Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2021 11:11:11 AM EDT
This is a very interesting video from a notable rising scholar which refutes the very widely held belief among many Catholic and Protestant theologians about the Jewish Canonization of the OT in 90 AD. This is a short summary of his much longer lectures on the topic.

The Myth of the Council of Jamnia and the Origin of the Bible

As this theory gains traction, and it should by a quick analysis of his scholarship, it would fundamentally change the credibility of SOME Protestant theologians' justification and evidence for accepting an OT without the Deuterocanonical books.

In short, it would eliminate their ability to say they removed 7 books to be more in line with the original Jewish OT, and necessarily result in the conclusion that they were removed by Luther to justify his false doctrines.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It should be noted that this idea has been floated around since the early 1900s, but what this scholar has done is to compile the bits of evidence of contention from other scholars through the period and created a larger, more compelling refutation using both Christian and Jewish sources.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Dr Brandt Pitre is a treasure. His opinions or theories should not be discounted.

Thank you VallyGunner.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Well done video. This is not new information, but a useful go-to that encapsulates the fallacy of the Jamnian canon.

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well done video. This is not new information, but a useful go-to that encapsulates the fallacy of the Jamnian canon.

Thanks for posting.
View Quote

I'm quite embarrassed to say that this is completely new to me. Looking now, I am seeing many articles about this from some pretty big names.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for this.  I used to have a CD on this topic, but cannot seem to find it.  

Another good talk on the Jewish canon is from John Bergsma.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got to watch the video.  Good stuff.  Even I was taught about the council of jamnia in my Jesuit high school religion classes.  Fascinating stuff.  Thanks for posting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top