Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After a bunch of WHEREAS statements, Park County resolved:

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of County Commissioners of the County of Park by the authority granted the Board by the laws of the State of Colorado and people of Park County, Colorado to stand and defend their rights and liberties, which are guaranteed by the United States and Colorado Constitutions, we hereby declare this Resolution to be a Second Amendment Preservation Resolution Designating Park County a Second Amendment "Sanctuary County."

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Board affirms its support for the duly elected Sheriff of Park County, Colorado in the exercise of his sound discretion and affirms its resolve to support decisions by our Sheriff to not enforce any unconstitutional firearms law against any citizen.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Board will not authorize or appropriate government funds, resources, employees, agencies, contractors, buildings, detention centers or offices for the purpose of enforcing law that unconstitutionally infringes on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
View Quote
Proud to be a Park County resident.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Proud to be a Park County resident.  
View Quote
It's my playground when I visit CO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not exactly.  It's a bit more complicated.  Though I don't exactly understand what you are asking.

They are saying that the laws passed by Colorado (red flag laws, mag ban, whatever) are unconstitutional (federally) and they (the local government) will not do the states bidding in enforcing un-Constitutional laws.  It's civil disobedience by a lower level of government.

Local governments are essentially telling the state government to fuck off, and daring them to send the states men in to enforce the laws.  It's a rebellion, otherwise known as nullification.

ETA: Yes, the local legislature (county commission or whatever it is called in CO) is taking it upon itself to determine constitutionality of the legislation.  They can do that till someone challenges them.

They have precedent that the Bill of Rights applies to the states via incorporation through the 14th Amendment.

And they can continue to tell the state to fuck off until A) The state sues them and wins or B) The federal government steps in.
View Quote
Localities do not have an obligation to enforce or assist enforcement of state or federal law. They usually do as a courtesy. In this case, they revoked the courtesy.

The state can enforce the law using their own men and resources. They will have zero assistance from resisting localities including nowhere to house those arrested.

It has a real affect. It’s hard to get things done with local cooperation.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hoping for Jeffco.
View Quote
Jeffco is too blue (or purple).

One of the City and County of Broomfield council members tried to pass a resolution in favor of the PoS. It failed, but the fact that it got 5 votes is appaling.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There should be a big pot of hot tar and bushels of feathers set up on the front steps of the state capitol building.  This place has turned into Eastern California.  We used to have some of the best gun laws in the country.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
It's great that this is happening in a lot of former and current red states that have just recently passed new gun control legislation.

The move that needs to be made now is for a solid blue state to have a few counties (even just one) go rouge like this. If for nothing else just as a show of force against the other side.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Adams County not on the list?  My shocked face
View Quote
Yeah no shit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The "dry erase board professor", AG is already threatening the sheriffs who refuse to enforce red flag before the bill has even been passed.

Colorado AG tells sheriffs they must follow law if 'red flag' gun control bill passes

These assholes have a plan and they're going to carry it out.  Start with the first sheriff who refuses a confiscation order and hold them in contempt and jail them.  Go to the next guy in line and do the same if they refuse. Keep going down the list until they get someone who will carry out the confiscation and claim victory.

I just hope our sheriffs and their subordinates are principled enough to take a stand until whatever version of recall elections are able run their course and get enough of the bastards out of the state capitol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The "dry erase board professor", AG is already threatening the sheriffs who refuse to enforce red flag before the bill has even been passed.

Colorado AG tells sheriffs they must follow law if 'red flag' gun control bill passes

These assholes have a plan and they're going to carry it out.  Start with the first sheriff who refuses a confiscation order and hold them in contempt and jail them.  Go to the next guy in line and do the same if they refuse. Keep going down the list until they get someone who will carry out the confiscation and claim victory.

I just hope our sheriffs and their subordinates are principled enough to take a stand until whatever version of recall elections are able run their course and get enough of the bastards out of the state capitol.
View Quote
By what authority would a sheriff be jailed?

Maybe it’s different in CO. In my home state, the sherriff answers only to his voters and God. And that’s about it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I wrote my county commissioner asking that he get the county on board against this unconstitutional legislation.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Again, I think the political climate is different enough right now compared to 2013 that there is little hope of recall elections working, especially for something with broader support (ERPO) than the mag bans and UBCs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Love it.

I wish they would do the same with the mag ban.
View Quote
They pretty much already ignore the mag ban.  I think it has been prosecuted only once and it was an add-on charge.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah no shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Adams County not on the list?  My shocked face
Yeah no shit.
Adams passed a O&G moratorium today much like they did for 112.  Short notice for the meeting, pro O&G residents ignored, passed quietly.  I somehow doubt they'll sign onto the 2a sanctuary movement.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Again, I think the political climate is different enough right now compared to 2013 that there is little hope of recall elections working, especially for something with broader support (ERPO) than the mag bans and UBCs.
View Quote
Nuts.  I was just thinking of a recall as a defensive move to protect our sheriffs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It won't matter.  When the authorities want you, they will use the law.  It's as simple as that.
View Quote
That's a bingo!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Maybe it’s different in CO. In my home state, the sherriff answers only to his voters and God. And that’s about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they jail a Sheriff, then have the next highest deputy form a posse and go with all the uniforms and get him out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Love it.

I wish they would do the same with the mag ban.
View Quote
Someone might have covered it, but show me one county that has more than one case of using the mag ban, I believe all but 2 or 3 said they would not enforce it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nuts.  I was just thinking of a recall as a defensive move to protect our sheriffs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I do think it's definitely far riskier this go-round than last.

There are many reasons for this:
#1 - There will be way more resistance to a recall this time. Ours were widely ignored until it was too late. They thought it couldn't be done - we proved them wrong. They won't make that mistake again. Even still, we were outspent 11:1. The money that would come in from out of state to fight it this time would be huge. CO was a feather in their cap - the beginning of the taming of the west. They don't want to lose ground.
#2 - ERPO has support among some gun owners, not just leftists and their ilk. It doesn't change how bad it is, but it does change your pool of people to draw from for signatures.
#3 - The overall political makeup of Colorado has changed a fair amount since 2013.
#4 - Same risk as it was in 2013; losing a recall election over gun issues has far reaching implications. Not good ones for our side. This risk was one we faced too, but the pros outweighed the con. I'm unsure that's the case here and now. Let the Sheriffs fight and help sway opinion.

Maybe I'm overly cautious since our campaigns, and I'm open to hearing a plan that addresses my issues. I just don't think anyone has one yet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#19]
And....rumors of a recall for our new Gov...and State House members....battle ahead.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The left sure has US fighting us. Divide and conquer.
View Quote
Those that seek to disarm free men have no place in the American Us.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#21]
https://www.cpr.org/news/story/the-polis-recall-effort-starts-this-summer-theyll-need-631000-signatures
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And....rumors of a recall for our new Gov...and State House members....battle ahead.
View Quote
267,000 vote spread between Polis and Stapleton.

You need 25% of the total votes cast in the previous election as signatures to begin recall proceedings. There were 2,525,062 votes cast in the 2018 gubernatorial election statewide. The barest number of signatures needed would be 631,265. To be safe, you would need to add 20-30% on top of that to account for errors, signatures getting thrown out, etc. That brings the total number of signatures to 789,081 at 25% over.

Now it'd be almost impossible to collect that many signatures organically. You'd certainly need to fund some paid signature gatherers to help get you across that finish line. Paid signature gatherers are more than just people getting signatures - they're also verifying information is correct when the person signs, and hopefully limiting your number of signature losses when your package goes to the Secretary of State for validation. This will run, on average, $11 to $15 per signature. Let's assume a generous organic signature gathering of 50%, leaving you 394,540 signatures to pay for gatherers on. At an average of $13/signature, this is $5,129,028.93. That's a lot of money. This isn't including any other campaign money you'll need for the effort - television ads, radio ads, billboards, get out the vote campaigns, etc.

On top of this, you have a compressed timeframe. 60 days from the time the SoS greenlights your petition. That's all. That means a daily signature count of 13,151 is necessary to meet that deadline. To put that in perspective, we took the entire 60 days to get just over 16,000 signatures. Granted it was a smaller area, but we could probably extrapolate a bit of data from that and see the challenges that would be faced on a statewide recall campaign.

So to even be able to get close to being successful, the groundwork has to be laid far before your petition is submitted and approved by the SoS. You need a library system in place, your board structure decided upon, your strategy laid out, and a laser focus to get this done. There's time pressure from both ends at this point - wait too long and you miss the passion that would drive people to sign your petitions and drive them to want to recall the Governor. Go too early and you miss your groundwork phase and screw your whole campaign. It's a lot of moving pieces that need to all fall into place at once, without issue.

Then there's the Dudley factor. I won't even go too in-depth on that, but suffice to say Dudley has something like an anti-Midas-touch. Everything he touches turns to shit, and this would be no different.

So therein lies the real questions:
#1 - Is there enough anger over ERPO in Colorado to swing 267,000 votes the other way? Knowing that recalls tend to favor Republicans still doesn't make those odds very appealing.
#2 - Is there enough money to run such a campaign? I think we guesstimated that a recall election against Hick would've cost somewhere around $20,000,000. That number is probably higher given our current political climate.
#3 - Does the reward outweigh the risk? Recalling a Governor brings a lot of press. Losing this battle would empower Polis and the Colorado Dems and make them push for more gun control. Given the above variables, it seems like the most viable outcome is that he wins (swinging 267k votes is a lot) and we get more gun control for it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#23]
To anyone in La Plata county, have you heard anything?  Which way will La Plata county go on this issue?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#24]
The face of this unconstitutional legislation is probably an easier target, and deserves to be shown the door.

Recall Tony Spurlock
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then the question becomes,  will the people the Sheriff is standing up for stand up for the Sheriff?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The face of this unconstitutional legislation is probably an easier target, and deserves to be shown the door.

Recall Tony Spurlock
View Quote
This is a much more realistic goal than going for the Governor.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top