Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/6/2020 7:28:06 PM EDT
With it, aggressiveness wins. Hesitation, preliminary maneuvering, and fencing are fatal. The delay of a fraction of a second may mean death.

The bayonet fighter attacks in a fast, relentless assault until his opponent is destroyed. He takes instant advantage of any opening; if the enemy gives no opening, the attacker makes one by parrying his opponent's weapon and driving blade or butt into him with killing force.

As the throat area is especially sensitive to attack by the bayonet, an opponent will act instinctively to protect this area from a thrust. By threatening his opponent's throat with the point of the bayonet, the attacker will frequently cause him to uncover other vulnerable parts of the body. Other sensitive parts frequently exposed to the attacker's thrust are the face, chest, abdomen, and groin.

POST YOUR STABBY THINGS
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Man does not know the pain of lead. Man knows the pain of steel. The bayonet is a weapon of fear, and fear is a powerful ally.

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Bayonets were rendered obsolete the day repeating rifles were invented.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bayonets were rendered obsolete the day *detachable magazine-fed* repeating rifles were invented.
View Quote

FIFY. At least in my opinion
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Holy shit dude, I need to up my bayo game.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I may have read a post more ignorant in my life, but it’s not coming to me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Most fights with bladed weapons are quick and violent, to hesitate is to die, a wise man taught me once
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I may have read a post more ignorant in my life, but it's not coming to me.
View Quote
When was the last effective bayonet charge?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'll go ahead and post this lol

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
What was the unit in OIF1 or 2 ... they rolled with fixed bayonets all the time?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
How many bayonet fighters are they?

Two, the quick and the dead.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Another melee thread
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
1st rule of any knife is don't get cut

Attachment Attached File
 the 2nd rule is  go for the fore arms
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't think bayonets would ever be useful again. But with large crowds of protesters I could easily see the usefulness of one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#16]
COLD STEEL DRILL SERGEANT!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#17]
A question for current military, do they still teach bayonet training?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Be aggresive, be fast
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's like saying nukes are obsolete because they haven't been used in 75 years. Like the bayonet, the nuke is a weapon of fear, used to compel action or inaction on the part of others.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we're not talking about smaller scale bayonet assaults (as recently as the GWOT and related campaigns), or ones that ended up not needing the bayonets to be used (I can think of one instance in Vietnam where that happened), then for American forces it would probably be Colonel (then-Captain) Millet's uphill bayonet charge utilizing a full company during the Korean War.  IIRC, they were pretty much out of rifle ammo and still had some hand grenades (which they also used).  They captured a hill from the enemy and routed them largely at bayonet-point.  The artwork I've seen portraying it tends to show them using unmodified M1905 bayonets, which on a Garand definitely gives some reach.

If we're talking about foreign militaries, then there have been later actions involving large-scale use of the bayonet (Dien Bien Phu saw that happen on a number of occasions; some positions were defended or taken pretty much with only bayonets or weapons used as clubs, or whatever else could be found to use as melee weapons; that battle was downright brutal).  There have been smaller-scale charges with foreign forces in Iraq, at least.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night is still young.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#23]
So if I wanted to put a bayonet lug on an AR I would need to do what exactly? Swap the gas block with an FSB that has one, or is it integral with the barrel? Never really looked into it.

ETA: Fuck it, duck tape it is.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So if I wanted to put a bayonet lug on an AR I would need to do what exactly? Swap the gas block with an FSB that has one, or is it integral with the barrel? Never really looked into it.
View Quote

What does your rifle look like now? It might be very easy to swap, or far easier to start over with a new upper receiver.

You need one of the following:

20" barrel with rifle gas
16" with midlength gas
14.5" with carbine gas
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I know one thing, the bayonet course at Ft Leonard Wood was a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes

However, you need the right barrel length and gas system combo.

They will mount properly on 20” with rifle gas, 16” with mid-length gas, and 14.5” with carbine gas.

Any other combo and the bayonet ring will not sit where it’s supposed to.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#27]
What is the spirit of the bayonet?!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A question for current military, do they still teach bayonet training?
View Quote

Marines do and Army does not, AFAIK, with respect to individual tactics.  Not sure it is taught at all in any other service (probably not anymore).  All of the services used to teach it, and more extensively than the Marines do today (Navy and probably also Coast Guard also used to teach the use of the cutlass until shortly after WWII, using single sticks; last use of a cutlass in combat by the U.S. was during the Inchon Landings during the Korean War).  I'm not sure even the Marines still teach group tactics with the bayonet, which is where it really shines.  

I've seen videos of group tactics for riot/crowd control from the 1960s, I think, which shows how it could still be a very effective tool for that sort of situation if units are trained to utilize it in concert.  But even absent that, it would seem to be a good deterrent against rioters.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#29]
About a 3rd of mine every rifle that takes a bayo gets one...
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Kitchen knife and duct tape will have to do for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's like saying nukes are obsolete because they haven't been used in 75 years. Like the bayonet, the nuke is a weapon of fear, used to compel action or inaction on the part of others.
View Quote
That's retarded.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What does your rifle look like now? It might be very easy to swap, or far easier to start over with a new upper receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

14.5 in midlength barrel w/pinned & welded dynacomp, low pro gas block under ff rail. A Spike's Crusader full rifle upper. So just like this:

So new upper it would be!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's retarded.

No, it isn't. It's history.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

14.5 in midlength barrel w/pinned & welded dynacomp, low pro gas block under ff rail. A Spike's Crusader full rifle upper. So just like this:
http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Spikes-Tactical-Crusader-Rifle-1-675x450.jpg
View Quote

It won’t work because your bayo lug will be too far forward on the barrel
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Spikes-Tactical-Crusader-Rifle-1-675x450.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likely not possible to modify that setup for a bayonet. You'd need a different barrel, gas block, and handguard.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Bayonets are far more frightening than deadly.  Sure, a bayonet to the gut will kill you, but for the most part one side or the other runs away before things get actually stabby.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think they would be awfully useful in close combat.  I recall they were used a lot in Korea, when your 8-shot Garand ran out and you were being overrun by human waves.

I recall they were also used in 2004 in Iraq, by the Brits...

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/these-british-troops-launched-a-proper-angry-bayonet-charge-during-the-iraq-war

I would think a line of millitary troops with fixed bayonets would be something that most modern day thugs/protestors would be a tad afraid of, personally.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Marines do and Army does not, AFAIK, with respect to individual tactics.  Not sure it is taught at all in any other service (probably not anymore).  All of the services used to teach it, and more extensively than the Marines do today (Navy and probably also Coast Guard also used to teach the use of the cutlass until shortly after WWII, using single sticks; last use of a cutlass in combat by the U.S. was during the Inchon Landings during the Korean War).  I'm not sure even the Marines still teach group tactics with the bayonet, which is where it really shines.  

I've seen videos of group tactics for riot/crowd control from the 1960s, I think, which shows how it could still be a very effective tool for that sort of situation if units are trained to utilize it in concert.  But even absent that, it would seem to be a good deterrent against rioters.
View Quote

The shield is a particular favorite of mine and IMO the police do not use it very well, not to put them down but they look very awkward sometimes
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bayonets are far more frightening than deadly.  Sure, a bayonet to the gut will kill you, but for the most part one side or the other runs away before things get actually stabby.
View Quote

That's a feature, not a bug.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes

They will mount properly on 20” with rifle gas, 16” with mid-length gas, and 14.5” with carbine gas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

You also need a 1.9" gas block journal, and not the 1" used on some barrels where only a low-pro gas block is meant to be used.

I had the ring and lug removed from a FSB and installed on the forward end of the journal separate from the low-pro gas block on my 16" mid-length barrel.  The 10.5" handguard gave sufficient clearance for it.

Geissele made a one-off rail-mounted device which had both the lug and a piece to support the muzzle ring (like the nosecap to a SMLE) that could attach to the bottom of the front end of a rail.  IMBEL does something similar (but integral with a Picatinny rail that is mounted through holes to the bottom of the handguard) on the shorter variants of the 5.56mm and 7.62mm IA2 rifles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The shield is a particular favorite of mine and IMO the police do not use it very well, not to put them down but they look very awkward sometimes
View Quote

The protestors and cops fighting each other in Ukraine were using them much more effectively.  Sometimes it almost looked like they were using Roman tactics.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Won’t fit under my suppressor.  On the other hand, as another member here once suggested, if you shoot it fast enough it becomes a “thermal bayonet”.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I muzzle thumped some insurgents with my SAW. Wish it had a bayonet
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

ONG 870 with M7 bayonet mounted.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It won’t work because your bayo lug will be too far forward on the barrel
View Quote

Quoted:

Likely not possible to modify that setup for a bayonet. You'd need a different barrel, gas block, and handguard.
View Quote

So constructing a new upper that will accept a bayonet I would need a gas block or FSB with a lug on it, a hand guard that wont get in the way of said block, and what else? Any special muzzle device?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had the ring and lug removed from a FSB and installed on the forward end of the journal separate from the low-pro gas block on my 16" mid-length barrel.  The 10.5" handguard gave sufficient clearance for it.
View Quote

Got any pics of that?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No, it isn't. It's history.
View Quote
Nukes are hard to get and our enemies would have them if they could.  On the other hand bayonets are everywhere and the only times you hear about them being used in combat after the civil war is when a commander thought it was a good idea to do a bayonet charge and got his troops killed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm about to embark on a narco AK build. The plan is to build up an 80% receiver and then titanium nitride it. Should I also titanium nitride a bayonet?

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

You keep believing that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top