Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2022 8:14:00 PM EDT
I built this SBR about 4 years ago, I love the way it looks but I never shoot it. For whatever reason it does absolutely nothing for me other than the aforementioned aesthetics.

The fact that it has a rare, discontinued and obscenely expensive handguard doesn’t encourage use either. Obviously I’ll not be selling the lower, but I’m considering letting the upper go, or rebuilding it into something else.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Rare white box
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I would love to see it…
Unless it’s the snow camo version?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rare white box
View Quote

So rare that it’s now gone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I built this SBR about 4 years ago, I love the way it looks but I never shoot it. For whatever reason it does absolutely nothing for me other than the aforementioned aesthetics.

The fact that it has a rare, discontinued and obscenely expensive handguard doesn’t encourage use either. Obviously I’ll not be selling the lower, but I’m considering letting the upper go, or rebuilding it into something else.

Thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/lfYRI3l
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]

I have, but I don’t really enjoy it.

Truth is, I don’t really enjoy shooting modern guns anymore. I shoot my carry guns and my primary AR, but mostly just shoot milsurps now. Historical weapons are what got me into guns in the first place and I guess I’ve circled back around.

I thought about making it a mostly correct XM177, maybe that would bring some of the appeal back.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Fightlite belt fed SBR
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Hold off until the next panic.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hold off until the next panic.
View Quote

I could, but I’ll probably use the money in another gun, so it’ll be a wash.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a solid home defense or trunk gun or something. Even if you don't shoot it much, it's still handy to have. But if you don't like it, then sell it. Buy something you do like.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Sell the handguard in the EE and replace it with one you don't mind using and abusing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Truth is, I don’t really enjoy shooting modern guns anymore. I shoot my carry guns and my primary AR, but mostly just shoot milsurps now. Historical weapons are what got me into guns in the first place and I guess I’ve circled back around.

I thought about making it a mostly correct XM177, maybe that would bring some of the appeal back.
View Quote

XM177 clones are always fun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have everything I need in the parts box aside from the stock, upper receiver and moderator.

A black A1 upper isn’t an easy find though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#13]
My SBRs are what I shoot 95% of the time that I'm shooting an AR.

Maybe if you replaced that giant can with a K can, you'd like it more.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gordon build
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I actually have everything I need in the parts box aside from the stock, upper receiver and moderator.

View Quote

I actually started with that with mine; I think it was an Oly Arms upper; had the awful 90's super-long moderator and all. Found it at the LGS sitting on a S&W lower with a Magpul SLS stock. As soon as I saw it, I knew what I was doing with it.

Brownells used to do periodic runs of black A1 uppers; no idea if they still do.

ETA:
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have some guns I built mostly for the aesthetics. I rarely shoot them, but they are cool so I won't sell them. Some of my SBRs fall into this category. Your rifle looks pretty great as is. I would rather build something new and leave that one alone. Sometimes you might come back to something a few years later and it becomes your fun range gun again.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
What's the super rare rail?  Looks like a Giessele MK4 type to me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I actually started with that with mine; I think it was an Oly Arms upper; had the awful 90's super-long moderator and all. Found it at the LGS sitting on a S&W lower with a Magpul SLS stock. As soon as I saw it, I knew what I was doing with it.

Brownells used to do periodic runs of black A1 uppers; no idea if they still do.

ETA:
https://i.imgur.com/m1zeatr.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
https://i.imgur.com/m1zeatr.jpg

Black really doesn’t look bad, I’d prefer grey but I think I could live with black.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's the super rare rail?  Looks like a Giessele MK4 type to me.
View Quote

It’s a gen 1 MK4 Federal, they didn’t make them for very long and they were only available once IIRC. Last I checked the were bringing about $500 on the secondary market.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Black really doesn’t look bad, I’d prefer grey but I think I could live with black.
View Quote

Yeah, it turned out okay even with the black upper and lower. At some point I might pull it back apart and do the moly resin thing, but it's not a real priority.

That was the before, BTW, it looks like this now.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, it turned out okay even with the black upper and lower. At some point I might pull it back apart and do the moly resin thing, but it's not a real priority.

https://i.imgur.com/4WNOu53.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/4WNOu53.jpg

That looks fantastic, I think that’s the route I’m going to go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#22]
The green is actually a nice touch without goin full camo.
Refreshing change from tan-tan and desert tan and poop-tan.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/ZgfqJVI.jpg
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The green is actually a nice touch without goin full camo.
Refreshing change from tan-tan and desert tan and poop-tan.
View Quote

That’s one of the reasons I built it, I love OD.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/ZgfqJVI.jpg

I like it.

I think most people do, I’ve stumbled upon pictures of it elsewhere online and I’ve also received IMs asking for a parts list so they can build one “just like it”. It’s a great looking rifle, that’s why I’m having such a hard time letting it go.

It looked even better when I had an ACOG on it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It’s a gen 1 MK4 Federal, they didn’t make them for very long and they were only available once IIRC. Last I checked the were bringing about $500 on the secondary market.
View Quote

Sell that today
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/EgcB5I3-51.gif

Sell that today

Being used, I don’t think we would bring quite that much but I’m confident it would it would sell for at least $450.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Being used, I don’t think we would bring quite that much but I’m confident it would it would sell for at least $450.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/EgcB5I3-51.gif

Sell that today

Sell that today
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top