Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2019 8:32:58 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend books about WWII in China? It occurred to me today that I know very little about this theater compared to all of the other theaters of the war.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Highly recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Ally-Chinas-World-1937-1945/dp/0544334507

The shit the Japanese did in China is just beyond brutal.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. It's insane to me that not only did Japan decide to invade the country with the largest population in the world, but that they figured that wasn't enough, and attacked the country with the largest industrial capacity in the world.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Sir Hastings has your interests covered. Large volume, but he does dive into Chinese commies vs Nationalists, Chinese vs Imperial Japanese, Russian-trained Chinese vs Imp. Japanese, and lastly combined Chinese and Russian operations against Imperial Japan late 1945.

https://www.amazon.com/Retribution-Battle-Japan-1944-45/dp/B015HLGBEK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=max+hastings&qid=1572655844&sr=8-3
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
"Into The Teeth of The Tiger" by Donald Lopez is about the 23rd Fighter Group in China, they were the regular Army Air Corps fighter pilots who flew the P-40s against the Japanese.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
My grandfather was in Burma. He had many stories. He had photos too. I wish my crazy aunt hadn't disposed of all his and my grandmother's things. He stated that his one main focus was that every time he pulled the trigger a Jap would fall.  One great story that he told was of an old tiger that was attacking children and the elderly in a specific village.

They set a trap one night and ambushed the animal. Their 30 cal carbines with the FMJ ammo just went through the animal I guess. They emptied their magazines and were going to go after it into the jungle. The villagers persuaded them to wait a few hours till dawn. Good thing they did, because when they found the tiger, it had not been dead long. I am sure a wounded tiger would have made some of them into shredded meat.

He had about a dozen pictures of his time there. One of them was posing with some of the locals with his buddies and the dead tiger. I am not sure I would have believed that story if it wasn't for the picture. After I did some research there were a couple rather infamous tigers that terrorized humans in Burma during the war. They theorize they got their taste for human flesh from eating corpses of soldiers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My uncle fought with Merrill’s Marauders in China and was wounded at the Battle of MYITKYINA Airfield.

Badass unit, RLTW.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a book but Hardcore History just came out, it seems centered on japan in ww2 but there is quite a bit that covers china.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I can highly recommend "STILWELL AND THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE IN CHINA: 1911-1945". ISBN 9780812986204. He was the commander of all US forces in China, Burma, SE Asia during WW2.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a book but Hardcore History just came out, it seems centered on japan in ww2 but there is quite a bit that covers china.
View Quote
lol, that was the inspiration for this thread.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I stumbled into this a couple months ago:

Japan's Largest WW2 Offensive - you never heard of...

You might also be surprised to know how much action happened in the Indian Ocean, too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My uncle fought with Merrill’s Marauders in China and was wounded at the Battle of MYITKYINA Airfield.

Badass unit, RLTW.
View Quote
@sandblaster

My uncle served with them too. My dad said he rarely talked about it and not till later in life. He was a tough old man.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
This may interest you a little.
Attachment Attached File

The Asia-Pacific War of 1937-1945 has deep roots. It also involves a Japanese society that’s been called one of the most distinctive on Earth. If there were a Japanese version of Captain America, this would be his origin story.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History 62 Supernova in the East 1
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#13]
My father was a flight armorer for P-40s flying out of India, near the Burmese border. (Chine-Burma-India Theater.)

They jury rigged bomb racks to make them more versatile.

He was there 1942-45.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I stumbled into this a couple months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-AIOTIrI1w

You might also be surprised to know how much action happened in the Indian Ocean, too.
View Quote
I saw that too... And I wonder what might have inspired some Japanese general(s) to go "Yolo" and go all out in an effort to eradicate Chinese Nationalist forces. Almost like they wanted the Communists to take over China.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I second Mitter's book and add the Rape of Nanking.

I just finished this one about about four Chinese families plight. First when the Japanese took over Shanghai. Some stayed and some ran. Then, 10 years later when Mao's forces ran the Nationalists out. Some stayed and lived some stayed and were executed and some ran away never to return home.

The Chinese are a resilient bunch.

Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Into The Teeth of The Tiger" by Donald Lopez is about the 23rd Fighter Group in China, they were the regular Army Air Corps fighter pilots who flew the P-40s against the Japanese.
View Quote
I read this book.

Very enjoyable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#17]
China was an absolute clusterfuck for Japan. Their version of Vietnam. Too heavily invested to leave, but didn't have remotely enough resources and manpower to actually "conquer" it, even if we hadn't embargoed them.

And it ate up men and supplies throughout the war, which actually helped us out quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]
My Dad flew C-47's in the China-Burma-India theater.  Hauled/dropped supplies, transported wounded, and they took some ground fire.

Don't know what all he did, but he had the distinguished flying cross and an air medal.  Been gone a few years now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My Dad flew C-47's in the China-Burma-India theater.  Hauled/dropped supplies, transported wounded, and they took some ground fire.

Don't know what all he did, but he had the distinguished flying cross and an air medal.  Been gone a few years now.
View Quote
Was he with the First Air Commandos?

My Grand Father was, there is a small paper back book that explains what they
did there. My Grand Father's name is in the book, he was a flight engineer on a
B25.

Here is a link to some info

https://www.armyaircorpsmuseum.org/1st_Air_Commando_Group.cfm
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#20]
China Marine by Eugene Sledge.  It's a good book about the immediate aftermath of WW2.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can highly recommend "STILWELL AND THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE IN CHINA: 1911-1945". ISBN 9780812986204. He was the commander of all US forces in China, Burma, SE Asia during WW2.
View Quote
Ah Stillwell.. the one who completely ignored a giant Japanese offensive (their largest of the war)
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#22]
The Chinese teach it thoroughly in public school.  I had a discussion about is with a Chinese kid going to College here.   It's not a distant memory for them like US kids.  They teach the kids to have hard feelings over it
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Chinese teach it thoroughly in public school.  I had a discussion about is with a Chinese kid going to College here.   It's not a distant memory for them like US kids.  They teach the kids to have hard feelings over it
View Quote
Yes.

The Chinese also keep it alive in films too.

There’s a decent Chinese film I saw recently on either Netflix or Prime about the Doolittle raiders. Focuses on the brutality of the Japanese.

If and when the Chinese start really expanding in Asia, things will be rough for the Japanese.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hard feelings toward US, Japan or both?
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes.

There’s a decent Chinese film I saw recently on either Netflix or Prime about the Doolittle raiders. Focuses on the brutality of the Japanese.

If and when the Chinese start really expanding in Asia, things will be rough for the Japanese.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

And they are doing the same thing that Japan did.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#26]
It wasn’t until college that I even knew China in WWII was a thing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep, China had more deaths than Germany but not much covered there

Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend books about WWII in China? It occurred to me today that I know very little about this theater compared to all of the other theaters of the war.
View Quote
The issue at hand is who do you want? Do you want the Japanese perspective? The Communist perspective? The warlord's? The kuomintang? Random peasants? Foreign attaches that were sometimes really incompetent?

This is the most muddled portion of World War II

You will not get the truth from any side

It is nothing but extreme bias and incomplete records

Don't even get me started on the logistics side

That entire period can be described with

Peasant goes to report that a man was beaten to death"

Peasant: I saw a man get beaten to death by three people!

Police: you saw him get beaten to death by 12 people

Peasant: what?!

Police: by the way your next door neighbors are going to be arrested tonight, stay out of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top