Posted: 8/23/2022 8:59:41 PM EDT
Try and nominate a better one.

You can't.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't read sci-fi . Guess I could ask my kids
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Get them a copy of Steel World and they'll be hooked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my favorite series. I've gotten a few people hooked on the series. McGill is a great character.

I like his Rebel Fleet series as well and he started another series "Star Runner" that has a great character as well.

"Lost Starship" series by Vaughn Heppner is excellent too as well as several series by Rick Partlow (member here)
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read all those. They're pretty good but not as fun as James McGill.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What's undying mercenaries about?

I don't think I've heard of it
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've read all those. They're pretty good but not as fun as James McGill.
View Quote
Oh, I was not disagreeing with you, just pointing out others that are worthy of reading. Some one here started me on the series, might have been you?

All I know is the 3 authors I read constantly are B. V. Larson , Rick Partlow, and Vaughn Heppner. I have Kindle Unlimited because of these authors, these 3 make it worth every penny.

If you have any other authors in the same sphere let me know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Columbus Day

Craig Alanson

We were fighting on the wrong side, of a war we couldn't win. And that was the good news.
The Ruhar hit us on Columbus Day. There we were, innocently drifting along the cosmos on our little blue marble, like the native Americans in 1492. Over the horizon come ships of a technologically advanced, aggressive culture, and BAM! There go the good old days, when humans only got killed by each other. So, Columbus Day. It fits.
When the morning sky twinkled again, this time with Kristang starships jumping in to hammer the Ruhar, we thought we were saved. The UN Expeditionary Force hitched a ride on Kristang ships to fight the Ruhar, wherever our new allies thought we could be useful. So, I went from fighting with the US Army in Nigeria, to fighting in space. It was lies, all of it. We shouldn't even be fighting the Ruhar, they aren't our enemy, our allies are.
I'd better start at the beginning....

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Craig Alanson, Expeditionary Force. Also funny.

beat by Firefinder37!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Galactics arrived with their battle fleet in 2052. Rather than being exterminated under a barrage of hell-burners, Earth joined their vast Empire. Swearing allegiance to our distant alien overlords wasn't the only requirement for survival. We also had to have something of value to trade, something that neighboring planets would pay their hard-earned credits to buy. As most of the local worlds were too civilized to have a proper army, the only valuable service Earth could provide came in the form of soldiers someone had to do their dirty work for them, their fighting and dying.

I, James McGill, was born in 2099 on the fringe of the galaxy. When Hegemony Financial denied my loan applications, I was kicked out of the university and I turned to the stars. My first campaign involved the invasion of a mineral-rich planet called Cancri-9, better known as Steel World. The attack didn't go well, and now Earth has entered a grim struggle for survival.

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's about how Earth finds value in the galactic empire by hiring out legions of mercenaries. Earth cheats by having revival machines that allow a dead soldier to be regrown in about 20 min with all their memories. Hence, undying mercenaries. Makes for some fun plots. James McGill is a Georgia hillbilly that is pretty good at fighting and spinning a good yarn to cover his hijinx.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I did forget to mention John Ringo even though he has not written in a while and David Weber.

March Upcountry (Empire of Man Book 1) series is also excellent
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Lerner’s InterstellarNet Complete

Niven Fleet of Worlds, and don’t forget the Ringworld books.

Mario Kloos’ Frontlines series
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
just grabbed Craig Alanson, Expeditionary Force. on Kindle unlimited, thanks for the recommend.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
just grabbed Craig Alanson, Expeditionary Force. on Kindle unlimited, thanks for the recommend.
View Quote
Trust the Awesomeness!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
There are so many series and scifi I have read over my life. Luckily "Calibre" helps me store them as well as organize them. It also lets me keep track of what I have read and where in the various series I am at.

I've read all of Hienline and Niven too and love them as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]
You are correct, Sir
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mario Kloos’ Frontlines series
View Quote

Schlock....the worst space battles ever put in a scifi book. The lankeys are tomato cans.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Also Dalzelle's Omega Force series is a fun read.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll check it out.

Need something that good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll check it out.

Need something that good.
View Quote

The audiobooks are also very well done.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#21]
John Norman's "Gor" series.  More fantasy than Sci-Fi but it has alien species and space ships in them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Always been partial to some older ones that I read numerous times.

CoDominium and War World series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoDominium

The Fleet Series
https://www.fictiondb.com/series/the-fleet-david-drake~11898.htm

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
John Norman's "Gor" series.  More fantasy than Sci-Fi but it has alien species and space ships in them.
View Quote
And sex slaves. Lots and lots of sex slaves. Sex slave rape and then more rape.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Speaking of rape, the "SpaceWays" scifi series from "Playboy Press" were full of outrageously dumb science fiction schlock mixed with various 70's type sexytime.

The Jarps, they went both ways.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Speaking of rape, the "SpaceWays" scifi series from "Playboy Press" were full of outrageously dumb science fiction schlock mixed with various 70's type sexytime.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f1/67/eb/f167eb0f86ba2cb8657775ce01132bb4.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f1/67/eb/f167eb0f86ba2cb8657775ce01132bb4.jpg
You only said rape once.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like Paladin of Shadows series? There's rape but the chicks dig it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#27]
David Weber's Governor series is pretty good. I just finished book one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia.

Fantastic Series and the author is a legit Gun guy.  Knew him on the highroad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s sort of like Scalzi’s Old Man’s War series meets up with Alanson’s Expeditionary Force.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Shouldn’t the latest book in the series be released soon?
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Columbus Day

Craig Alanson

We were fighting on the wrong side, of a war we couldn't win. And that was the good news.
The Ruhar hit us on Columbus Day. There we were, innocently drifting along the cosmos on our little blue marble, like the native Americans in 1492. Over the horizon come ships of a technologically advanced, aggressive culture, and BAM! There go the good old days, when humans only got killed by each other. So, Columbus Day. It fits.
When the morning sky twinkled again, this time with Kristang starships jumping in to hammer the Ruhar, we thought we were saved. The UN Expeditionary Force hitched a ride on Kristang ships to fight the Ruhar, wherever our new allies thought we could be useful. So, I went from fighting with the US Army in Nigeria, to fighting in space. It was lies, all of it. We shouldn't even be fighting the Ruhar, they aren't our enemy, our allies are.

View Quote

Fun series!
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can't.
View Quote

Wheel of Time series
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Unfortunately Expeditionary Force is coming to an end in December.  Skippy and Joe are going to face the Elders !!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh, I was not disagreeing with you, just pointing out others that are worthy of reading. Some one here started me on the series, might have been you?

All I know is the 3 authors I read constantly are B. V. Larson , Rick Partlow, and Vaughn Heppner. I have Kindle Unlimited because of these authors, these 3 make it worth every penny.

If you have any other authors in the same sphere let me know.
View Quote

Those are all good. I have read most of their stuff.
May I suggest Christopher Nuttal?

I find that if I read something too heavy and involved, it detracts from what I'm trying to do.
Relax and escape.

I do like ol Magill creature.
Waiting for the next one.

And the next drop ship trooper.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I read Christopher Nuttal's books as well.

BTW new Undying Mercenaries book comes out on the 4th of next month.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#36]
You must not be considering the greatest series in the history of Sci Fi,
Perhaps even one of the greatest works of literature in any genre, language, or era.  From the first pictograms painted on cave walls 40,000 years ago, the first reed stylus to touch clay tablets in Ancient Sumerian script, no greater saga has been told.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Classic Elron
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Columbus Day

Craig Alanson

View Quote

Such an awesome series. I generally don't care for audio books but started listening to this on long trips with my wife and we loved it.  RC Bray is absolutely the best narrator ever. I really don't think I would have enjoyed these as much reading them on my own.

Another awesome series is Old Mans War though from what I understand the author is a giant liberal twat waffle. Still a great (short) series.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#39]
The Helmsman series by Bill Baldwin

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I read Steel World and I'm beginning Dust World. So far I'm not really hooked.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I just started the latest book in the series. I think it just recently came out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I agree with others on Expeditionary Force, Ringo's series on the Aldenata wars, and David Weber's Safehold. I'd add Olan Thorenson's Destiny's Crucible series, BUT

The two that are head and shoulders above the rest are Richard Fox's Ember Wars series and Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen. They both have some unforgettable characters. And some things that stick with you - Gott Mit Uns ("God is with us" from the battle of Breitenfeld) and Ferrum Corde (Iron Hearts!) are terms I'll likely always remember.

I'll add Undying Mercenaries to my list though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just started the latest book in the series. I think it just recently came out.
View Quote

Yeah I blew right threw it.
What was it book 18?
I have to know what the head has to say.
Maybe the inspector will grow the head a new body they break up that dictator ring.
Turov is a real dickhead.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll second the Empire of Man series.

Been on a nostalgia kick, recently reread Frederik Pohl's The Heechee Saga. I could reread the Dragon Riders of Pern (sci-fi/fantasy hybrid) about once a decade and be just as happy as when I first read it as a teen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What was it book 18?
Maybe the inspector will grow the head a new body they break up that dictator ring.
View Quote

Yes, book 18.I just finished it.

I hope the author starts writing something different soon. I've enjoyed the stories and characters but it's getting a little repetitious. James gets killed/arrested/executed/imprisoned/tortured than gets back to his unit to go to war. Then he goes and fucks Turov.

I'd like to see the Legions team up and wipe out the Hegemony or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Dammit McGill!
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll be waiting for the audiobook for 18
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I hope the author starts writing something different soon. I've enjoyed the stories and characters but it's getting a little repetitious. James gets killed/arrested/executed/imprisoned/tortured than gets back to his unit to go to war. Then he goes and fucks Turov.

I'd like to see the Legions team up and wipe out the Hegemony or something along those lines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was it book 18?

I'd like to see humanity get beat back and almost lose it all then McGill hijinx and sexing up the enemy commander saves the day.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Read book 18. It hit the spot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You can't.
View Quote

Just started on book 1. So far I'm digging it.
Good recommendation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top