Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2024 3:04:23 PM EDT
Scud ballistic missile being launched Assad forces Syrian army An-Nasiriya Damascus Syria

Anyone here have any stories about this thing? I noticed that there's an outfit selling a recovered Scud rocket motor for a few thousand bucks. I don't intend to buy it. I just think these rockets are interesting.

Some years ago I recall reading an article where the metaphor was used, "with all the precision and efficacy of a Scud missile."
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saint_Peter] [#1]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjn3Y0FvYlk

Anyone here have any stories about this thing? I noticed that there's an outfit selling a recovered Scud rocket motor for a few thousand bucks. I don't intend to buy it. I just think these rockets are interesting.

Some years ago I recall reading an article where the metaphor was used, "with all the precision and efficacy of a Scud missile."
View Quote

I've had a few shot at me.

They missed or were shot down.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
But we did have to face... their weapon of death. The Scud missile. If K-Mart were a weapon's dealer, they would make the Scud missile. But it's kind of like a smart bomb. You just fire it out of the trunk of your car... and then turn on CNN to see where it landed! So it's kind of like a smart bomb!

-Sam Kinison
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine , Steve Atherton, was killed during Desert Storm when a scud hit his unit's area.  He was a weekend warrior, and got deployed.  Great kid, extremely funny,loved to have fun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw plenty of them in 1990-1991. We'd have 2-3 SCUD alerts a night while in Riyadh. Even had one that was shot down by a patriot battery spew its remnants all over our motorpool.  Once we moved north, just saw them at max height passing over. Running up 4 flights of stairs while trying to don MOPP-4 was a complete bitch. Was so glad to put Khobar Towers behind me and settle in just south of the Iraqi border.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jeepdad:
A friend of mine , Steve Atherton, was killed during Desert Storm when a scud hit his unit's area.  He was a weekend warrior, and got deployed.  Great kid, extremely funny,loved to have fun.
View Quote

Sorry to hear, that was the other Tower City that the PA guard was in. I think it was close to Dhahran. We heard about that and it hastened our departure out of those cities.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harmonic_Distortion] [#6]
One of the surplus places had one for sale a few weeks ago. A fired Desert Storm example.

ETA: https://www.apexgunparts.com/scud-missile-inert-rocket-engine-and-components-recovered-in-saudi-arabia-good.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjn3Y0FvYlk

View Quote
It's not dramatically more advanced than the V2.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:02:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#8]
Originally Posted By xd341:
It's not dramatically more advanced than the V2.
View Quote

I think that's a big part of the appeal, at least as far as most customers were concerned.

Not countries that are going to spend millions on maintenance of their toys. Unless it's Dear Leader's armored Mercedes 600.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The littlefield collection had a TEL/Scud complete
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Mmmmm gigantic cloud of dinitrogen tetroxide.

Probably killed more guys that shot them than the missile ever did.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beretta_Jerry] [#11]
How many Iraqis does it take to launch one?

Three. One to load, one to launch, and one to watch CNN to see where it lands.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

Three. One to load, one to watch, and one to watch CNN to see where it lands.
View Quote
Free real time BDA!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Used to keep a Scud missile Desert Storm trading card in my school folder. On the front clear side.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
Used to keep a Scud missile Desert Storm trading card in my school folder. On the front clear side.
View Quote
that is fuckin 90s.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Three. One to load, one to watch, and one to watch CNN to see where it lands.
View Quote

Don't they have a CEP of around 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile? With a nuke that's not bad
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
They gained fame and popularity for Gen x, watching them miss and then got t wrecked for FAFO!

Watched in live in history class, i was in 7th grade.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
The littlefield collection had a TEL/Scud complete
View Quote

Two of them. One of them on a tracked TEL, the other on a typical wheeled TEL.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

Don't they have a CEP of around 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile? With a nuke that's not bad
View Quote

Yeah their CEP was generally terrible aside from like the last variant that got it to like 100m or something like that. The soviets never used that one, but did export it IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]
society conveniently forgot that sadam shot those missiles at Israel indiscriminately and there was the constant mention of gas warheads.
He terrorized them.  There were fatalities if I recall correctly.

And the US begged Israel not to retaliate.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAFFE] [#21]
I got to see more than a handful of inbound attacks on various bases in DS.  Also saw the corresponding Patriot launches.  One Patriot intercept exploded above the airfield and I got to hear metal bouncing on concrete.

Scuds were launched at Israel, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar.  Military and civilian targets.  The one that hit the barracks in Dhahran killed 27 (28?) and wounded over 100.

The Scuds launched at Israel were done to try and force an Israeli response which could have fractured the Coalition.  The US worked to keep Israel out of the conflict.  There were injuries, a few deaths, and a lot of property damage in Israel IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By networkguru:
society conveniently forgot that sadam shot those missiles at Israel indiscriminately and there was the constant mention of gas warheads.

View Quote

He also shot them indiscriminately into Saudi Arabia as well. Riyadh, Dhahran, and other places were "targeted". By targeted, I mean launched in the general direction of.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Rooster-X:

He also shot them indiscriminately into Saudi Arabia as well. Riyadh, Dhahran, and other places were "targeted". By targeted, I mean launched in the general direction of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This.

Not to mention Israel bombed Iraq in the 80s.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JAFFE:
I got to see more than a handful of inbound attacks on various bases in DS.  Also saw the corresponding Patriot launches.  One Patriot intercept exploded above the airfield and I got to hear metal bouncing on concrete.

Scuds were launched at Israel, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar.  Military and civilian targets.  The one that hit the barracks in Dhahran killed 27 (28?) and wounded over 100.

The Scuds launched at Israel were done to try and force an Israeli response which could have fractured the Coalition.  The US worked to keep Israel out of the conflict.  There were injuries, a few deaths, and a lot of property damage in Israel IIRC.
View Quote

The same airfield where Gen Schwarzkopf had his blackhawk? I used to be in that vicinity quite often. I might even have a pic of his UH-60, it was the first time I saw dual ext fuel tanks on a chopper.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#25]

This.

View Quote

I'm still hoping they do an encore visit to Iran's nuke program.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#26]

The same airfield where Gen Schwarzkopf had his blackhawk? I used to be in that vicinity quite often. I might even have a pic of his UH-60, it was the first time I saw dual ext fuel tanks on a chopper.
View Quote

Not sure?  Dhahran, Riyadh, and King Fahd.  Several times each at Dhahran and Riyadh.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Three. One to load, one to launch, and one to watch CNN to see where it lands.
View Quote
Truth. I watched a live report of a scud missile attack as the reporter said "wow, that one just landed about 1 mile due west of command HQ." Screen went blank and I never saw that reporter again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This.

I don't.

Operation Merlin, Stuxnet et al. scuttled those beardies' plans without risking all out war. Pretty sure with advances in digital technology we can do it again. Of course that requires the departure of many spineless ass-clowns from the WH first.

Work smarter, not harder.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Was so glad to put Khobar Towers behind me...
View Quote

Brennan becoming director after this happened while he was station chief almost seems like they let it happen on porpoise

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

It was a very fragile coalition. By launching, Sadam hoped to goad Israel into retaliation, which would have shattered the coalition.

No coalition, no unified response to Iraq.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Saw a bunch of them launched into the night while I was near the neutral zone on advanced party.

My unit was in Cement City during the time they were being launched frequently.

Wife unit got to see some intercepted by the patriot  batteries before the unit moved North.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jeepdad:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Enter the SAS and scud hunting.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
Mmmmm gigantic cloud of dinitrogen tetroxide.

Probably killed more guys that shot them than the missile ever did.
View Quote

Russian IRFNA is about 20% N2O4.   American IRFNA was 13%N2O4.   Just fyi
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Russians have been using the predecessor in Ukraine.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Russians have been using the predecessor in Ukraine.

View Quote

I think the conflict in Ukraine has been the most. "Hit them with everything including the kitchen sink!" War I've ever seen in my lifetime. Gulf War part 1 probably being second because it happened at an odd time in history when a lot of different weapons systems were being decommissioned while others had either just come online or were about to.

If someone starts hucking new build copies of V-1 Pulsejet Cruise Missiles at Kiev I wouldn't be too shocked.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#39]

I think the conflict in Ukraine has been the most. "Hit them with everything including the kitchen sink!" War I've ever seen in my lifetime. Gulf War part 1 probably being second because it happened at an odd time in history when a lot of different weapons systems were being decommissioned while others had either just come online or were about to.

If someone starts hucking new build copies of V-1 Pulsejet Cruise Missiles at Kiev I wouldn't be too shocked.
View Quote

As a fan of Soviet vehicles it’s been a sight to behold.
Top Top