Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2021 9:01:46 PM EDT
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+6%3A1-6&version=NKJV

This and Revelations offer a view of heavenly worship.

I take from the “filled with smoke” and “took a coal from the altar” that it could be incense. Keeping in mind that Revelations describes incense.

I think it is telling  that the Prophet knew he was unworthy to look upon the face of Yahweh and figured he would die.  
I don’t think even Moses looked at the Lord’s face.

This and the book of Daniel are just Amazing !!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
And one of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God who lives forever and ever,  and the sanctuary was filled with smoke from the glory of God and from his power, and no one could enter the sanctuary until the seven plagues of the seven angels were finished.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I take from the "filled with smoke" and "took a coal from the altar" that it could be incense. Keeping in mind that Revelations describes incense.

I think it is telling  that the Prophet knew he was unworthy to look upon the face of Yahweh and figured he would die.  
I don't think even Moses looked at the Lord's face.

View Quote
Yes he did, the only one to do so without dying.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take from the "filled with smoke" and "took a coal from the altar" that it could be incense. Keeping in mind that Revelations describes incense.

Yes sir

Thank you
But
Moses’ position of favor with God is evident in the fact that “the Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend” (verse 11).
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And one of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God who lives forever and ever,  and the sanctuary was filled with smoke from the glory of God and from his power, and no one could enter the sanctuary until the seven plagues of the seven angels were finished.
View Quote

That makes sense.  If they meant incense, could have said it
As they did earlier in Revelations

“Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.”

Isaiah mentions mound noise and then the smoke.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did Elisha and Elijah also look upon GOD's face? I know they didn't die and were taken by GOD.

My childhood pastor was big into studying Revelations and thought they would be the 2 prophets to return in the tribulation.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
John the Baptist saw the Holy Spirit descend upon Christ, so there's that.

And, of course, Christ saw God all the time as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
John the Baptist saw the Holy Spirit descend upon Christ, so there's that.

And, of course, Christ saw God all the time as well.
View Quote
John the Baptist is the guy that Jesus said is the messiah right?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Who was Isiah talking about in the rest of the chapter...?

Who was Isiah living among that had unclean lips...?

Those who could hear but not understand..?

could see but never see...?

5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6 Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

9 He said, “Go and tell this people:

“‘Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
   be ever seeing, but never perceiving.’
10 Make the heart of this people calloused;
   make their ears dull
   and close their eyes.[a]
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
   hear with their ears,
   understand with their hearts,
and turn and be healed.”

11 Then I said, “For how long, Lord?”

And he answered:

“Until the cities lie ruined
   and without inhabitant,
until the houses are left deserted
   and the fields ruined and ravaged,
12 until the Lord has sent everyone far away
   and the land is utterly forsaken.
13 And though a tenth remains in the land,
   it will again be laid waste.
But as the terebinth and oak
   leave stumps when they are cut down,
   so the holy seed will be the stump in the land.”

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

Ver. 5.  Peace.  It is proper for sinners to do so.  Eccli. xv. 9.  The prophet was grieved that he was unworthy to join in the acclamation of the Seraphim, and had reason to fear death.  Gen. xvi. 13.  Ex. xxxiii. 20.  He finds himself less able to speak than before, like Moses.  Ex. iv. 10. and vi. 12.

6 Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”
Ver. 6.  Coal.  "Carbuncle," (Sept.) the word of God, (S. Basil) spirit of prophecy, (S. Jer. 142. ad Dam.) &c.

Ver. 11.  Desolate.  By means of Nabuchodonosor, (S. Chrys.) and the Romans, (Eus. &c.) or even till the end of the world, their obstinacy will continue.

And he answered:

Ver. 12.  Earth.  After the captivity, the people shall be more docile.  But this was more fully verified by the preaching of the gospel.

Ver. 13.  Tithing.  The land shall produce its fruits, and people shall bring their tithes.  Ezec. xx. 40.  There shall be some left; (c. i. 9. and iv. 3.  C.) though only a tenth part will embrace Christianity.  S. Bas. --- Made.  Sept. "ravaged."  They shall be exposed to many persecutions under Epiphanes, and few shall escape the arms of the Romans, (C.) those particularly (H.) who shall be a holy seed.  C. --- The apostles were of Jewish extraction, (H.) and spread the gospel throughout the world.  M.

View Quote

inside.

Now, it's commentary and not infallible, so there is room for disagreement if you like, but Haydock is usually in line with the Big 3.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks VG,

Who did God send Isiah to speak to..??

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

make their ears dull
   and close their eyes.[a]
   hear with their ears,
and turn and be healed.”
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks VG,

make their ears dull
   and close their eyes.[a]
   hear with their ears,
and turn and be healed.”
View Quote

This may help, but it's not as easy as Haydock...it's Aquinas:

See lecture 2 of Isaiah 6

Aquinas commentaries
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks VG,

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"

And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

9 He said, "Go and tell this people:

"'Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
   be ever seeing, but never perceiving.'
   make their ears dull
   and close their eyes.[a]
   hear with their ears,
and turn and be healed."
View Quote
Israel
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks VG,
View Quote

Again, you'll have to read through it, but the short of it is...us.

Since Isaiah is ONE of the many OT prophets to discuss Christ, he is speaking about God's people; Most importantly as to their reaction prior and during the time of the Messiah, who is Christ.

Now, this is open to interpretation among some Jewish scholars, since some Jews only believe the first 5 books, of which Isaiah isn't one of them, are the only infallible ones written by God. So any opinion from them is on equal footing, according to that logic, with any other Jew or Christian who doesn't see it the same.

Therefore, some say one thing and some say another. In the end, it is only an opinion among anyone who does not see the entire OT as the Word of God. Since Christians do, the answer provided is correct.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Since Isaiah is ONE of the many OT prophets to discuss Christ, he is speaking about God's people; Most importantly as to their reaction prior and during the time of the Messiah, who is Christ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks VG,

NONE of the OT Prophets discussed Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
@SmilinEd

I think one of the best things about the Aquinas Commentary link I provided, is how he does an excellent job of demonstrating the correlations between Isaiah's verses and the events in the New Testament.

He shows how the Jews and Gentiles reacted to hearing the message, etc. It's excellent work, and I hope you find it helpful.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Israel
View Quote

Exactly this...
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

make their ears dull
   and close their eyes.[a]
   hear with their ears,
and turn and be healed.”

And he answered:

“Until the cities lie ruined
   and without inhabitant,
until the houses are left deserted
   and the fields ruined and ravaged,

View Quote

This is how I understand Isaiah 6, @SmilinEd

Isaiah is having his first vision of G-d and is startled by it b/c he feels he himself is unclean and not worthy of being visited by G-d. He is talking about his own unclean lips and saying he has been around unclean people.

Then a seraphim flew to him and touched his lips with coal as a purification ritual to clean him and Isaiah calmed down and listened to G-d.

G-d asked him who he should send to be a messenger and Isaiah volunteered himself.

Then G-d told him he was to go and callous the hearts of the people of Israel so that they would not know how to be healed from their wicked ways. G-d wanted Isaiah to keep them from understanding what they had done wrong and how to make it right.

Isaiah did not argue with G-d, he just simply asked, for how long?

And G-d told him until their cities were destroyed and they had been forced to desert their homes and their land.

G-d was angry with them and said he would destroy almost all of them leaving only 1/10 of them as holy seeds to regenerate Israel.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@SmilinEd

I think one of the best things about the Aquinas Commentary link I provided, is how he does an excellent job of demonstrating the correlations between Isaiah's verses and the events in the New Testament.

He shows how the Jews and Gentiles reacted to hearing the message, etc. It's excellent work, and I hope you find it helpful.

View Quote

Yes, I'm familiar with Aquinas and Augustine thru MacArthur and Sproul..

Thanks for the site..??

Yes many verses from Isaiah and other OT books were used in the gospels to reveal Christ to the Jewish people and then to the Gentiles...

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is how I understand Isaiah 6, @SmilinEd

Isaiah is having his first vision of G-d and is startled by it b/c he feels he himself is unclean and not worthy of being visited by G-d. He is talking about his own unclean lips and saying he has been around unclean people.

Then a seraphim flew to him and touched his lips with coal as a purification ritual to clean him and Isaiah calmed down and listened to G-d.

G-d asked him who he should send to be a messenger and Isaiah volunteered himself.

Then G-d told him he was to go and callous the hearts of the people of Israel so that they would not know how to be healed from their wicked ways. G-d wanted Isaiah to keep them from understanding what they had done wrong and how to make it right.

Isaiah did not argue with G-d, he just simply asked, for how long?

And G-d told him until their cities were destroyed and they had been forced to desert their homes and their land.

G-d was angry with them and said he would destroy almost all of them leaving only 1/10 of them as holy seeds to regenerate Israel.
View Quote

Isaiah didn't callous their Hearts against God, Israel had done that to themselves.. Isaiah 5 verse 2

God didn't just leave a tenth, God chose a tenth, and ppl argue about election..

You might want to read Matthew Chapter 21 verses 33-46 ( could you post that scripture..)
You could compare Isaiah 5 to above scripture

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Isaiah didn't callous their Hearts against God, Israel had done that to themselves.. Isaiah 5 verse 2

God didn't just leave a tenth, God chose a tenth, and ppl argue about election..

You might want to read Matthew Chapter 21 verses 33-46 ( could you post that scripture..)
You could compare Isaiah 5 to above scripture

View Quote

The Parable of the Wicked Tenants
33 “Listen to another parable. There was a landowner who planted a vineyard, put a fence around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a watchtower. Then he leased it to tenants and went to another country. 34 When the harvest time had come, he sent his slaves to the tenants to collect his produce. 35 But the tenants seized his slaves and beat one, killed another, and stoned another. 36 Again he sent other slaves, more than the first; and they treated them in the same way. 37 Finally he sent his son to them, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ 38 But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, ‘This is the heir; come, let us kill him and get his inheritance.’ 39 So they seized him, threw him out of the vineyard, and killed him. 40 Now when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?” 41 They said to him, “He will put those wretches to a miserable death, and lease the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the produce at the harvest time.”

42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the scriptures:

‘The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the cornerstone;[a]
this was the Lord’s doing,
   and it is amazing in our eyes’?

43 Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom. 44 The one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.”

45 When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was speaking about them. 46 They wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowds, because they regarded him as a prophet.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you gentlemen
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Parable of the Wicked Tenants
33 “Listen to another parable. There was a landowner who planted a vineyard, put a fence around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a watchtower. Then he leased it to tenants and went to another country. 34 When the harvest time had come, he sent his slaves to the tenants to collect his produce. 35 But the tenants seized his slaves and beat one, killed another, and stoned another. 36 Again he sent other slaves, more than the first; and they treated them in the same way. 37 Finally he sent his son to them, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ 38 But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, ‘This is the heir; come, let us kill him and get his inheritance.’ 39 So they seized him, threw him out of the vineyard, and killed him. 40 Now when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?” 41 They said to him, “He will put those wretches to a miserable death, and lease the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the produce at the harvest time.”

42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the scriptures:

‘The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the cornerstone;[a]
this was the Lord’s doing,
   and it is amazing in our eyes’?

43 Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom. 44 The one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.”

45 When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was speaking about them. 46 They wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowds, because they regarded him as a prophet.

View Quote

Thanks for posting that VG...??
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that VG...??
View Quote

You're welcome!

I love Isaiah, and how he foretold Christ: (not mine)

Many of the wonderful prophesies of Isaiah are about the Savior. “Behold,” he wrote, “a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel” (Isa. 7:14). We read in the New Testament about when this took place. Jesus was born to Mary in Bethlehem. (See Luke 2.)

As Jesus grew, He learned all that Heavenly Father wanted Him to learn. “And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord,” wrote Isaiah. Jesus learned to be kind, and fair, and merciful. Isaiah wrote that the Savior wouldn’t judge people by what He could see on the outside or by what He heard, but He would judge people with righteousness, knowing what was in their hearts. (See Isa. 11:2–4 and 1 Sam. 16:7.)

Jesus would “preach good tidings unto the meek” and would “bind up the brokenhearted,” and “proclaim liberty to the captives” (Isa. 61:1). Isaiah truly saw the wonderful things the Savior would do for us. The good tidings of the gospel teach us of His Atonement, which makes it possible for us to repent when we make mistakes. He suffered for each one of us. “Surely,” Isaiah wrote, “he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows. …

“He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities [wrongdoings]; … and with his stripes we are healed.” (Isa. 53:4–5.)

The scriptures teach us of the Savior, and Isaiah is one of the prophets who wrote about Him.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I take from the “filled with smoke” and “took a coal from the altar” that it could be incense. Keeping in mind that Revelations describes incense.

I don’t think even Moses looked at the Lord’s face.

View Quote

I think it is a coal from the Golden altar of incense, which itself was taken from the Brazen altar (for burnt offerings).

The connections are interesting. This is a description of the most holy place, and it is the year Uzziah died. Uzziah was a king  who was stricken with leprosy because, as a king, he burned incense in the most holy place, the job of a priest.

I suspect this vision is to cheer Isaiah up because a king in whom held alot of promise to be a good one fell from grace.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top