Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 2/24/2021 9:48:44 PM EDT
Not sure I would call it a failure quite yet, but the Air Force may be looking to fire up that money printer

Click here, Comrade
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
MIC FTW
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The author and I have very different recollections of the JSF program requirements, development, EMD, and the such.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to EAA (20 mins away) and there was a Marine F35 there with a rope around it. Towards the end of the day the pilot walked up to answer questions with his very hot gf/fuck buddy. They talked for a bit a big ol kiss and then he ripped down the runway. Never been so jealous in my life.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
China thanks you for your service.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The idea that the air force will ever by another 1,000 single type planes of any kind is akin to thinking the navy will one day have a 600 fleet navy.

Shit's too expensive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, wait, this is the War is Boring guy?

Their stuff sucks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The idea that the air force will ever by another 1,000 single type planes of any kind is akin to thinking the navy will one day have a 600 fleet navy.

Shit's to expensive.
View Quote
Too many missions for one platform.

The hovering VTOL shit should have been laughed out of the room. Instead, here we are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the first thing Zero did was to cancel the F-22 before we had taken delivery of all of them. They said it was because you didn't need a $120m fighter to fight terrorists. Unlike Shrub, Obama was smart and wise!

A couple month later, Obama was passing though Alaska on a refueling stop, and would be getting off Air Force one to give a speech to the airmen on the joint base. It was winter, so it was going to be in a hanger. The base wanted to show off they were one of the few bases with the state-of-the-art F-22, but the advance people freaked, because the optics of Obama speaking in front of the fighter he canceled would look bad. So they moved the F-22 out and brought in an old F-15c as the backdrop.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Only one way to find out....
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the first thing Zero did was to cancel the F-22 before we had taken delivery of all of them. They said it was because you didn't need a $120m fighter to fight terrorists. Unlike Shrub, Obama was smart and wise!

A couple month later, Obama was passing though Alaska on a refueling stop, and would be getting off Air Force one to give a speech to the airmen on the joint base. It was winter, so it was going to be in a hanger. The base wanted to show off they were one of the few bases with the state-of-the-art F-22, but the advance people freaked, because the optics of Obama speaking in front of the fighter he canceled would look bad. So they moved the F-22 out and brought in an old F-15c as the backdrop.
View Quote
The final F-22 tail number more or less a done deal before Obama was even a US Senator.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]
People who speculate about these types of weapons systems have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The final F-22 tail number more or less a done deal before Obama was even a US Senator.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

??? I thought he canceled the program before they had all been delivered.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Shit's too expensive.
View Quote
War Bonds.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL Fuckin Forbes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a good friend and co-worker who just transitioned from F-16s to F-35s last year. When I asked him what he thought of he said while the F-16 was the slightly better raw performer in terms of dogfighting the F-35 was leaps and bounds better in every other respect (integration of stealth, radar, avionics, weapons, etc) that it wasn't even close and definitely the one he'd go to war in. The damn thing is just too expensive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right.  They were all delivered, Obama just said he'd veto if Congress tried to buy any more.

The USAF originally envisioned ordering 750 ATFs at a total program cost of $44.3 billion and procurement cost of $26.2 billion in fiscal year (FY) 1985 dollars, with production beginning in 1994. The 1990 Major Aircraft Review led by Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney reduced this to 648 aircraft beginning in 1996. By 1997, funding instability had further cut the total to 339, which was again reduced to 277 by 2003.[27] In 2004, the Department of Defense (DoD) further reduced this to 183 operational aircraft, despite the USAF's preference for 381.[28][29] A multi-year procurement plan was implemented in 2006 to save $15 billion, with total program cost projected to be $62 billion for 183 F-22s distributed to seven combat squadrons.[30] In 2008, Congress passed a defense spending bill that raised the total orders for production aircraft to 187.[31][32]

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obama had virtually nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The hovering VTOL shit should have been laughed out of the room. Instead, here we are.
View Quote

That aircraft has enabled nations without CATOBAR to put super-sonic stealth planes on helicopter destroyers. Or...basically wherever else they want to put them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
People who speculate about these types of weapons systems have no fucking clue what they are talking about.
View Quote

I absolutely love getting "schooled" on GD on matters of combat airpower from people who have no fucking clue what they're talking about, yet feel that because they play DCS or have a subscription to Aviation Week they can speak on the topics with some authority.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You are right.  They were all delivered, Obama just said he'd veto if Congress tried to buy any more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The USAF originally envisioned ordering 750 ATFs at a total program cost of $44.3 billion and procurement cost of $26.2 billion in fiscal year (FY) 1985 dollars, with production beginning in 1994. The 1990 Major Aircraft Review led by Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney reduced this to 648 aircraft beginning in 1996. By 1997, funding instability had further cut the total to 339, which was again reduced to 277 by 2003.[27] In 2004, the Department of Defense (DoD) further reduced this to 183 operational aircraft, despite the USAF's preference for 381.[28][29] A multi-year procurement plan was implemented in 2006 to save $15 billion, with total program cost projected to be $62 billion for 183 F-22s distributed to seven combat squadrons.[30] In 2008, Congress passed a defense spending bill that raised the total orders for production aircraft to 187.[31][32]

Somewhere in a box in my storage unit is a table laminated with scotch tape and a lone thumbtack hole in it.  This is the table my boss printed for us with tail numbers and projected delivery dates circa 2001 or 2002.  I think the order was already reduced to 225 on that table.  But, memory is prone to error.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a good friend and co-worker who just transitioned from F-16s to F-35s last year. When I asked him what he thought of he said while the F-16 was the slightly better raw performer in terms of dogfighting the F-35 was leaps and bounds better in every other respect (integration of stealth, radar, avionics, weapons, etc) that it wasn't even close and definitely the one he'd go to war in. The damn thing is just too expensive.
View Quote

This is exactly the same thing I hear from former bros of mine who left the F-15E to fly the F-35.

I have a little experience with it, as I was a test subject when they were doing JSF cockpit development back in the very late 90s, and I have fought F-35s in the F-15E.  Although "Fat Amy" certainly doesn't win first place in the swimsuit competition, she excels in the talent competition, especially when compared to just about anything 4th gen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Airforce is just the Army with wings.
They love spending money on bullshit that will never happen
They dont want a platform that other branches use
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#28]
The investors like it.

btw: Do they still have to use the special fueling equipment that keeps the fuel refrigerated or whatever?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Restart the F-14 production line.  Don't talk to me about cost!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Super Tucano for cheap and light and cas.  Could probably also win in dogfighting a helo or Cessna 172.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That aircraft has enabled nations without CATOBAR to put super-sonic stealth planes on helicopter destroyers. Or...basically wherever else they want to put them.
View Quote

Yep - For countries like Japan, it is nothing short of revolutionary.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is exactly the same thing I hear from former bros of mine who left the F-15E to fly the F-35.

I have a little experience with it, as I was a test subject when they were doing JSF cockpit development back in the very late 90s, and I have fought F-35s in the F-15E.  Although "Fat Amy" certainly doesn't win first place in the swimsuit competition, she excels in the talent competition, especially when compared to just about anything 4th gen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great way to put it. He's heard similar remarks from others.. former F-15s, F-16s, and F-18 pilots. From an fusion perspective they're just barely scratching the surface on what the plane is capable of and the more combat sorties it sees the more they all collectively learn. While I think the design is hampered by the VSTOL requirement.. I can only imagine what it's like transitioning from an AV-8B to an F-35, must be a new universe for those guys
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#34]
A Brewster Buffalo for the 21st century.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The investors like it.

btw: Do they still have to use the special fueling equipment that keeps the fuel refrigerated or whatever?
View Quote
I don't think the F-35 program ever used fuel chiller support equipment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Super Tucano for cheap and light and cas.  Could probably also win in dogfighting a helo or Cessna 172.
View Quote

Don't kid yourself about dogfighting helos.

A rotary-wing gets the jump on you, and you're dead.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lockheed has preserved all F-22 tooling and could immediately resume production if orders are sent.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lockheed has preserved all F-22 tooling and could immediately resume production if orders are sent.
View Quote

That's not at all true. Lockheed has admitted that they don't have the equipment or technical expertise to start production again. A lot of the people who designed and produced the aircraft are retired now..
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#39]

There's a very good reason why we got rid of the round parts of the plane.  Modern digital radar operators will love this 50 year old design!  I bet it has antique license plates.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's not at all true. Lockheed has admitted that they don't have the equipment or technical expertise to start production again. A lot of the people who designed and produced the aircraft are retired now..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL lol [slightly less of a LOL than the LOL in the post above]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:18:19 AM EDT
[#42]
How many anti-white supremacy leaflets can it deliver per second?  That is the true measure of a successful platform.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#44]
By the time you pay for new R&D for a new airframe, and stuff it with the same wizbang electronics that you already use in the F-35, it will end up being more expensive than just buying more F-35s.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wonder what’s in those bulges on the wing.
View All Quotes
Electrohydraulics.  Might not sound like much, but the F-35 has a radically different hydraulic system compared to its predecessors.  The F-35 follows MEA, More Electric Aircraft concept.  Instead of having a centralized duplex hydraulic system of pressurized lines, it utilizes a federated system of electrohydraulics that don't have interconnected hydraulic lines.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:05:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Electrohydraulics.  Might not sound like much, but the F-35 has a radically different hydraulic system compared to its predecessors.  The F-35 follows MEA, More Electric Aircraft concept.  Instead of having a centralized duplex hydraulic system of pressurized lines, it utilizes a federated system of electrohydraulics that don't have interconnected hydraulic lines.
View Quote

So are the bulges space for the hydraulic pumps?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:06:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

You realize that being able to do stuff while hovering in midair isn't the point of VTOL, right? I know Call of Duty 4 had that Harrier killstreak where the jet shoots at people while hovering in place, but that's not what VTOL is actually for in real life.

The point is to be able to operate the aircraft from platforms where you don't have a long enough runway to take off and land conventionally.

Japan is operating F-35s from ships that were originally designed just for helicopters and don't even have runways.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:08:46 AM EDT
[#48]
The F35 is selling like hot cakes around the world.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:12:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More or less.  You'll notice the same thing on the 22, but how the two go about accomplishing the same thing is quite different.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You realize that being able to do stuff while hovering in midair isn't the point of VTOL, right? I know Call of Duty 4 had that Harrier killstreak where the jet shoots at people while hovering in place, but that's not what VTOL is actually for in real life.

The point is to be able to operate the aircraft from platforms where you don't have a long enough runway to take off and land conventionally.

Japan is operating F-35s from ships that were originally designed just for helicopters and don't even have runways.
View Quote

And don't forget the HMS Queen Elizabeth carrying 60 of them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top