Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2019 1:45:36 PM EDT
I always thought gay people had some kind of chemical imbalance or mental disorder.

However, there's a good chance we would have lost the Revolutionary War without Friedrich von Steuben.

I just thought this was interesting, and I honestly was surprised to find out.

Happy Independence Day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I always thought gay people had some kind of chemical imbalance or mental disorder.

However, there's a good chance we would have lost the Revolutionary War without Friedrich von Steuben.

Happy Independence Day.
View Quote
"Historians also think he was homosexual—and served as an openly gay man in the military"
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat.

However I can’t help but think of Monty Python

Military Camp Drill - Monty Python
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Join date, post count.  Only missing the underscore.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of great warriors have been gay.
Prince Eugene of Savoy liked to "put on frocks and play the girl".  He still led the Austrian army in kicking France's (Louis 14) and the Ottoman Empire's assess from one side of Europe to the other.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Marxist revisionist history

Lying garbage
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Happy Independence Day.
View Quote
Having a mental disorder wouldn't preclude someone from training soldiers.

And...

Have you ever spent a summer doing a shitload of close order drill?

I remember being 17 at MCRD drilling for hours, thinking...  "This shit is GAY!"
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
George Washington was black, and so were Christopher Columbus and Albert Einstein.

Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Jackson were gay.

It's just been recently revealed so I know it's absolutely true and the recently  politicall motivated revised history must be the correct history.

Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep it to yourself.   Your sexual preferences should not be advertised in the military, schools, etc.

You do your thing, I’ll do mine

In before I’m an intolerant cis something or another
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Washington also had a man drummed out of the army for sodomy, so either Wilhelm von Steuben was not gay or he was one of the cool types of gay people that just live there life and don't try to force it down your throat.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Historians also think he was homosexual—and served as an openly gay man in the military"
View Quote
Generally speaking, who cares.  But the article is just SJW speculative reinvention of history.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lying garbage
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Generally speaking, who cares.  But the article is just SJW speculative reinvention of history.

Like Jefferson fathering Hemings children...
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Prince Eugene of Savoy liked to "put on frocks and play the girl".  He still led the Austrian army in kicking France's (Louis 14) and the Ottoman Empire's assess from one side of Europe to the other.
View Quote
And had warships named after him by the English, the Germans, and the Austrians
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd rather have a "Joy Division".
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#16]
More evidence he was a pedophile (or ephebophile) than gay from this article

But his application was tanked when an anonymous letter accused him of having “taken familiarities” with young boys
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome Back Kotter - Theme Song
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#18]
ZFG
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
That's juth fabulousssss.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#20]
lol
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't two shits if he was or wasn't closet or openly gay.  For all I know he road My Little Pony into battle.

I find it funny that's it's the 4th sentence into the article.

It isn't until the last few paragraphs that there is any real attempt to tie the theory into some facts.  But those facts are only base on 'norms of the day' and 'the author thinks it's true' because of events in his life.

These types of articles start with a social premise the author wants to push and then ties it in with suggestions dressed up as facts.  The whole time I was reading the article the "voice" from the Search for Oak Island was in my mind saying.  "we found a pink sash trunk once owned by him.....could this be that a gay man was a revolutionary war fighter"  If only they had found the 90 foot dildo.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Alexander the Great took it up the ass as well
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I read that he was compromised is why he decided to go to America.  He met Franklin who gave him a letter of introduction along with a promotion to general.

That said, he was just what the Continental Army needed in training for the bayonet drill.

BTW, Lincoln was not ghey.  Sleeping with other men was common and had nothing to do with sex. Rather, it was body heat to stay warm in an era of no central heating.  Remember ceiling were very tall back then and heat from the fireplace (not a stove) went up.  If you went to a roadside tavern, you paid for a spot in the room and not the room itself.  You could find yourself sharing the room with others and if you got out of bed to use the chamber pot, someone claimed dibs and you got a spot on the floor.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#24]
The SJWs, academia and the media are always floating rumors that some historical figure “might” have been a fag in the hope that it will continue to normalize that mental disorder/lifestyle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Happy Independence Day.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greek getting his freak on
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Yet the march had taken its toll on discipline and morale. By June 10, when the army was at Cole's Ferry on the Staunton River, sixty men had deserted. In addition to the obvious reasons, there was Steuben's taste for black snakes. He would order Gaskins’s men to search for the reptiles in the forest so that he could enjoy them with his dinner. (17)
View Quote
Linky

17. Palmer, General Von Steuben, 281; "List of Deserters," 6/12/81, Steuben Papers; Pension application of David Buffington, John Frederick Dorman, comp., Virginia Revolutionary Pension Applications (Washington, DQ 1958), 12:61.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I read that he was compromised is why he decided to go to America.  He met Franklin who gave him a letter of introduction along with a promotion to general.

That said, he was just what the Continental Army needed in training for the bayonet drill.

BTW, Lincoln was not ghey.  Sleeping with other men was common and had nothing to do with sex. Rather, it was body heat to stay warm in an era of no central heating.  Remember ceiling were very tall back then and heat from the fireplace (not a stove) went up.  If you went to a roadside tavern, you paid for a spot in the room and not the room itself.  You could find yourself sharing the room with others and if you got out of bed to use the chamber pot, someone claimed dibs and you got a spot on the floor.
View Quote
Hence the first chapter of Moby Dick
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like most Greek males of the day... It was a norm at the time. Most Greek and Roman males of that era would be considered bisexuals, today.

The past is another country; they do things differently, there.

And, I find the arguments for von Stueben being "gay" to be about as convincing as the ones saying that Jefferson had kids with Sally Hemings--There's no damn way to tell, at this remove.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just read the Coulter piece on Hemings, Brother Randolph who liked to fiddle and dance in the slave quarters fathered the last and only Hemings son with the Jeffersony Y chromosome.  Museums and Academia respond by saying all 6 are Thomas' children, and this is what is taught.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Robert E. Lee was born a woman. Roberta. Look it up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
My uncle served on that boat.

ETA: When I was a kid we went with him to the decommissioning ceremony.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Happy Independence Day.
View Quote
So? That matters, how, exactly?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought he was a pitcher not a catcher?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I always chuckle when some gay guy brags that someone way in the past was gay.

Why bring that up?

Can't find any currently alive worth a fuck?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#38]
BFD.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't believe it, and even if were true, who cares? He was one of the founders, if not THE founder, of the professional American military.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Keep it to yourself.   Your sexual preferences should not be advertised in the military, schools, etc.

You do your thing, I’ll do mine

In before I’m an intolerant cis something or another
View Quote
That avatar.........how long was your flag at half mast?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lying garbage
View Quote
This.  The left has pretty much declared all of our FF as gay at one point or another.  It's bullshit, as you so correctly pointed out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Washington also had a man drummed out of the army for sodomy, so either Wilhelm von Steuben was not gay or he was one of the cool types of gay people that just live there life and don't try to force it down your throat.
View Quote
"Force it down your throat"......well played
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jefferson Davis was captured in drag.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Like most Greek males of the day... It was a norm at the time. Most Greek and Roman males of that era would be considered bisexuals, today.

And, I find the arguments for von Stueben being "gay" to be about as convincing as the ones saying that Jefferson had kids with Sally Hemings--There's no damn way to tell, at this remove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, it was as common in ancient Greece as we now think it was. Spartans actually looked down on Athenians because of the Athenian acceptance of homosexuality.

And yet there was always another side to the story. We hear of laws that punished men who "mixed with" or even "chatted" with boys. Xenophon, who knew Sparta better than anyone, says that the Spartan lawgiver had laid down that it was shameful even "to be seen to reach out to touch the body of a boy". Slaves called "pedagogues" - paidagogoi - were employed by Athenians to protect their sons from unwanted attention, and by Plato's time there were some people who had "the audacity to say" that homosexual sex was shameful in any circumstances. Indeed Plato himself eventually made so bold. At one time he had written that same-sex lovers were far more blessed than ordinary mortals. He even gave them a headstart in the great race to get back to heaven, their mutual love refeathering their moulted wings. Now he seemed to contradict himself. In his ideal city, he says in his last, posthumously published work known as The Laws, homosexual sex will be treated the same way as incest. It is something contrary to nature, he insists, and although there won't be laws against it, nevertheless a propaganda programme will encourage everyone to say that it is "utterly unholy, odious-to-the-gods and ugliest of ugly things".

For these and other reasons there has long been debate about the true nature of this Greek custom - what the Greeks called eros, a "passionate life-churning love", or philia, "fond intimacy". Was it essentially sublime or sodomitical? A source of anxiety or a cause for celebration? Sometimes the Greeks seemed to approve of it wholeheartedly, even to suggest that it was the highest and noblest form of love. And other times they seemed to condemn it. Sometimes the ideal seems to be a spiritual, passionate but unconsummated "Platonic" love, like that much praised by Plato's Socrates. It was this notion that allowed Ganymede, ancient mascot for the vice unmentionable among Christians, to appear on the doors of St Peter's in Rome, where, amazingly, he remains, or as the emblem of "piety" in Christian picture-books. So popular were such prints of Ganymede in the Catholic Baroque that Rembrandt painted a harsh rejoinder. Instead of sublimely rising, his Ganymede is kicking and screaming, dragged off in incontinent terror.
   Alexander the Great is another popular example. Even though the available historical sources clearly indicate that the Greek king had different female lovers each night, he is considered the most famous gay man of antiquity, simply because a screenwriter in Hollywood imagined him as one. In reality, Alexander the Great most likely slept with more women than Hugh Hefner! But how did we end up with these false misconceptions about ancient Greek society and homosexuality?

The whole thing officially opened up by Kenneth Dover's work Greek Homosexuality in 1978. Since then, as MacDowell points out , homosexuality in ancient Greece “has been discussed a good deal, mainly from a sociological and anthropological point of view.” However, few mention Athenian laws against homosexuality . It wouldn’t be much of an exaggeration to speculate that a decorated and experienced historian such as Dover avoided this account of the official stance of Athens on homosexuality. Instead, he based his research and conclusions on certain pieces of such art as vase painting and the idealized depiction of homoerotic relationships described briefly by Plato in some of his works.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Donald trump is actually black and made all of his money thru welfare fraud.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I LOL'ed at that..
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who cares, BVS was instrumental in turning the Continental Army into a professional fighting force and we wouldn't have won the American Revolution without him.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Well duh, Prussian......named Friedrich; I heard he drilled the Continentals to German cabaret tunes. Hell, I seen digital pics he took at Valley Forge, damn straight that shit’s true.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Join date, post count.  Only missing the underscore.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Donald trump is actually black and made all of his money thru welfare fraud.
View Quote
Orange is the new black
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top