Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2023 2:35:23 PM EDT
Hey y'all, the thread subject is the title of a book I am currently reading. It's only 75 pages but I am reading it very slowly to reflect on some profound (IMO) thoughts from the author.
He is Hieromonk [priest-monk] Philotheos Grigoriatis. He was (at the time anyway, 1994) abbot of Grigoriou Monastery, Mt Athos, Greece.

One very short comment caught my attention and I have read and re-read it quite a few times. The quote's directed toward monks/nuns however I think it is relevant for all who profess themselves to be Christians:

"He also suffers for the "joys" of this world. He grieves for the amusements which really confuse the human mind; for the "entertainments" that tire and destroy the soul, instead of calming and helping it go forward."

Well folks, that's it. Quite a short quote, but one that made me think. And pray.

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for sharing that.  St. Francis of Sales seemed to have a similar outlook.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
EastWest, thank you for the book recommendation.  I just purchased it and look forward to reading it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for sharing that.  St. Francis of Sales seemed to have a similar outlook.
View Quote

Yes, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. When I was 17. I bought St Francis de Sales' Introduction to The Devout Life.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
EastWest, thank you for the book recommendation.  I just purchased it and look forward to reading it.
View Quote

1982fxr, I am glad that you found it helpful.
Hopefully you found it online for a reasonable price. Unsurprisingly it's somewhat of a rare find. (My copy, the second edition, shows only 3000 units published.)
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Western civilization entertains itself to death these days.  Death of body from gluttony and neglect, death of knowledge through distraction and preoccupation.  I could go on.

If America was a fertile field for the gospel, it is today a garden of weeds smothering life.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Western civilization entertains itself to death these days.  Death of body from gluttony and neglect, death of knowledge through distraction and preoccupation.  I could go on.

If America was a fertile field for the gospel, it is today a garden of weeds smothering life.
View Quote

Can't say I disagree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top