Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2022 1:58:21 PM EDT
I've listened to a few audiobooks by Ringo and enjoyed the writing and pro-freedom message.  I know he has a good reputation among us.  I just started listening to "The Last Centurion" and it really hasn't aged well.  It was written in 2008 and it starts off with the protagonist describing a global pandemic and the response to it.  I'm about an hour in and so far the message is not only overwhelmingly pro-vaccine and "fuck those idiots who wouldn't take the vaccine", but it's strongly pro-FORCED vaccination of Americans.  Pro-lockdown, pro-contact tracing resulting in forced vaccination of everyone,"trust the government or you're as asshole", etc.  All around very statist message.
I know that it's unfair to judge a fictional book written in 2008 against the current political reality but the situation that's going on in the book is just eerily similar to what's going on in reality right now but with the major difference being that in the book the disease is actually highly deadly.  But even pre-Covid tyranny I don't think I could have gotten behind this message.
As is stands I'm REALLY not enjoying this book and it's turning my stomach to listen to.  I'm probably going to return it for a credit but I wanted to check here first and see if there's a reason that I should tough it out and continue to listen.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I read it in ‘13 and really enjoyed it but it’s been a while.

That pandemic, IIRC, was much more deadly than the WuFlu, which would certainly adjust the scale on vaccine-related risk tolerance.

Knowing Ringo I’m surprised if he doesn’t have a blog post somewhere contrasting centurion with modern day.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Read it to the end.

Reading seems to imply foreshadowing Quean Hillary as president and the rise of Islamofascism.

Ain't that bad.

ETA: Fixed spelling.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I kept listening and once past all the vaccine stuff at the beginning the rest of the book has been thoroughly based.  I’m enjoying it.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I read it as a hillary gone nuts thing, too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read it in ‘13 and really enjoyed it but it’s been a while.

That pandemic, IIRC, was much more deadly than the WuFlu, which would certainly adjust the scale on vaccine-related risk tolerance.

Knowing Ringo I’m surprised if he doesn’t have a blog post somewhere contrasting centurion with modern day.
View Quote

Similar take here - the disease in TLC was way way way more deadly than COVID is/was/will be and hit all age groups similarly hard vs COVID hitting the old hardest.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read it as a hillary gone nuts thing, too.
View Quote

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top