BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2024 8:48:35 PM EDT
Carbon steel only.  NO nonstick stuff.

Looking hard at the OxenForge woks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know too. I got one gifted to me a couple of years ago that had some kind of non-stick surface. Most of the non-stick surface is already gone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
A good saute pan works just as well.  Let it get very hot before you put food in it and let the heat recover when you dump out one ingredient and put in the next.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you said carbon steel only but we've been pretty happy with our Lodge cast iron wok.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Has served me well.

Amazon Product
  • GENUINE TASTE: Discover the rich, authentic flavors of Chinese and other Asian cuisines in your own home. The Yosukata 13,5 inch wok with flat bottom is specially designed to lock the juice and flavor inside ingredients. Our outdoor wok is conveniently designed for use as a camping wok, wok BBQ, grill wok

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MoonDancer:
I know you said carbon steel only but we've been pretty happy with our Lodge cast iron wok.
View Quote

Are you the Incredible Hulk? How do you use it? Like a wok or like a saute pan?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have an asian market nearby, go there. season it well, learn how to use it and it will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

Are you the Incredible Hulk? How do you use it? Like a wok or like a saute pan?
View Quote
No Hulk here, just an old Caucasian guy.  
We only make a couple dishes with it (Pepper Chicken Stir Fry and Fried Rice), so I don't know if we use it like a wok or a saute pan.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#8]
No Hulk here, just an old Caucasian guy.  
We only make a couple dishes with it (Pepper Chicken Stir Fry and Fried Rice), so I don't know if we use it like a wok or a saute pan.
View Quote

Do you sit it on a burner and leave it there while stirring with a utensil or do you toss it one-handed to get the Wok Hei affect?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

Do you sit it on a burner and leave it there while stirring with a utensil or do you toss it one-handed to get the Wok Hei affect?
View Quote
The former.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Brand doesn't really matter in my opinion...carbon steel is carbon steel.

Get one with the bottom you like: Rounded vs flat

and the handle you like: Wood/metal

And the size you want.

If you want to spend a fuck ton of money on a hand forged piece, go for it, but it's not going to cook any better than a cheap mass produced carbon steel wok.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I've used a 16" rolled carbon steel wok from Chinatown for years on a 500K BTU turkey fryer burner.
Works great but by a fluke I recently discovered my Lodge L12DO3 Dutch Oven may be better suited, especially when cooking a larger amount than usual. It stir fries up a storm.
Then I remembered the old school Chinese restaurant in town that opened in the '30s. My gramma worked in the kitchen for Mr. Chin then later his son. No woks at all. Stacks of cast iron skillets for all their cooking.

Pro tip. Get wok or whatever HOT. Add oil and immediately throw in food. Don't pre-heat the oil.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Hand hammered carbon steel with flat bottom for electric coils, or round bottom, with fire ring, for gas.

Chris

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife is from Taiwan and is a good cook. We have a wok, but she never uses it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:12:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#14]
Good advice on no non-stick.  My non-stick was more like extra stick.  After watching many Uncle Roger Chinese fried rice youtoobz, I busted out my wok and hit the garage.  

I took a 3M Scotchbrite bristle disk in a mini air angle grinder and removed the coating (wore PPE).  I seasoned it and I now have a working wok. I just bought the proper utensils today and the Amazon Santa should have them at my shack later today.  

I will probably make some scrambled eggs in it this weekend, along with some  pork, peas, and rice.  

My wok has sat unused for at least 10 years because of the crap coating.

More wok hei!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By packingXDs:
Has served me well.

www.amazon.com/dp/B084DQYNNM
View Quote

this is what we got.  got goodf marks by Serious Eats and America's Test Kitchen.  Overall considered a good product, ours works great.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By madwis15:
My wife is from Taiwan and is a good cook. We have a wok, but she never uses it.
View Quote

Does she make stir fried bok choy? That's the one thing I can think of that might be a pain to do in another vessel unless it's a small amount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top