Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2020 12:42:22 PM EDT
How's the diving then? My chick and I are booked in Bonaire for the first 2 weeks in December, but they have ZERO cases and are showing no signs at all of reopening. I want a back up plan. I've never been to the keys.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been to the Keys in October several times and was run out by a hurricane once. December in the keys will be considerably variable in December, and you will have to put up with some of the well healed snowbirds that flock down starting about then. Some days will be nice and warm and some will be slightly cool but certainly not cold. Pop up rain showers are possible. If you are a boater, the wind can be a factor; some days its calm or gentle breezes, and some days its a steady blow, that makes for rough seas.

We like staying in the Tavernier/Islamorada area. It's not too far down the Keys but still and easy 1 hour 45 minute drive to Key West, (or Key Weird as some call it.) The Keys only has a few beaches scattered up and down its length, the rest is rough shoreline or full of seagrass. Last year some friends went and said the dead sea grass and sea life piled up on the Atlantic side shores stunk so bad that they left and came home early; so get a reading on that before you commit to specific lodging.

Plenty of open air bars and restaurants scattered up and down the Keys.

HTH
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Diving in the keys in december is lovely.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Gulf stream moves closer to the reef in the "winter" aka not summer. This means cleaner water but faster currents. Reefs will be amazing for drift diving. Wrecks will be dependent on current. I've done the Speigel Grove in 6+ knot current by dropping in up current from a private boat, but most charters won't. Also if you like to hunt, lionfish don't require a license and they're delicious. If you want to catch lobster the season is open then but will require SW license and stamp. There's also back country and deep sea fishing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Keys diving is fantastic!  I miss it so much.  I used to live only a hour away from the keys.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Usually December is good.  The winds and waves pick up in January normally.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I just returned from Key West last week. We went diving with Captain's Corner and it was very enjoyable. 40 minute boat ride to the reef, no more than 30' deep, 1 hour bottom time on both dives. It was not as pretty as Cozumel, but it was really easy diving. I would certainly give it a shot if you haven't been down there. We dove in Key Largo a few years ago but Key West is a much cooler town with lots to do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
We lived in Key west for 3 years.  Diving in December should be fine.  Most of us used 3 mil suits.  I’m bald so I wear a hood.   Many good dive shops and dive spots.  Key West is a town thats hard to beat.  Enjoy if you go.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
We lived in Key West for 3 years.  Diving in December should be fine.  Most of us used 3 mil suits.  I’m bald so I wear a hood.   Many good dive shops and dive spots.  Key West is a town thats hard to beat.  Enjoy if you go.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a great experience with Rainbow Reef divers in key largo a few years back. Good people. Crowded boat but lots of dive masters to helpout and they tried to make you feel at home. They go to all of the big wrecks - the Duane and Spiegle Grove.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got back from the keys.  Two days at Looe Key with Looe Key Resort&Dive Center.  Sunny, calm, 77* water. Lots of wildlife. Sharks, rays, turtles, almost every dive.  Crews were great. Unfortunately the weather turned at the end of our trip and we had to cancel our wreck dives.  Seven foot swells and a small boat don't mix so well.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top