stoic sleeves for the first time yesterday and I gotta say, they are great. Felt more secure in the lift.

Also, maybe it's coincidence, but while my quads are sore as usual, my knees aren't sore/stiff at all.

Pretty much every time I'd squat I'd have some knee soreness for a couple days. Not a sharp pain but it just felt like my knees had been through a lot.

View Quote

That's been my experience with them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Is that a feature or a bug?

I should probably get sleeves, but I don't want to contribute to weakening my knees if it somehow takes work away from them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:06:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#23]

I should probably get sleeves, but I don't want to contribute to weakening my knees if it somehow takes work away from them.
View All Quotes

I warmed up without them, put them on when I got over 250lb.

I don't think they'll get weak from doing the last few sets with sleeves.

When I say knee soreness I'm talking in the joint, not muscle tissue around the knee.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I need to look into some knee sleeves also. I've banged them both up real good a few times and I get occasional joint pain. I bet some heat and compression would help.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I don’t think it will weaken them any. The sleeves mostly just get them nice and sweaty hot during your workout. I’ve had a nagging patellar tendon ‘itis thing going on for probably 10 years now and the sleeves really help with that. I don’t notice much of anything if I forget to put them in until after the workout when that will flare up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I need to look into some knee sleeves also. I've banged them both up real good a few times and I get occasional joint pain. I bet some heat and compression would help.
View Quote

When I started 5/3/1 my attitude was "I'm gonna be 100% raw, I don't need any of that pussy stuff" and pretty much once I got semi-strong and some things started aching after a hard workout, I decided I'm not 20 years old anymore and I shouldn't be an idiot

Not that not using sleeves is being an idiot, but if I can implement some easy mitigating stuff to protect myself, why not?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#27]

I don’t think it will weaken them any. The sleeves mostly just get them nice and sweaty hot during your workout. I’ve had a nagging patellar tendon ‘itis thing going on for probably 10 years now and the sleeves really help with that. I don’t notice much of anything if I forget to put them in until after the workout when that will flare up.
View All Quotes

I've been fighting something in both patella tendons since last spring. Ironically, they always feel way better after my first few warm up sets, and remain feeling good for a day or two. It's the days leading up to working out that they get sore again.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]

I've been fighting something in both patella tendons since last spring. Ironically, they always feel way better after my first few warm up sets, and remain feeling good for a day or two. It's the days leading up to working out that they get sore again.
View Quote

Yeah that's exactly what mine will do. Once warmed up they seem to be happy. Not lifting doesn't seem to help at all. I forgot my sleeves about 2 months back and it flared up really bad. I think a lot of people wear them just because everyone else wears them, you sound like a guy who might really find some relief with the sleeves.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Lower body dynamic effort day today.

1000m row
9x3 squat with chains at about 60% 1RM
9x3 deadlift with chains at about 55% 1RM
4x6 power clean
4x6 row
3x 50m farmer carry with hex bar
5 mile ruck

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#30]
Does anyone use pads to help muffle the noise when deadlifting? (I have rubber mats on the floor now)

My "gym" is in my "dining room" (#bachelorlife) and my apartment neighbors are on the other side of the sheet rock.  I think I'm expending more effort than I should trying to quietly lower the bar back to the ground.  Quiet is the wrong word, "less loud" is probably more accurate.  

I'm curious if any of the pads I see out there are really effective.  I imagine the fact that I'm using iron instead of bumper plates isn't helping my cause, but I'm not ready to drop the coin on rogue bumpers just yet.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Caboose314:
Does anyone use pads to help muffle the noise when deadlifting? (I have rubber mats on the floor now)

My "gym" is in my "dining room" (#bachelorlife) and my apartment neighbors are on the other side of the sheet rock.  I think I'm expending more effort than I should trying to quietly lower the bar back to the ground.  Quiet is the wrong word, "less loud" is probably more accurate.  

I'm curious if any of the pads I see out there are really effective.  I imagine the fact that I'm using iron instead of bumper plates isn't helping my cause, but I'm not ready to drop the coin on rogue bumpers just yet.
View Quote

I bought bumpers just for that reason.

It's still loud, but more of a loud thud than a clang. If you have change plates on though there is still a nice ring that goes with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#32]

When I started 5/3/1 my attitude was "I'm gonna be 100% raw, I don't need any of that pussy stuff" and pretty much once I got semi-strong and some things started aching after a hard workout, I decided I'm not 20 years old anymore and I shouldn't be an idiot

Not that not using sleeves is being an idiot, but if I can implement some easy mitigating stuff to protect myself, why not?
View All Quotes

My thoughts exactly.

So question for the knee sleeve wearers; do they do anything funky when squatting at full depth? In my mind it seems that they would bunch up on the back side of the knee but I'm probably wrong.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Caboose314:

View Quote

I use bumper plates, and have 1/3 inch jigsaw pads under 1 inch crumb rubber.  It’s still fairly loud. A friend has the rogue crash pads and it really helps.

I really recommend you talk to your neighbors. I essentially live in a rowhouse and basically everyone lifts. We have some agreements in terms of when we will lift to avoid pissing each other off.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#34]

My thoughts exactly.

So question for the knee sleeve wearers; do they do anything funky when squatting at full depth? In my mind it seems that they would bunch up on the back side of the knee but I'm probably wrong.
View All Quotes

My thoughts exactly.

If they do bunch up I didn't notice it. Too focused on the squat probably.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BASE] [#35]

View All Quotes

My thoughts exactly.

I can't say I've ever noticed that either. It might be more of an issue for an oly lifter, or front squats or something. I just low bar squat and DL in them.

My stoics came in yesterday and I tried them out last night. Night and day difference between them and the old Rehbands. Not knocking the Rehbands, but they put in their time and needed to be retired.

Unlike you I was kind right between sizes, so went with the smaller, medium. I don't think I could get them on if they were even a tiny bit tighter. They worked great and no pain at all from the knee that's been bothering me but I couldn't wait to get them off after the workout.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Which sleeves are best for a guy with literally no calves?

I want to try them out too and join the old guy crew.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Sweet, I'll try the Stoics out.

I also have a calf issue, just one lol. The left is about half the size of the right. I fucked it up a couple years ago and lost a lot of muscle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BASE] [#38]

View Quote

The stoics work fine for me and I don't have any calves. They are of the longer variety, similar to the SBDs. They didn't seem to move at all. The Rehbands would wander down a little but it's not a big deal to give them a tug between sets.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

20 rep squats are never a good idea. But always a good idea. It’s weird.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#40]

My thoughts exactly.

View All Quotes

My thoughts exactly.

No. Sleeves are fine.

If you use wraps you have to be careful how much you put behind the knee as they can bunch up and stop your descent and/or cause pain or injury.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

The Stoic.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:13:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#42]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

The Stoic.
View All Quotes

The Stoic.

So 7mm is the way to go?

Also, because it always works out this way, if you are in between sizes should you size down?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:30:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#43]

So 7mm is the way to go?
View Quote

I think that's what I have.   They are pretty thick.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#44]

So 7mm is the way to go?

Also, because it always works out this way, if you are in between sizes should you size down?
View All Quotes

The Stoic.

So 7mm is the way to go?

Mine are 7mm.

I was right in the middle of large and got large, and they are QUITE snug.

If I was in between sizes I'd probably go a size down and be prepared to wrestle them on lol.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#45]
My knee measured 39cm which put me right at the top of the range for medium on the stoic sizing chart. They are pretty damn tight, but manageable. I wouldn't consider sizing down if you have big calves, but for us tiny calf people it's probably fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#46]
My knee measured 39cm which put me right at the top of the range for medium on the stoic sizing chart. They are pretty damn tight, but manageable. I wouldn't consider sizing down if you have big calves, but for us tiny calf people it's probably fine.
View Quote

I'm on team no calves. Stupid things, they've never been a limiting factor is sports or hiking or anything, so I've just never bothered to do anything with them.

I took one of the kids to Dick's today. Looks like the retail fitness equipment shortage is unwinding. They had every size plate on the rack, and a few squat racks in stock. No bars that I saw, but a few benches.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, you guys were right.

I still plan on ordering the Stoic 7mm sleeves, but I grabbed some Rehband 5mm sleeves today and squatted in them a little while ago, warm up time was like half as long as usual, almost no pain (but more clicking than usual in my clicky knee)

The spring you get out of the bottom is where it's at, things just feel a lot tighter and safer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Hit a goal today. 600 lb deadlift.  Been working on it for a bit.  At 40 years old, makes me feel really good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Mal3516:
Hit a goal today. 600 lb deadlift.  Been working on it for a bit.  At 40 years old, makes me feel really good.
View Quote

Nice. Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Mal3516:
View Quote

Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top