Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2023 12:15:04 AM EDT
In space, noone can hear you scream.

On earth, most nukes, particularly big ones, kill you with blast and burns at ranges far beyond the range where prompt radiation has any immediate effect.  Only 5% of the yield effect is prompt ionization radiation for nukes in atmo.

The most efficient warhead we ever made, Mk41 25MT, will give you some 2nd/3rd degree burns at 25 miles, will break windows, but your radiation dose will be less than a dental x-ray.

In space, nukes primarily yield ionization radiation, perhaps 85% of the yield. There is no atmosphere for conversion to blast or thermal pulse.

In space, same warhead, same range, you (in a spacesuit) are instantly killed by radiation. In fact, it could probably instantly incapacitate astronauts inside the space station at 200 miles. (10,000+ REM). It could probably give a lethal (not instant) dose at 1000mi.

Makes you rethink all the space scifi you ever watched. Don't even have to be close to kill everyone on a ship!

This chart is for a weapon 1/1250th the yield of the Mk41 described above

Nuclear weapons are incredible devices. You can read rather remarkable things, even about regimes where most of the information is unknown, theoretical, or speculation because the data are classified. But it is interesting what you can find when you read and do some math.

Rainbow bombs indeed....
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
But I imagine in space all they have is radiation. There is no blast, because there is nothing to carry the blast or pressure wave?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But I imagine in space all they have is radiation. There is no blast, because there is nothing to carry the blast or pressure wave?
View Quote

I wonder how, if at all, the lack of pressure effects the physics going on after the reaction starts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
So flying the space ship to the mother ship in Independence Day was a suicide mission.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So flying the space ship to the mother ship in Independence Day was a suicide mission.
View Quote

That ship had atmosphere in it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Exactly. As the post says, 85% of the yield is prompt radiation instead of 5%. In atmo, the atmo asborbs the radiation, heating up and reradiating as a thermal pulse and overpressure wave.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Well atleast we know why spaceships get so close for movie fights (as I'm sure they understand physics). SOP simply becomes get within the range no one can use nukes without destroying themselves then fire lasers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wonder how, if at all, the lack of pressure effects the physics going on after the reaction starts.
View Quote

Almost none.

In weapons design, you can use a tamper like lead or uranium to keep things supercritical longer by inertially dampening the speed of expansion of the pit. Bonus yield from neutron reflection and fissioning the tamper if it is uranium.

Uranium is almost 15,000 times denser than air. Going from air to vacuum makes little difference in sustaining a supercritical state.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well atleast we know why spaceships get so close for movie fights (as I'm sure they understand physics). SOP simply becomes get within the range no one can use nukes without destroying themselves then fire lasers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The more you know the more you wish you knew less.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In space, same warhead, same range, you (in a spacesuit) are instantly killed by radiation. In fact, it could probably instantly incapacitate astronauts inside the space station at 200 miles. (10,000+ REM). It could probably give a lethal (not instant) dose at 1000mi.
View Quote

So you're saying that it would still be at LD levels after radiating outwards in a spherical pattern for 1000mi???

The maths don't sound right.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So you're saying that it would still be at LD levels after radiating outwards in a spherical pattern for 1000mi???

The maths don't sound right.
View Quote

I was mentally guestimating... but at 200mi it would probably be instant death or at least incapacitation by which I actually mean >>10,000REM (100Gy). I was saying it is still lethal (but not instant) at 1000mi, so in my head I meant LD50-30 which is ~5Gy, so less than 1/20th the dose at 5x the distance, so that tracks on the maths.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Inverse square law laughs in your general direction.
View Quote

He showed the curves for a ~20kt device.  Then began discussing a device 1000-ish times greater.  Even with the square root as a multiplier, that's a big hot zone.

Now, how shielding affects those kind of prompt radiation flux numbers, is another question.

"I have looked upon the cockatrice, and survived."
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#15]
So, nukes ARE effective against super advanced aliens.

No wonder they have infiltrated us via the Democratic party and are taking over politically instead of just trying to duke it out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He showed the curves for a ~20kt device.  Then began discussing a device 1000-ish times greater.  Even with the square root as a multiplier, that's a big hot zone.

Now, how shielding affects those kind of prompt radiation flux numbers, is another question.
View Quote

Scaled appropriately. I'm not L-X but I have spent 35 years studying and considering the effects of nuclear weapons. I am not a SME, but I know a lot for someone who never worked with weapons/clearance.

The shielding on the ISS (in my example) is really minimal. Maybe very generously PF 1.4 (blocking less than 30% of radiation). We keep our astronauts safe from solar radiation by using an orbit relatively well protected by the Earth's magnetic field.

If you look at something like battleship armor, you have a PF of probably around 10. That is heavy. There is a reason we were going to kill Soviet tank formations with neutrons from nukes (ERWs).

If you have an interstellar capable spaceship, though, you probably have pretty solid shielding, at least on one end of the ship.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's an interesting balance of what happens. Nothing is there to carry the pressure wave, but there is also nothing pushing back from the explosion going outward.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Khan had it figured out.

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#19]
So with it being all radiation, e person could focus/direct the radiation in one direction vs 360 degreee spherical spread, a person could really increase the range and lethality.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#20]
It's wild seeing how fast explosions propagate in that environment.
just watch the last starship launch and the subsequent booster explosion for example.

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#21]
If the nuke detonates in space, wouldn't the result be a spherical release?

As such, wouldn't distance be the dilution?

It sounds like there is an assumption that all the radiation released is travelling at the target in a focus manner.

I don't feel like doing the math, but what is the radiation output of the Sun, as calculated in bomb terms for ionizing radiation and the distance to Earth?. How does this compare to the statements in the article?
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This…
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#24]
One solar flare will produce a billion times more radiation than a nuclear blast in space. Yet we are still here and not a pile of ash. What a wonderful planet we have.

https://new.nsf.gov/news/laboratory-solar-flares-reveal-clues-bursts-high#:~:text=The%20loops%20usually%20grow%20and,is%20called%20a%20solar%20flare
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Nuclear is the way of the future. Keep digging OP
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nuclear is the way of the future. Keep digging OP
View Quote

If we could ever figure out a cheap way to intercept radiation from the sun in space and convert it to electricity the whole planet would be energy-free. Once it enters our atmosphere it is greatly weakened.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was mentally guestimating... but at 200mi it would probably be instant death or at least incapacitation by which I actually mean >>10,000REM (100Gy). I was saying it is still lethal (but not instant) at 1000mi, so in my head I meant LD50-30 which is ~5Gy, so less than 1/20th the dose at 5x the distance, so that tracks on the maths.
View Quote

1.3 rem @ 1,000 miles
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If we could ever figure out a cheap way to intercept radiation from the sun in space and convert it to electricity the whole planet would be energy-free. Once it enters our atmosphere it is greatly weakened.
View Quote

Could we put solar panels in space and run an extension cord down to the ground?

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

1.3 rem @ 1,000 miles
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.3 rem @ 1,000 miles

What?

Let's pick 12MREM

Inverse Square:
200^2 / 1000^2 * 12000 = 500REM
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Yea but what you miss is that everything is really really really far a way in space. Those gps satellites are at an altitude of 26,0000 miles.

That's only 10% as far as the moon.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What?

Let's pick 12MREM

Inverse Square:
200^2 / 1000^2 * 12000 = 500REM
View Quote

It squares with each doubling of distance.

12,000rem @ 200 miles
109.5rem @ 400 miles
10.4rem @ 600 miles
3.2rem @ 800 miles
1.7rem @ 1,000 miles

ETA- I may be retarded now that there has been coffee

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If the nuke detonates in space, wouldn't the result be a spherical release?

As such, wouldn't distance be the dilution?

It sounds like there is an assumption that all the radiation released is travelling at the target in a focus manner.

I don't feel like doing the math, but what is the radiation output of the Sun, as calculated in bomb terms for ionizing radiation and the distance to Earth?. How does this compare to the statements in the article?
View Quote

Yes.

Isotropic vs beaming.

One reason why GRBs are such bad news, as the generation mechanism tends to collimate them into a narrowly focused bipolar beam.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#35]
this is a neat thread.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So with it being all radiation, e person could focus/direct the radiation in one direction vs 360 degreee spherical spread, a person could really increase the range and lethality.
View Quote
SDI was developing bomb pumped x-ray lasers to intercept ballistic missiles, which were basically focused nuclear bomb radiation emitters.  The emitter would only last a tiny fraction of a second, but they'd fire a wicked x-ray beam before they vaporized.  Some sci-fi book series equip ships with missiles using bomb pumped laser warheads that detonate short of the target so they're more difficult to intercept.  You could also use nuclear warheads to remotely fire kinetic projectiles at ludicrous velocities.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plumbbob   During the Pascal-B nuclear test, of August 1957,a 900-kilogram (2,000 lb) steel plate cap (a piece of armor plate) was welded over the borehole to contain the nuclear blast even though Brownlee predicted it would not work. When Pascal-B was detonated, the blast went straight up the test shaft, launching the cap into the atmosphere at a speed of more than 66 km/s (41 mi/s; 240,000 km/h; 150,000 mph). The plate was never found. Scientists believe compression heating caused the cap to vaporize as it sped through the atmosphere [not a problem for a space-to-space weapon]. A high-speed camera, which took one frame per millisecond, was focused on the borehole because studying the velocity of the plate was deemed scientifically interesting. After the detonation, the plate appeared in only one frame, but this was enough to estimate its speed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I set out to disprove him, but it seems he's kinda right, at least according to NASA.

https://history.nasa.gov/conghand/nuclear.htm

LD50 (400 rem) range for 20kt in space is ~14 miles.  That's 50% of the exposed get sick and die 2-6 weeks later.

3000 rem (close to immediate incapacitation) range for 20kt in space is ~4 miles. 700 mile radius for LD50 dose.

1 megaton = 50x that, so 50x4 = 200 miles.

Edited to add - it's pretty clear that the curve is not following the inverse square law.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I never gave it a lot of thought, but it sounds reasonable.
Top Top