Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a surplus bayonet at a gun club swap meet years ago. It didn’t fit any ARs with the standard flash hider. Years later, I figured out it was an M6 bayonet, for an M14. I have an M1A, but no bayonet mount, Cali style. I recently ordered the pliers and and a flash hider with bayonet mount from  Midway, so I could attach the bayonet. It Still doesn’t go on all the way, I may have to do some filing to make it go on all the way. I know, cool story, bra.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bayonets were rendered obsolete the day repeating rifles were invented.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

FIFY. At least in my opinion
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bayonets were rendered obsolete the day *detachable magazine-fed* repeating rifles were invented.

FIFY. At least in my opinion

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a surplus bayonet at a gun club swap meet years ago. It didn’t fit any ARs with the standard flash hider. Years later, I figured out it was an M6 bayonet, for an M14. I have an M1A, but no bayonet mount, Cali style. I recently ordered the pliers and and a flash hider with bayonet mount from  Midway, so I could attach the bayonet. It Still doesn’t go on all the way, I may have to do some filing to make it go on all the way. I know, cool story, bra.
View Quote

The lack of a bayonet lug on the M1A with that device has nothing to do with Cali.  Bayonet lugs are not a feature here with respect to our AWB.  That's for other States with AWBs.  It'd be nice if they made a version that had the bayonet lug for CA.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Oooooooh, come to daddyyyyyyyy!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I may have read a post more ignorant in my life, but it’s not coming to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have read a post more ignorant in my life, but it’s not coming to me.

At least we can tell who's never served in an INFANTRY unit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72384/20200228_140234-1297213.jpg

You called?

Forward Control Designs RHF4 rails, midlength upper with front sight base shaved down and reparked.
View Quote

But replace "sort of" with "oooooooh, come to daddyyyyyyy" .
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
When you pokey pokey with a bayonet it is offensive to the pokee.

Yes, that is correct.

I especially like when the pokee is a communist.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wrong

Obsolescent maybe, obsolete?  never.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1st rule of any knife is don't get cut

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59914/m4_JPG-1449946.JPG  the 2nd rule is  go for the fore arms
View Quote
2nd rule of knife fighting.  

Everyone gets cut.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Night is still young.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have read a post more ignorant in my life, but it's not coming to me.
When was the last effective bayonet charge?

Night is still young.
I know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well, technically, it's kill, kill, kill.  But yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As posted above: what's the spirit of the bayonet?  What makes the grass grow?  What do we do?

I can't believe some haven't said yet, but it is to kill

Well, technically, it's kill, kill, kill.  But yes
Thanks, we may be barbarians but we must have standards.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know for sure at least one Hajji is enjoying his 72 virgins after an OKC3S blade was snapped off in his skull.

That’s obviously not a regular occurrence but saying they are obsolete is pretty ignorant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nukes are hard to get and our enemies would have them if they could.  On the other hand bayonets are everywhere and the only times you hear about them being used in combat after the civil war is when a commander thought it was a good idea to do a bayonet charge and got his troops killed.

I know for sure at least one Hajji is enjoying his 72 virgins after an OKC3S blade was snapped off in his skull.

That’s obviously not a regular occurrence but saying they are obsolete is pretty ignorant.

Ignorant indeed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ADCO did the work.  I'm very pleased with them.  They quoted me $75 for the service.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49763360632_524cba1cbc_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49786484421_0932f0daf2_c.jpg
View Quote

DAMN! That looks kick-ass!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
What makes the grass grow?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/5205/28B777F7-D4A0-45A7-9673-563840DBD911-1381092.jpg

I hacked a FSB and drilled and tapped it for set screws

View Quote

That is a great idea.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Free floated rails and suppressors are a lot more useful.

But I can see the appeal of having a spear to fall back on for close-quarters weapons that have low capacity and are slow to reload, like pump action shotguns.

I can also see the intimidation value for crowd control and people standing guard duty in Iraq or something. Not especially practical once real fighting actually starts, but I guess that isn't necessarily the point.

I remember asking about this during boot camp (or might have been MCT, not sure). About what the practical purpose is of a bayonet when in the time it takes you to charge at someone and stab them, you could also reload a fresh magazine and put a few rounds in them faster and without having to leave cover. They basically told me that bayonets are still a habit we have left over from WW1/WW2-era tactics when infantry had bolt action rifles fed with 5-10 round clips, and we still teach it to teach violence of action and a spirit of aggression, but that they're only practical real-world value on a rifle anymore is as a quick backup weapon for when the bad guy is still right there in the room with you and your rifle just ran dry.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why that would be blood, blood, blood
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But I can see the appeal of having a spear to fall back on for close-quarters weapons that have low capacity and are slow to reload, like pump action shotguns.

I can also see the intimidation value for crowd control and people standing guard duty in Iraq or something. Not especially practical once real fighting actually starts, but I guess that isn't necessarily the point.

I remember asking about this during boot camp (or might have been MCT, not sure). About what the practical purpose is of a bayonet when in the time it takes you to charge at someone and stab them, you could also reload a fresh magazine and put a few rounds in them faster and without having to leave cover. They basically told me that bayonets are still a habit we have left over from WW1/WW2-era tactics when infantry had bolt action rifles fed with 5-10 round clips, and we still teach it to teach violence of action and a spirit of aggression, but that they're only practical real-world value on a rifle anymore is as a quick backup weapon for when the bad guy is still right there in the room with you and your rifle just ran dry.
View Quote

I think they actually have a place on a CQB weapon.

Trying to disarm a guy holding a carbine with a knife fixed to the muzzle seems like a fool’s errand...
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
In the last ten years, British troops have resorted to the bayonet to break impasses in combat both in Iraq and Afghanistan. In May, 2004, a detachment from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders surprised a force of 100 insurgents near Al Amara, Iraq with a bayonet charge. British casualties were light, but nearly 28 guerrillas were killed. And as recently as October of 2011, a British Army lance corporal named Sean Jones led a squad of soldiers from the Prince of Wales Royal Regiment in a bayonet charge against Taliban fighters in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. After being ambushed and pinned down by militants, the 25-year-old ordered his squad to advance into a hail of machine gun fire. "We had to react quickly," Jones remarked. "I shouted 'follow me' and we went for it." He was awarded the Military Cross for his actions. Even in an age of GPS-guided bombs, unmanned drones and network-centric warfare, 300-year-old technology  like the simple bayonet  can still carry the day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what do we do for a living, ladies?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My domicile is set up fine for using a bayonet on an HD rifle. Wouldn't be too long. Added intimidation factor could add to the possibility an intruder would just get scared and run off, provided they could see the blade. But then again if they aren't afraid of the gun would a blade on the gun make much difference? Maybe, idk, depends on dude. But if for whatever reason you have to pull the trigger and it goes click instead of bang, you still have a spear with a flashlight on it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Stickin’ It To ‘Em – The Last of the Great Bayonet Charges

From the end of the article:

21st Century Bayonet Charges

In the last ten years, British troops have resorted to the bayonet to break impasses in combat both in Iraq and Afghanistan. In May, 2004, a detachment from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders surprised a force of 100 insurgents near Al Amara, Iraq with a bayonet charge. British casualties were light, but nearly 28 guerrillas were killed. And as recently as October of 2011, a British Army lance corporal named Sean Jones led a squad of soldiers from the Prince of Wales Royal Regiment in a bayonet charge against Taliban fighters in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know about the last charge but there was one in the Korean war led by U.S. Army against the Chinese, I believe.  It was about some particular officer or sergeant that trained his men to use bayonets.  During the attack, his orders were something like, "Use hand grenades and cold steel".

I don't remember much of what I read, but the hand grenades and cold steel order stood out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think they actually have a place on a CQB weapon.

Trying to disarm a guy holding a carbine with a knife fixed to the muzzle seems like a fool’s errand...
View Quote

I've never needed to disarm someone with a rifle, but it seems to me like bullets coming out the muzzle at almost Mach 3 would be a bigger hindrance to grabbing it than a knife on the end. I could try to grab other surface, which they would likely respond to by shooting the gun, which would negate the value of having the knife on the end.

But like I said, I can definitely see their value as a backup CQB option when your gun runs dry and you still have an enemy right there in the room with you. But much more valuable on something with low capacity and slow reloading like a shotgun. Less so on a semiautomic carbine fed with 30rd detachable box magazines that can be reloaded in one second with practice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, technically, it’s kill, kill, kill.  But yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As posted above: what’s the spirit of the bayonet?  What makes the grass grow?  What do we do?

I can't believe some haven't said yet, but it is to kill

Well, technically, it’s kill, kill, kill.  But yes

Kill drill sergeant kill, for my BCT.  (Ft Knox)
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Amen.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nukes are hard to get and our enemies would have them if they could.  On the other hand bayonets are everywhere and the only times you hear about them being used in combat after the civil war is when a commander thought it was a good idea to do a bayonet charge and got his troops killed.

How surprised do you think he was when they were all guys?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I carried an M7 every time I went overseas. They’re excellent for a number of purposes. There’s definitely a psychological advantage to them. Most people have never been shot, but everyone has been cut some time in their life.

And then there’s all the other stupid things you end up using them for.

I won’t go to war without one and consider them an essential part for any rifle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How surprised do you think he was when they were all guys?
View Quote

I’m sure he was pleased
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:46:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Bayonets are great for making Japanese tourists keep their distance from you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Likely not possible to modify that setup for a bayonet. You'd need a different barrel, gas block, and handguard.
View Quote

Picatinny it is then...

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#38]
After the stabby stabbies, check your zero on your pencil barrel

Bayonets seem to make AP reporters nervous

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#39]
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH , KILL KILL KILL.  And back in the day, "WITH A SLASH" .  oooooh  raaaahhh.

GO to 2:20

Marine Corps Basic Training: Bayonet Assault Course

IMOP, it still has a place as it can come into use for other things, after all it is a tool.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Rifles run out of ammo and expire.

The bayonet is an immortal weapon.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What is the spirit of the bayonet?!
View Quote
TO KILL!
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Holy gerbil.  So bayonets on shotguns is a thing?!!  I learned something new.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#45]

How to KILL with a Bayonet!
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Needs more stabby stabby
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#47]
You mean like.. it has BO and farts at inappropriate times?
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Holy gerbil.  So bayonets on shotguns is a thing?!!  I learned something new.
View Quote

Been a thing since trench warfare/riot suppression...

Remington model 1910 trench gun.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top