Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why do drone guys wear flight suits when you don't fly?

I don't get to wear a more comfortable uniform just because I am a wizard at Xbox.
View Quote
Why do pilots wear flight suits when they are in staff positions and aren’t even currently qualified to fly an airplane?  Because the Air Force is run by pilots.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This is a move in the right direction.  Since at least WW2 all the services used the same field utilities.  Now it’s just the DoN that’s playing dress up with their special uniforms.
View Quote
Well, to be fair the Navy is more fabulous than the other branches.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The Air Force picked their last camo pattern knowing it didn't work but that was OK because it was "distinctive".  To the point that AF personnel deploying to Afghanistan had to be issued the Army pattern uniforms.  They spent millions because the liked the look.  And now are spending millions to switch again.

Now we have to get the Navy out of the "blueberry" pattern.  I still can't figure out why a military service picked a "camouflage" that stands out everywhere but the one place you WANT to be seen...when you've fallen overboard.

Tiger Stripe (U.S. Air Force)
One would do well not to follow the Air Force. If the Army's first effort at a new pattern was idiotic, the Air Force's go was simply embarrassing. First off, the Air Force changed its uniform not because it had found a superior camouflage, but because its chief of staff wanted something that looked "distinctive." (Which is, in fact, the opposite of camouflage.) So just as the United States was gearing up for war in Iraq, the Air Force selected a new tiger stripe pattern in blue and gray made of a material too hot for comfortable use in desert environments. Mercifully, the blue color scheme was later shouted down by the ranks for being "a little too distinctive."

The tiger stripe pattern remained, but the colors were changed to those used in the ineffective Army universal camouflage pattern. (See the photos here.) Today, deployed airmen are issued MultiCam-patterned uniforms. In other words, seven years after the invasion of Afghanistan, the Air Force settled on a color scheme that can be worn everywhere except Afghanistan. If the Marines are clinging to MARPAT to attract recruits, it almost seems like the Air Force is using theirs as a recruit repellent. Only one other country uses the U.S. Air Force design for its military: The Dominican Republic, which is itself all but an operational branch of the Mexican drug cartels. In a way, that might actually be the best argument for the pattern's effectiveness.
View Quote
The irresponsibly stupid and dangerous camouflage patterns of the U.S. military
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't get to wear a more comfortable uniform just because I am a wizard at Xbox.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought that tiger stripe stuff looked sweet when I saw the drone guys at the grocery store
For the record, we hate being called "drone guys."  Also, if they were RPA aircrew, they probably would be in flight suits.  You most likely saw either the maintenance or some support contingent.

Flight suit isn't only for fliers. Many in Ops wear it. ICBM crews also wear it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Navy do wear an American flag and Navy Jack on their uniform so that’s kinda cool.

And the Marines love themselves so much they put the EGA all over the pattern.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because we’re fucking awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because we’re fucking awesome.
Well played.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Flight suit isn't only for fliers. Many in Ops wear it. ICBM crews also wear it.
View Quote
At this point the only surprise is that cyber one series aren’t wearing them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Navy do wear an American flag and Navy Jack on their uniform so that’s kinda cool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m waiting form them, Marines, to go the penis camo collection.

Or even better a crayon with balls at the bottom.  That there is trademarked, not to be used without written permission of Ricky Bobby, Inc
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

While the OCP is admittedly a far better uniform, the old BDU's we had with the velcro name/rank back in the 90's was better. OCP's seem to fit better, but are significantly hotter than summer weight ABU/BDU's.
View Quote
They sure were cheaper when it came to buying new uniforms, no patches to get sewn on.

I think the new OCP looks like a good worn set of BDUs. My flight in Basic was one of the first to get issued BDUs, my issued field jacket was OD though. There were still folks mixed in here and there at Lackland in ODs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought that tiger stripe stuff looked sweet when I saw the drone guys at the grocery store
For the record, we hate being called "drone guys."  Also, if they were RPA aircrew, they probably would be in flight suits.  You most likely saw either the maintenance or some support contingent.

I am well aware. My opinion, and only my opinion is that if you're not ACTIVELY in the act of flying an actual aircraft, you should be slumming it up like the rest of us. Otherwise you are not leading by example.

Our commander came by last weekend rocking his pickle suit and griped at an engine guy who had desert tan boots (steel toe because we are maintenance) with his OCP's filthy. (To be expected, they're engine guys and he just crawled out of the nacelle)

No idea what was going through his head. He isn't making friends from the people he relies on.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am well aware. My opinion, and only my opinion is that if you're not ACTIVELY in the act of flying an actual aircraft, you should be slumming it up like the rest of us. Otherwise you are not leading by example.

Our commander came by last weekend rocking his pickle suit and griped at an engine guy who had desert tan boots (steel toe because we are maintenance) with his OCP's filthy. (To be expected, they're engine guys and he just crawled out of the nacelle)

No idea what was going through his head. He isn't making friends from the people he relies on.
View Quote
Honestly, the specific uniform somebody wears is near the bottom of the list of things that don’t matter.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or even better a crayon with balls at the bottom.  That there is trademarked, not to be used without written permission of Ricky Bobby, Inc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

First drawing by a Marine, circa 1432
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Old school pickle suit would be cheaper.

Camo is good but when you are on a big ass airfield is it needed?

Buy functional and cheap, the Pararescue guys can have camo.
View Quote
It would be cheaper to go through the bidding process and start up a whole new production line instead of just buying what the Army already has being manufactured?  
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Honestly, the specific uniform somebody wears is near the bottom of the list of things that don’t matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, but tell that to the people who whine when maintenance guys are dirty or "ZOMG11!!1!1 That guy has a black flag instead of spice brown11!1! Article 15!"

Also I keep forgetting that EPR's are the most important thing we do.

And fit to fight, also being the most important thing we do.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Surprised no one has said anything about this yet.  Seems like it always comes as a shock to many.

Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They sure were cheaper when it came to buying new uniforms, no patches to get sewn on.

I think the new OCP looks like a good worn set of BDUs. My flight in Basic was one of the first to get issued BDUs, my issued field jacket was OD though. There were still folks mixed in here and there at Lackland in ODs.
View Quote
We must have been there at the same time.
@Hanzerik
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Crazy question: If you started off Army, got the ranger tab, then went AF, would you still qualify to wear it?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Two-Piece OCP flight suits suck ass.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@Hanzerik
View Quote
@postpostban

Dec 1988

1988-2011 Retired as an E-7
Nellis, Kessler, Ellsworth, Alconbury/Mildenhall, McGuire/Fort Dix, FE Warren.
Deployed all over.

See you were Prime Beef, I was Red Horse Structures (Nellis), cross trained in 92 into Avionics. Worked B-52(2yrs), MH-53J(3yrs), then got into a couple units that used my Communication Systems skills for other purposes then fixing aircraft. Was a fun and interesting 8.5 years at McGuire and Fort Dix, but it was time to move on, and came out here to WY to babysit cops and officers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're right, but tell that to the people who whine when maintenance guys are dirty or "ZOMG11!!1!1 That guy has a black flag instead of spice brown11!1! Article 15!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An article 15 for wearing a patch specifically authorized by the interim wear guidance would be one I'd love to have sent my way.

The silly thing about the cutover is that right now our supply section isn't allowed to order OCP uniform parts since we haven't officially transitioned uniforms, but most of our guys are wearing OCPs because of deployments.  So if a guy ends up with usserviceable OCP trousers our supply is supposed to order them a brand new set of ABUs with all the patches sewn on them.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

At this point the only surprise is that cyber one series aren’t wearing them.
View Quote
When Cyber was cut over to Ops there was a lot of talk about them wearing black flight suits.

Luckily that shit never happened.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Crazy question: If you started off Army, got the ranger tab, then went AF, would you still qualify to wear it?
View Quote
Yup. Other Army awards, too; a few years ago there was an AF Major who was accused of stolen valor because he had a CIB on his AF service uniform. Turns out he was prior infantry and switched service.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Two-Piece OCP flight suits suck ass.
View Quote
Our guys love them in CENTCOM during the summer since our AC pack doesn't work on the ground.  It's more functional than stripping down to gym shorts for the preflight.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.

You can even start off AF, go to Ranger and still wear the tab. Same goes for AA, Airborne and a few others.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Air Force picked their last camo pattern knowing it didn't work but that was OK because it was "distinctive".  To the point that AF personnel deploying to Afghanistan had to be issued the Army pattern uniforms.  They spent millions because the liked the look.  And now are spending millions to switch again.

Now we have to get the Navy out of the "blueberry" pattern.  I still can't figure out why a military service picked a "camouflage" that stands out everywhere but the one place you WANT to be seen...when you've fallen overboard.

The irresponsibly stupid and dangerous camouflage patterns of the U.S. military
View Quote
NWU Type I is dead jim
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#26]
The Air Force should have found their own new pattern.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Our guys love them in CENTCOM during the summer since our AC pack doesn't work on the ground.  It's more functional than stripping down to gym shorts for the preflight.
View Quote
Don’t get me wrong, I like the concept.

Execution is terrible.  Tops are cut to some wonky-ass size. Pockets are excessively huge on the arms.  Wrist pens flop everywhere.  Pockets on the pants are in a useless configuration with more Velcro over zippers.  And we still have the stupid rescue knife pocket.

Why the fuck are we wearing an Army helo uniform?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#28]
You are all wrong.  OD green is best fatigues.

Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Air Force should have found their own new pattern.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
How much of your body shows above surface when you've fallen overboard?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

An article 15 for wearing a patch specifically authorized by the interim wear guidance would be one I'd love to have sent my way.

The silly thing about the cutover is that right now our supply section isn't allowed to order OCP uniform parts since we haven't officially transitioned uniforms, but most of our guys are wearing OCPs because of deployments.  So if a guy ends up with usserviceable OCP trousers our supply is supposed to order them a brand new set of ABUs with all the patches sewn on them.  
View Quote
I had a guy a few years ago go to a LDP course. He had two ribbons in the wrong place and the funny thing was that he bought the flat salad board from some website and they fucked it up, but he never caught it.

Anyway, while he was there some cock target Security Forces Chief sees the ribbon out of place and pointed it out to the guy. Guy says, "oh, dang, I will get it fixed when I get back."

Thinking it was over then and there they went on with the event.

Monday morning I, a civilian shop chief have some dickhead active duty faggot waiting for me to bitch me out on the phone over how disrespectful and dishonorable my guy was. Bear in mind the person we were talking about is the exact pinnacle of military bearing, etc. I was thinking the guy got shitface and fucked the commander's 16 year old daughter on the table in front of him.

Nope.

The Chief wanted him to fix the error right the fuck yesterday and was offended that he would dare say he will fix it when he got back. He was SCREAMING into the phone howling UIF, Article 15, etc. I asked other people who were there about the event and my guy's story was the official story, while the chief calling his disrespectful was not. When he told me what all this was about and he told me i laughed, and said, "Come on man, seriously?"

He howled, "YOU CALL ME SIR, MASTER SERGEANT!!!"

I simply laughed again and flatly hung up on him. When he called back literally hyperventilating I said, "Hey, who is your commander?"

Called his commander, who was also there literally at the moment the world ending transgression took place, and explained what I was dealing with. Commander apologized profusely and said he would take care of it.

Never heard another word about it, but I fully expect that the good Chief is a member here. Hopefully he chimes in. There are people who look at retarded shit like it matters.

Pretty sure the Chief was out of New Jersey or Shady J.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
WTH is an OCP?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Name tape on the back of the field cover is dumb.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed. That's why we put the name tape on the back of our patrol caps.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Same thing. Still dumb.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We didn't do anything.  The Army has had it since at least the ACU and I'm pretty sure the BDUs day so since we just used their uniform we started doing it too.

At least we don't have a name tape on the ass of our trousers.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We didn't do anything.  The Army has had it since at least the ACU and I'm pretty sure the BDUs day so since we just used their uniform we started doing it too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which, for the record, is also dumb.

The Marines should just go back to these:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Which, for the record, is also dumb.

The Marines should just go back to these:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122245/AEAEDB32-377F-4BF8-A8F6-3C9D22201F6F_jpeg-1153364.JPG
View Quote
Are those the iron-ons for the BDUs?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep. I came in at the front end of name tapes, but we still had to iron on the EGA. Many lulz were had when a knucklehead forgot to cut the USMC part off before applying.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I hate the stacked patches on the left sleeve. It looks fucking retarded and just screams "Look at me I want to be special!"
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hate the stacked patches on the left sleeve. It looks fucking retarded and just screams "Look at me I want to be special!"
View Quote
I wore my school graduation patch on my left sleeve last drill.  My Community College of the Air Force patch was glorious.

What I think is funny is how many of the duty identifier patches there are.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Is that the grad or start date.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I wore my school graduation patch on my left sleeve last drill.  My Community College of the Air Force patch was glorious.

What I think is funny is how many of the duty identifier patches there are.
View Quote
I have that CCAF graduate patch for my flight suit for civilian job.

Funny side note, I work at a guard unit (on my .mil time) with guys in a box who get flight pay but dont fly and I work at my regualr job and fly on AF acft but dont get flight pay
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Hmm
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I liked the greens. Cheap to buy.  If you worked on aircraft you could just get the green coveralls to keep your uniform clean
I liked the black boots too.  A starched uniform and spit shined and bloused boots were professional looking

The greens also showed the fatties right away. The new ones let people hide the growing stomach

The only benefit I see in the new pattern is so we could blend in when we ordered ice cream at the chow hall
You could stand with the chocolate, mint chocolate chip and peanut butter and no one would know you were ordering
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@postpostban

Dec 1988

Deployed all over.

See you were Prime Beef, I was Red Horse Structures (Nellis), cross trained in 92 into Avionics. Worked B-52(2yrs), MH-53J(3yrs), then got into a couple units that used my Communication Systems skills for other purposes then fixing aircraft. Was a fun and interesting 8.5 years at McGuire and Fort Dix, but it was time to move on, and came out here to WY to babysit cops and officers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Hanzerik
@postpostban

Dec 1988

Deployed all over.

@
I was there in May 1989. There was still a mix of od and bdu.
All my uniforms were bdu, but my jacket was od.

Bdu's where great for hiding stains.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I had a guy a few years ago go to a LDP course. He had two ribbons in the wrong place and the funny thing was that he bought the flat salad board from some website and they fucked it up, but he never caught it.

Anyway, while he was there some cock target Security Forces Chief sees the ribbon out of place and pointed it out to the guy. Guy says, "oh, dang, I will get it fixed when I get back."

Thinking it was over then and there they went on with the event.

Monday morning I, a civilian shop chief have some dickhead active duty faggot waiting for me to bitch me out on the phone over how disrespectful and dishonorable my guy was. Bear in mind the person we were talking about is the exact pinnacle of military bearing, etc. I was thinking the guy got shitface and fucked the commander's 16 year old daughter on the table in front of him.

Nope.

The Chief wanted him to fix the error right the fuck yesterday and was offended that he would dare say he will fix it when he got back. He was SCREAMING into the phone howling UIF, Article 15, etc. I asked other people who were there about the event and my guy's story was the official story, while the chief calling his disrespectful was not. When he told me what all this was about and he told me i laughed, and said, "Come on man, seriously?"

He howled, "YOU CALL ME SIR, MASTER SERGEANT!!!"

I simply laughed again and flatly hung up on him. When he called back literally hyperventilating I said, "Hey, who is your commander?"

Called his commander, who was also there literally at the moment the world ending transgression took place, and explained what I was dealing with. Commander apologized profusely and said he would take care of it.

Never heard another word about it, but I fully expect that the good Chief is a member here. Hopefully he chimes in. There are people who look at retarded shit like it matters.

Pretty sure the Chief was out of New Jersey or Shady J.
View Quote
Thank goodness it's now some or all. Just wear one ribbon and you'll never be wrong
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Aside from nostalgia, the OD ones look dumb.

ETA: I’ve been issued BDUs, ACUs, and OCPs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Aside from nostalgia, the OD ones look dumb.

ETA: I’ve been issued BDUs, ACUs, and OCPs.
View Quote
I noticed you said issued not worn.  
Page / 3
Top Top