Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/20/2020 2:09:14 PM EDT
So with school being cancelled and my senior year daughter at home I've been showing her movies that I grew up with. Today it was The Thing.

She is absolutely enthralled with the special effects. She is absolutely blown away that it was done without any CGI.

She loves the movie LOL
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Most women hate that movie and Predator.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So with school being cancelled and my senior year daughter at home I've been showing her movies that I grew up with. Today it was The Thing.

She is absolutely enthralled with the special effects. She is absolutely blown away that it was done without any CGI.

She loves the movie LOL
View Quote
Movie gives me the creeps.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s in my top 3 of all time.

Also practical effects are and always will be the best.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

She loves monster and horror movies. So I wasn't surprised that she liked it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
What's crazy is when that movie came out it was a flop. People didn't care for it because E.T. came out at the same time. Everyone wanted to see E.T. instead.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the disappointing things about the prequel was that they designed all the practical effects, filmed with them,and then the studio replaced them with CGI afterwards.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Favorite horror movie.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]
She just laughed her ass off when Garry said-

I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One of the disappointing things about the prequel was that they designed all the practical effects, filmed with them,and then the studio replaced them with CGI afterwards.
View Quote

No shit? I did not know that. What a disappointment
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's crazy is when that movie came out it was a flop. People didn't care for it because E.T. came out at the same time. Everyone wanted to see E.T. instead.
View Quote

And it was a remake. That sometimes doesn't help box office sales.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m a fan
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Favorite horror movie.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She loves the movie LOL
View Quote

It is on my Top 10 Scary Movies list, so your daughter is smart and has good taste.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing I can say that already hasn’t been said. Timeless.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I conned my mom i to taking me and all my friends to go see it for my 8th birthday. That's a helluva movie for a gang of 8 year olds to watch. Sadly, I am the last person alive who was at that movie.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie

I enjoy it every time its on but I've never been able to watch the whole thing. So, can "The Thing" infect multiple people/animals at once? When someone kills a host, does part of it break off and continue doing its thing? No pun intended.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm a fan
View Quote
How come that doesn't surprise me?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#19]
The head spider was the best thing ever!
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Movie gives me the creeps.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't know what it is about that movie, but it's weird and it pisses me off
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It’s in my top 3 of all time.

Also practical effects are and always will be the best.
View Quote

Agree on both.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#22]
"I don't know what's in there but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is."
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of my favorite lines...

"You've gotta be fucking kidding"
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I always keep a bottle of J&B handy just because of that movie.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#25]
One of my favorites. Love John Carpenter movies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#26]
THE THING - Trust in the Lord
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Great film, one of my absolute favorites.

I went and saw it at the theatre when new, the audience seemed to be a bit shell shocked after the screening, pronouncing it "too gruesome." Maybe for1982 it was a bit much, but I was a big fan. With nary a female in the cast.

My take on the ending differs from most views. I understood it to mean that Childs was infected but Macready was not, as Childs willingly drank from the bottle of scotch causing the Kurt Russell character to chuckle as he knew no one human would have risked drinking after a possible thing. I know a common consensus is that Childs drank a molotov cocktail instead of scotch, and therefore outing himself as a creature to Macready.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#28]
They mixed methods of animation for the first time, creating some terrific effects. Casting was perfect. Music was perfecter. This is the film that made me a fan of this type of movie.  Had no interest in horror flicks of any kind, previously, nor remakes of any kind.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
She just laughed her ass off when Garry said-

I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!

View Quote

Moffatt delivered that line perfectly.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife likes the Thing, but Predator is her favorite movie
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Fantastic movie
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#32]
The 1951 original with James Arness is much better.

Other good ones: "X The Unknown" (Dean Jagger), "The Man From Plannet X" , "The Blob" (Steve McQueen).
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

And star wars and star trek too, luckily I am not one of them. I think women hate 'the thing' because there are NO women in it.
I've always been a sucker for a good survival story and science fiction but I am for sure a minority.
Great movie that I have over watched.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
John carpenter is the man, and that is one of his absolute best.

That scene with the dogs in the kennel is still hard to watch to this day, poor dogs
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well we had more science fiction films that Summer than ever before or since, it was hard to keep up with, and remember that Raiders
of the lost ark was rereleased at the same time that ET came out, I chose to see Raiders for a second time that year with my Dad over ET.
Also in theaters that Summer: the road warrior, wrath of khan, mega force, Blade runner, poltergeist, creepshow, first blood,
firefox, I am forgetting a few...
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

They paid hommage to it in IT part two right down to using the exact same line used in the thing. It was great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Other good ones: "X The Unknown" (Dean Jagger), "The Man From Plannet X" , "The Blob" (Steve McQueen).
View Quote

Sorry your movie lost.

All 3 movies are based on an old John W Campbell novella called “Who Goes There?” A couple of years ago they found an expanded novel length version of it in his papers, and it sounds like a new movie version based on it is in the works.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

She loves the movie LOL
View Quote

Actually, most of the snow is CGI.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Having watched both the original Thing from another world and The Thing 1982, I have a hard time with the term "remake".  Maybe inspired, mash-up?  I do like both movies.  

The prequel that came out a few years ago was crap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Having watched both the original Thing from another world and The Thing 1982, I have a hard time with the term "remake".  Maybe inspired, mash-up?  I do like both movies.  

The prequel that came out a few years ago was crap.
View Quote

I've never seen the 1950's version, am I missing out?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#42]
That movie made me want an HK-93 and Ithaca M-37.
And Fuck E.T.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

The man from planet x was interesting, but for some reason never really did it for me. I'll have to go back and watch it again.

X the unkown is really good, another one that is interesting is fiend without a face. Though in the end, the monsters do look a little silly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#44]
R.J. MacReady - Employee of the Year
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've never seen the 1950's version, am I missing out?
View Quote

To me they are different movies sharing a similar theme.   If you can find the original, its worth a watch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie

I enjoy it every time its on but I've never been able to watch the whole thing. So, can "The Thing" infect multiple people/animals at once? When someone kills a host, does part of it break off and continue doing its thing? No pun intended.
View Quote

Yes, and it’s a major plot point too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

To me they are different movies sharing a similar theme.   If you can find the original, its worth a watch.
View Quote

I will have to look for it, with all the streaming services that I have it should be there to watch somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#48]
The Thing (1982) and Alien were two movies that completely blew me away. Alien was unlike any monster movie I've seen before, especially the chest burster. The Thing was like WTF? I'll bet it was way more difficult slapping together that Thing mess than making a rubber suit Star Wars alien.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Thing (1982) and Alien were two movies that completely blew me away. Alien was unlike any monster movie I've seen before, especially the chest burster. The Thing was like WTF? I'll bet it was way more difficult slapping together that Thing mess than making a rubber suit Star Wars alien.
View Quote

Alien (and Aliens) was an amazing film, I was not able to see it when it came out because it had an R rating but the work in it by Geiger was
brilliant, a totally original concept...groundbreaking for sure. Shame we can't be that creative anymore but have to recycle old ideas ad nauseum.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Another one with fantastic special effects in and around that time frame was American Werewolf in London.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top