Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2019 9:21:20 PM EDT
I just finished re-reading this series and thought I would mention it here.   It is a series of books (8 inall) covering a man's journey from getting on his first star destroyer as a helms man right out of the helmsman academy to the rank of Admiral.

The first book is The Helmsmans by Bill Baldwin.  It starts with Sublieutenant Wilf Brim reporting to his first ship.  A T83 destroyer IFS Truculent.  The ship is used to protect convoys bringing supplies to war torn planets.  
If you like scifi space stories you may like this series.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The series is more like space opera.  I like my military SF a little harder.  Marko Kloos Frontline series has been uniformly excellent.  Surprised Hollywood hasn't latched on yet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Have not read that one. May put it on my list after I finish reading The Quadrail Series by Timothy Zahn. He wrote the first Star Wars books the Thrawn trilogy. Read a few of his other ones. Conquerors trilogy was good yet second book was a little rough to read till I figured out it was dealing with the aliens instead of the humans in it. Other than that second book it was another great trilogy. I have noticed that Zahn likes trilogies.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I just checked Amazon.  The Kindle price for the firs book is $0.99
Here is the link.

The Helmsman
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
After years of delay Bill Baldwin wrote another entry in the series supposedly to wrap it up.
I've heard that he still left some loose threads...... then he passed away.

The last book is "The Turning Tide".

My buddy and I agree that no series may be published until the last book is written.
A number of times I've gotten into a series only to have the author die or just stop writing for some obscure reason.
A terrible example is David Gerrold's "The War Against the Chtoor" series.
He got us hooked, then just stopped writing the series.
I've heard various reasons.
What turned me off at last was after years and years  between books in the last book he put a note in the end about where he was going with the series, then said that he figured there'd be another 7 to 8 books to go.
By the time he finished them at the rate he was producing them would sometime in the 2200's.

Late news is he's "working" on two more.....24 YEARS (as of 2017) after the last book.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marko Kloos Frontline series has been uniformly excellent.  Surprised Hollywood hasn't latched on yet.
View Quote
One of the episodes of the Netflix series Love Death and Robots is based on his short story Lucky 13.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top