Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2023 10:53:16 AM EDT
Everyone has heard of the potato masher grenade but the egg grenade “Eihangranate” was arguably more effective.

Video
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Who hasn't heard of the egg grenade?

ETA:  Well, probably anyone who's not into military history or collecting, which is probably most folks.

For some reason, I read that as "Who's heard of...?"
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The masher was bigger, bulkier, and more labor intensive but you could do more things with them than the egg.

I saw this video of building clearing with grenades.  It showed two Americans run up to a building where one knocked out the glass with his rifle while the other one tossed in the grenade.  Then they showed one German soldier run up to a building, knock the glass out with his grenade then thrown the grenade in.

Also, I think they showed where you can throw a handled grenade a lot further than you can the smaller grenade.  In fact, I think folks here have tested that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
One of many thing's I've learned from playing too much Forgotten Hope.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA:  Well, probably anyone who's not into military history or collecting, which is probably most folks.
View Quote

That’s his point since all they show in movies is the stick grenade. You and I know as well many here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Littler known German hand grenades, last ditch concrete bodies

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The German WWII Volkshandgranate 45 Last Ditch Hand Grenade: Overview & History

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I never knew that, neat. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do they use cotter pins ?

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do they use cotter pins ?

View Quote

To keep the fuse from falling off!
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#10]

lol that would suck as a grenadier speaking from a infantry background, I was a machine gunner who was always saddled with extra weight.

Here Heinrich, here are your ten grenades.   They’re new and improved.   Yes I know they weigh a ton, that is what makes them improved.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Potato Masher what everyone gets wrong
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Hmmm. So it came in both blue-pill and red-pill version?
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#14]
My grandfather had one, I didn’t know much about it except he was in is fox hole and lost his helmet, a German soldier threw one ,it hit him in the head knocked him out and never detonated so when he got back up he emptied it out and brought it home.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#15]
If the Nazis had  1911s they would have won the war.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
They had FN Hi-Powers, it was close.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

And some had VIS35’s
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#18]

This is good information for a reenactor with little money and not very good build skills
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
The Chinese issued the type 67, which was based off of the stick grenade, and we issued an improved version as the m/43.

Everyone seems to have settled on regular egg-grenades though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#20]
This kinder egg has the worst surprise. Will not eat again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This kinder egg has the worst surprise. Will not eat again.
View Quote

Wait till you try a Tenga egg......
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Fixed-cartridge muskets and concrete grenades.

Their leadership was living in a fantasy...
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did have 1911’s. The 1914 Kongsberg colt was made for the Germans once they took over Norway. The Kongsberg 1914 is nearly identical to a pre A1 1911. It was license built from Colt. The Germans produced it for their own use in .45 acp as the pistole 657(n)

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not interested enough to watch the video, but did it say that the superior American throwing ability is a myth?
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The masher was bigger, bulkier, and more labor intensive but you could do more things with them than the egg.

I saw this video of building clearing with grenades.  It showed two Americans run up to a building where one knocked out the glass with his rifle while the other one tossed in the grenade.  Then they showed one German soldier run up to a building, knock the glass out with his grenade then thrown the grenade in.

Also, I think they showed where you can throw a handled grenade a lot further than you can the smaller grenade.  In fact, I think folks here have tested that.
View Quote

Bingo. The stick grenade was intended for trench warfare and longer throwing distances.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not interested enough to watch the video, but did it say that the superior American throwing ability is a myth?
No

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#28]
they did this as well.

think this might be the early or late war version. did not do enough reading on them just knew they had it. just upgrading a flare launcher capability.

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That’s his point since all they show in movies is the stick grenade. You and I know as well many here.
View Quote

I had never heard of them.  Always seen the sticks in the movies.  Pretty cool - thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like a few Krauts got the fuse times mixed up and pulled the zero second ones
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a little known fact.

If you were issued a 1911 in WWII, you had a minder. If you were killed or injured, he was to prevent the pistol from falling into the hands of the enemy. If you were injured, but couldn’t be evaced, he was to shoot you so you couldn’t divulge the inner workings of the 1911A1 to the enemy.

A1 Steak Sauce was named after the 1911A1. They couldn’t fit 1911A1 on the label, so they just shortened it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you were issued a 1911 in WWII, you had a minder. If you were killed or injured, he was to prevent the pistol from falling into the hands of the enemy. If you were injured, but couldn't be evaced, he was to shoot you so you couldn't divulge the inner workings of the 1911A1 to the enemy.

A1 Steak Sauce was named after the 1911A1. They couldn't fit 1911A1 on the label, so they just shortened it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were issued a 1911 in WWII, you had a minder. If you were killed or injured, he was to prevent the pistol from falling into the hands of the enemy. If you were injured, but couldn't be evaced, he was to shoot you so you couldn't divulge the inner workings of the 1911A1 to the enemy.

A1 Steak Sauce was named after the 1911A1. They couldn't fit 1911A1 on the label, so they just shortened it.
That turned out to be unnecessary in the Pacific, Japanese machine gunners were trained to concentrate fire on 1911s as they were considered too dangerous to attempt capture.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#33]
German grenades were HE opposed to US fragmentation. Frags are great for enclosed spaces, unlike tv where they blow up everything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#34]
There’s a story somewhere in one of Ambrose’s books from a German veteran talking about the American pineapple grenade. He said when the Germans threw a grenade the enemy would run and the Germans would assault.

He said when Americans threw their grenade, the Germans ran, and the Americans ran
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#35]
The German WWII "Egg" grenade was a predecessor of the USGI M-26 "Lemon" grenade that came into use in Korea 1952 and into & well Vietnam before supplanted by the "baseball" Grenade toward the end of the Vietnam war.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There’s a story somewhere in one of Ambrose’s books from a German veteran talking about the American pineapple grenade. He said when the Germans threw a grenade the enemy would run and the Germans would assault.

He said when Americans threw their grenade, the Germans ran, and the Americans ran
View Quote

The famous German Potato masher grenade was an "offensive" grenade with minimum shrapnel & instead using blast effect to kill or stun the enemy at close range.

The American "Pineapple" grenade was a "defensive" grenade with the primary effect being dangerous chunks of shrapnel blown in all directions to kill or main anyone in the zone.  (the reason for the pineapple shape)

Bigger_Hammer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top