Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2018 10:19:30 PM EDT
6 1/2 years of bouncing, I've had 2 flashlights. One that crapped out after about 6 months, and the one I still have that I bought to replace the first one. The Maglite XL50 very may well be the best light I own. 6 plus years of checking ID's, looking for broken glass, being dropped, being used as a fist pack, and whatever else you could use a flashlight for, this light still works! I've had to clean the battery terminals a couple times and oil the o-ring on the tail cap, but this light still works as good as it did on day one. I maybe, maybe have to change the batteries a couple times a year. Not too bad for 30 bucks! I'll post a couple of pics later.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I am willing to bet my streamlight survivor could rival that. I have one of the older ones that stays clipped to the front of bunker coat. It was issued to me in used condition and still works like new. It has been through countless structure fires and MVA's. Streamlight Survivor
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it said flesh light
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had two. They are the biggest POS in a flashlight I have owned. Both have just quit working out of the blue. Send them back, then they work work again for awhile only to just stop working again. I have sent both of them off 4-5 times. I grew tired of it and threw them away. They are garbage. Glad you have had better luck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had two. They are the biggest POS in a flashlight I have owned. Both have just quit working out of the blue. Send them back, then they work work again for awhile only to just stop working again. I have sent both of them off 4-5 times. I grew tired of it and threw them away. They are garbage. I honestly have had cheap $7 Amazon chinese lights that are more dependable. Glad you have had better luck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am willing to bet my streamlight survivor could rival that. I have one of the older ones that stays clipped to the front of bunker coat. It was issued to me in used condition and still works like new. It has been through countless structure fires and MVA's. Streamlight Survivor
View Quote
Damn good light
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Maglite?  It's 2018, we can do better.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
too dim
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
FENIX
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
. The Maglite XL50 very may well be the best light I own. .
View Quote
you serious clark?

i feel sorry for you
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've never had any luck with Streamlights. When I was a mechanic I bought a Stinger off the tool truck. That thing went through battery packs and bulbs like crazy. Streamlight quit warrantying them for me. I had issues with a couple of their other lights as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
too dim
View Quote
For checking ID's, it's perfect. Anything else is too much and hurts my eyes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
6 1/2 years of bouncing, I've had 2 flashlights. One that crapped out after about 6 months, and the one I still have that I bought to replace the first one. The Maglite XL50 very may well be the best light I own. 6 plus years of checking ID's, looking for broken glass, being dropped, being used as a fist pack, and whatever else you could use a flashlight for, this light still works! I've had to clean the battery terminals a couple times and oil the o-ring on the tail cap, but this light still works as good as it did on day one. I maybe, maybe have to change the batteries a couple times a year. Not too bad for 30 bucks! I'll post a couple of pics later.
View Quote
I have 2. They are great, have been in operation for at least 5 years I think.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Surefire, Steamlight, Fenix, FourSevens, Olight.  All better than Maglite.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Last night about 8 PM I was charging battery in my truck.  Left my tiny Olight with magnet on tail cap attached to inside of hood.  It got down to right around -40 with wind chill last night.  This morning about 11 AM it was still -20 wind chill.  Opened up the hood and there it was....still on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought both versions a few years back.  I gave one to a buddy of mine that wanted a small light, and I keep the other in the ATV.  What I don't like about them is they have a small draw even when they are off and run the batteries down just sitting... Which the one in my ATV does, a lot.  But you can flip the battery holder around to prevent that, and just flip it the right way when/if I need it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FENIX
View Quote
Or nitecore. Have both. Love both.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Streamlight PT 1L-1AA

Amazon Product
  • 350 Lumens On High with 1.5 Hours Run Time with CR123A Lithium Battery
  • Uses One CR123A Lithium Battery, One AA Alkaline OR AA Lithium Batteries
  • 3 Watt super high flux LED, impervious to shock with a 20,000 hour lifetime

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Every time I look at mine the batteries are dead.

Not a fan of 3 AAA lights.

I gave it to my kid.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought an XL200 (older version of the XL50) a long time ago and it is seriously the biggest piece of shit flashlight I've ever bought.

It's such a piece of shit that I actively avoid Maglight products now.

I'd mail the damn thing back to them but a year or so ago one of the batteries slightly leaked and they'd never accept it as a warranty claim even thought the battery leakage had nothing to do with the crappy product they produced.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
There’s a 23 yr old Maglite sitting on the charger in my Tahoe right now that works just as good as the day it was issued. It’s on back up duty now because led technology but it has been a trusted friend.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
you serious clark?

i feel sorry for you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. The Maglite XL50 very may well be the best light I own. .
you serious clark?

i feel sorry for you
Why is that?  I've carried that same flashlight as the OP off and on for three years.  That and a Thrunite Archer (AA bat model).  The Archer eventually saw more carry, but only because it put out a little more light.  I trust the little Maglite enough that it now is mounted on my home defense 12g.  200 lumens is plenty enough light for inside a house and that is what my 12g secures.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]
$28 Surefire?!?

Lol
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
$28 Surefire?!?

Lol
View Quote
I cant say this enough...
Fuck Surefire
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
This has been my carry light for about a year. I use it almost daily. Perfect amount of light to see in a dark house and the throw is pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I had an xl50 laying around that I got as swag, so I strapped it onto my 6.8. Hey it was free and the new rifle needed a light.

I'm not sure when the light died but when I checked it after 60 rounds it wouldn't turn on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Ummm no.

I’ve tried maglights and even streamlights but the very best flashlight I own—in fact it’s in my pocket right now (was helping a neighbor look for their dog)—is a 5.11 ltac.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Anything from Convoy is the answer you seek, Kwai Chang Caine.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I prefer the streamlight protac 2aa.

I've punished that light like nothing else, and it still fires right up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$28 Surefire?!?

Lol
View Quote
Mine should be here tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Never understood the hate for Maglite.
I've got a 3 D cell with an aftermarket LED head in it.
Had it for about 15 years. It rode in my 18 wheeler for 13 of those years.

It has fallen out of the truck dozens of times. Almost all the finish is worn off.
It was always there for me. LED head was a major improvement.
She still works like a new one, blemishes and all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought a cheap (AAA) $15 Hi Lux Lux Pro...that is better than expected
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Try a Zebra light especially their headlight
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#33]
The 3rd gen 2 and 3 D cell flashlights are my go to around the house, garage and car camping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It has fallen out of the truck dozens of times. Almost all the finish is worn off.
View Quote
I was a big MagLite fan, but they stagnated on their incandescent bulb design for too long and got lazy.

The owner of MagLite is a pretty decent guy from what I understand.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Surefire, Steamlight, Fenix, FourSevens, Olight.  All better than Maglite.
View Quote
Honestly, this.  I've worked mids since 1992, and I use a flashlight for work every day.  I bought the XL50 when it came out, and while it provided good light, I found the switching system incredibly annoying.

Been using a Fenix PD35 for about five years now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anything from Convoy is the answer you seek, Kwai Chang Caine.

Chris
View Quote
I keep meaning to order a Convoy, they seem very hard to beat for the money.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
This one right here. I grew up on MagLite and really wanted to like those new tactical ones that came out. I've had two of them, both were super bright when they worked and then all of a sudden died on me. MagLite was less than helpful on the CS side also. Glad yours works though, might want to carry a backup just in case.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
It actually survived 6 years of all that? Sounds like you got a good one.

Look if you want a good Flashlight get a Streamlight. LED Of course. But 6 years and still works as good as the day it was new.

Still that's a good light.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've carried that same flashlight as the OP off and on for three years.  That and a Thrunite Archer (AA bat model).  The Archer eventually saw more carry, but only because it put out a little more light.  I trust the little Maglite enough that it now is mounted on my home defense 12g.  200 lumens is plenty enough light for inside a house and that is what my 12g secures.
View Quote
IME, the XL-series maglites do not hold up to recoil very long, especially a 12 ga.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:02:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I need a 6-cell version for the one in my truck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've never had any luck with Streamlights. When I was a mechanic I bought a Stinger off the tool truck. That thing went through battery packs and bulbs like crazy. Streamlight quit warrantying them for me. I had issues with a couple of their other lights as well.
View Quote
Same here I have a streamlight protac headlamp where the switch stopped going through the dim / medium modes. When it first started breaking, it would switch from low to high while I was wearing it randomly, now it only goes to the high mode

probably the worst weapon-mounted flashlight I have is an older Surefire 600V white/ir one, where the white is dim and looks like a really bright blue christmas light. The head also gets hot while running even though it's so dim. The new ones with the generation 2 or 3 head are good

fenix handheld lights are tough, and the strobe function can be useful on aggressive geese, to watch them swing their necks around because they can't see where my leg is to bite
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are just lighter alternatives out there now. What a maglite like that is also good for is one of the bulbs like Nite Ize that have an aimpoint-like battery life with D cell batteries. Its a good backup plan for power outages for short range task lighting.

With all the smaller, lighter, brighter flashlight options out there now, maybe Maglite bought out some congressmen to kill the HPA
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#43]
my at home light is a harbor freight one that came in a drill combo.
Long life and bright as fuck for emergency kind of things.

I need a 18650 tact light for general carry thou with enough lumens to cause a brain aneurism.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It actually survived 6 years of all that? Sounds like you got a good one.

Look if you want a good Flashlight get a Streamlight. LED Of course. But 6 years and still works as good as the day it was new.

Still that's a good light.
View Quote
Somebody gets it! I won't but Streamlight again, and have several Surefire lights, but it's nice to know a $30 light can take a hell of a beating and keep going.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#45]
I have one of those and it's not a very good light compared to what it available now.

Try a Felix LD12.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#46]
6 lumen woo hoo!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
IME, the XL-series maglites do not hold up to recoil very long, especially a 12 ga.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've carried that same flashlight as the OP off and on for three years.  That and a Thrunite Archer (AA bat model).  The Archer eventually saw more carry, but only because it put out a little more light.  I trust the little Maglite enough that it now is mounted on my home defense 12g.  200 lumens is plenty enough light for inside a house and that is what my 12g secures.
I run about 10 rounds of 3" buck through my 12g about every three to four months for practice and to check function. I leave the light on and check it after. No issues so far.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:37:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Surefire is on a lot of people's shit-list right now, including mine, due to some recent shenanigans. But they do make a pretty good product. I've owned a lot of them; only ever had a problem with one. The issue was noticeable right out of the box, and Surefire sent me a new one in package, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I was raised in a maglight family. Always had one growing up and my dad was always talking about how awesome they were. Oddly, my maglight always seemed to be broken...

Anyways, then I became an adult and never spent a dime on a shity maglight product ever again. Compared to pretty much every competing product, maglights have a low value.

The only reason maglights gained popularity was that you could beat the fuck out of someone with them. Sure, the bulb would probably break and the light beam would forever more be crooked (or more likely they were already like that, so it didn't really matter), but at least you got to say you beat someone with a flashlight. Same problem here; if you need a beating stick, bring something better than a flashlight.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have 2. They are great, have been in operation for at least 5 years I think.
View Quote
I have the C cell Mag Light ML50l.  Great grip size. 611 lumens. Not a pocket light, but if you want adjustable power and beam it’s a great home or car light. I also have Streamlight.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top