BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The scene when Negan killed Glenn and Abraham in TWD was more graphic than TRW.
View Quote
I don't think the point of it was being graphic, but just how cruel the whole ordeal was and how it seemed to happen unexpectedly for most. Add in the fact that Rob and Catelyn Stark are main characters and many are wanting to see Rob avenge his father and you have a lot of controversy. I didn't ever really care for Rob though so no big loss for me. He was no Ned Stark.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm listening to them now. I'm nearly through Book 2. In terms of hours per purchase, you get your credit's worth with the Song of Ice and Fire books, that's for sure. Based on what others have said, I'm not sure I'll listen beyond book 3 though.
View Quote
You should do all of them.  I know some say that later books drag but I didn't notice that at all with the audio books
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
“When people ask you what happened here… tell them the North remembers. Tell them winter came for House Frey.”
View Quote
Best. Scene. Ever!
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I read the topic title as:

The Bed Wetting.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Let's be honest.  People watch because of tits.  Lots and lots of very nice tits.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because you spend a good portion of the show watching the good guys band together and start kicking ass. Finally you think, this is where they finally finish off the assholes.

Then the rug is pulled out. Multiple main characters you like are slaughtered in seconds and you're just like, "wtf m8".

I loved it
View Quote
You must be watching a different show than I am.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#9]
i stopped watching as soon as Rick was killed off
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Let's be honest.  People watch because of tits.  Lots and lots of very nice tits.
View Quote
Tyrion doesn't have tits.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I think it would make more sense to start a story at the beginning. It's not an episode of The Golden Girls were each week it's a self contained story.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not to mention that they'd put so much emphasis on Guest Right and the idea that it was sacrosanct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The scene when Negan killed Glenn and Abraham in TWD was more graphic than TRW.
I don't think the point of it was being graphic, but just how cruel the whole ordeal was and how it seemed to happen unexpectedly for most. Add in the fact that Rob and Catelyn Stark are main characters and many are wanting to see Rob avenge his father and you have a lot of controversy. I didn't ever really care for Rob though so no big loss for me. He was no Ned Stark.
Not to mention that they'd put so much emphasis on Guest Right and the idea that it was sacrosanct.
I think that was the point...it brought home the fact that Walder Frey was beholden to only himself. It also illustrated the point that, except for the remaining Starks, nobody else batted an eye.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.

Watching it on screen for me was nothing like reading it for the first time... cold.

The show is a pale imitation of the first 3 books, and the books and the show fall off a cliff after book 3 (where D&D quit using the material almost verbatim).
View Quote
I think it’s a pretty decent adaptation of the first three books.

After that, D&D had to deal with the drastic drop off in quality of the next books, and made some pretty big mistakes of their own (like the cringeworthy Dorne sequence).
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah but he is a retard now. Luckily Dragon Sue will take care of him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tyrion doesn't have tits.
Yeah but he is a retard now. Luckily Dragon Sue will take care of him.
He’s right you know...
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Best. Scene. Ever!
View Quote
It was good but I’d have to say better would be her gashing Baelish, or the Hound ordering chicken.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I am one of those unfortunate souls who guesses every plot and story line in a movie or TV show.  My wife hates it.  Shutter Island was easy, the Usual Suspects was easy, Fight Club was easy etc.  They were easy to figure out early on.

I have been absolutely floored only twice in my life.

Once was the ending of The Sixth Sense.

The other was The Red Wedding.  It has nothing to do with gore.  It has everything to do with surprise in the story line.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
"I don't watch the show and have no idea who any of the characters are, but I watched for 8 minutes and don't see what the big deal it"

lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You couldn't be more wrong

I can see tits any time I want
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
THIS.

In the book of Genesis, Lot offers a stranger a place in his home for the night. A crowd comes to his door demanding that the stranger be turned out to be molested by the mob. Lot offers his daughters instead, as the safety of guest is more important than the safety of his own family.

In the GoT world, Guest Right is a lot like that. You offer a guest bread & salt as a symbol of their welcome and safety under your roof. To allow them to be harmed after is an affront to all that is good and right in the world. It is simply not done.

The Frey's broke the kind of law you just don't break. And then they all died. Good riddance.

ETA - Lot, not Abraham.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We should all strive to be as cool as this guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it OP. Game of Thrones is an extremely overrated show.

It's a show for guys that used to play Dungeons and Dragons while whacking off into their gym sock.
We should all strive to be as cool as this guy.
Joke's on him.

I never bothered with a gym sock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am one of those unfortunate souls who guesses every plot and story line in a movie or TV show.  My wife hates it.  Shutter Island was easy, the Usual Suspects was easy, Fight Club was easy etc.  They were easy to figure out early on.

The other was The Red Wedding.  It has nothing to do with gore.  It has everything to do with surprise in the story line.
View Quote
Yeah, but how'd you do on The Book of Eli?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspected he was blind.  There were a lot of clues.  Like why run your hand over the lighter flame.  Or why keep clicking the Ipod to tell you its low on battery when it shows it on screen.  He kicked the bottom stair before walking up. He felt all the stuff on the table and shelves.  He said I didnt see the sign.  He listened to how the woman walked etc.  I also knew that in the Bible the character of Eli grew blind over time.

I didnt think about calling the bible though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The current game of thrones thread had me curious since I've never seen an episode. Also people talk about the Red Wedding as being controversial and a masterpiece at the same time. I went to YouTube and I saw an eight minute clip of the red wedding. I'm not sure why so many people are obsessed with this show. This is the same type of stuff that you would find on any pay TV channel.

I used to watch Ash versus Evil Dead.
View Quote
It's an example of a plot twist. Books, TV, and movies have been using them to make stories more interesting since forever. Other examples of them are Darth Vader being Luke's father, the Statue of Liberty scene in Planet of the Apes, and the ending of Sixth Sense.

If you're not invested in the plot you're not going to give a shit about any twist.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#26]
"Hodor" explanation moment is what hooked me.  There are many other moments like that, but that one really got me saying "woah".
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And this edgelord. So much angst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it OP. Game of Thrones is an extremely overrated show.

It's a show for guys that used to play Dungeons and Dragons while whacking off into their gym sock.
And this edgelord. So much angst.
Oh cut him some slack. I imagine it's easy to become contemptuous when one realizes high school was their peak.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
THIS.

In the book of Genesis, Lot offers a stranger a place in his home for the night. A crowd comes to his door demanding that the stranger be turned out to be molested by the mob. Lot offers his daughters instead, as the safety of guest is more important than the safety of his own family.

In the GoT world, Guest Right is a lot like that. You offer a guest bread & salt as a symbol of their welcome and safety under your roof. To allow them to be harmed after is an affront to all that is good and right in the world. It is simply not done.

The Frey's broke the kind of law you just don't break. And then they all died. Good riddance.

ETA - Lot, not Abraham.
View Quote
That was sort of the point.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had read the books before The Red Wedding was aired, so I was laughing in glee as my FaceSpace feed blew up.

I did not start reading the book until after the end of the first season. So, no shit, there I was, thinking that Ned was going to be sent to the Wall, would eventually assume command of the Nights Watch, and lead the fight against the White Walkers.

Then Jeoffery happened...

At that point, I decided to start reading the books.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Red Wedding would be like WW2 allies Patton, Ike, Montgomery, Bradley, Stalin, their staffs plus the entire allied army on the doorsteps of victory at Berlin only to have Montgomery's troops betray and kill everyone to join Hitler.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I thought that happened and was called Operation Market Garden?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Red Wedding would be like WW2 allies Patton, Ike, Montgomery, Bradley, Stalin, their staffs plus the entire allied army on the doorsteps of victory at Berlin only to have Montgomery's troops betray and kill everyone to join Hitler.
oof
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Best summary of the series:
South Park - Wiener song + Game of Thrones Theme TOGETHER

I read the first four books, didn't bother to finish the fifth and don't care about the others if he ever actually writes them.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Muh XXX Corps...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top