Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My question is… Why?

Two or three smaller subs would be superior, and cost about the same. Big enough to sink an aircraft carrier, or launch an ICBM, is big enough.
View Quote

One ICBM? Just one?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Clicked on this expecting to see a massive battleship. Nope, a sub. Weird.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wonder if the RR reactors leak as much as ever other RR engine I’ve seen or owned?
View Quote

Different companies
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody want to bet they end up with three instead of four due to cost overruns and budget stuff?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But can it launch an ICBM horizontally?
View Quote

Yeah, but why would you want to?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This thing is going to shoot the D5 Trident missile.  Each missile is about 45 feet long and weighs 130,000 lbs, and she's gonna carry a dozen of them.  Remember the UK has no land based nuclear deterrent either, their nuclear weapons package is all on submarines.  The UK needs these boats.
View Quote

These boats will be prioritized over every other ship in the fleet.

The real bitching I have is about AUKUS.  There was zero way to get Australia into SSNs to replace the obsolete Collins class they keep cobbling together.

The USN is going to lose three new Virginia SSNs to start AUKUS.  England never was going to be able to provide Australia any SSNs within the decade.  The Dreadnought class is taking up their yard space and their Astute replacements will follow their SSBNs.

Yes the French were ripping off the Australians but the Australians were dumb.  They should have inked the deal with the Japanese for a bunch of their Soryu or Taigei SSPs.  They probably would be closed to having two boats in service by now and a bunch of cash in their pocket to finish the project.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Oz needs SSNs. SSKs aren’t fast enough and/or don’t have the endurance for the Pacific.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, the British Dreadnought won't be "tiny" in comparison. A Typhoon-class sub is only approx 70 feet longer in length, and about 30 more feet longer in beam (displacement isn't the only metric here). Draught is about the same.

Smaller, perhaps. But then again, that's why the article clearly stated it's the biggest Great Britain has ever produced, not Russia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Soviet Typhoon class displaced 48k tons when submerged.  The new Dreadnought is tiny by comparison.  She displaces more than a WW II Treaty Cruiser (limited to 10k tons) and about as much as a late war WW II cruiser (Baltimore class CA 13,000 tons light and 17,000 tons full load).

BTW, that image of the Dreadnought reminds me of a capsized surfboard.

No, the British Dreadnought won't be "tiny" in comparison. A Typhoon-class sub is only approx 70 feet longer in length, and about 30 more feet longer in beam (displacement isn't the only metric here). Draught is about the same.

Smaller, perhaps. But then again, that's why the article clearly stated it's the biggest Great Britain has ever produced, not Russia.

I thought at 17k tons displacement it was huge and bigger than our boats, but just read the Columbia class will be over 21K tons. Makes sense since our boats will carry an extra Trident module.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don’t understand why go physically big on sub?

Wouldn’t a bunch of tinier distributed fire power platforms be more advantageous with automation to replace/supplement crew?
View Quote

I’m no expert, but nowadays naval architecture favors bigger boats.

Each boat needs a nuclear reactor, all of the expensive sonar and other systems.  Those are very large, basically fixed costs.  By the time you pay for all that, scaling up the boat to be larger is small potatoes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But why?

The technology of 1930 doesn't have much use. There are better ways to sink ships and kill people now.
View Quote

It’s not about offensive capability, it’s about surviving the first wave if Chinese missiles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They probably wanted to keep the multi billion pound purchases in their own shipyards for political and industrial base reasons so the common missile compartment was the best compromise they could make. They already buy the Trident missiles from us so buying the launch tube section was justifiable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't see why they don't just buy Columbia subs.  They'd be the one country we would sell them too

They probably wanted to keep the multi billion pound purchases in their own shipyards for political and industrial base reasons so the common missile compartment was the best compromise they could make. They already buy the Trident missiles from us so buying the launch tube section was justifiable.

I don’t think they actually buy individual missiles.  They buy the right to use of missiles from USN stocks.  Their subs take in missiles in Georgia and then go back to the UK to install the British warheads.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anybody want to bet they end up with three instead of four due to cost overruns and budget stuff?
View Quote

I expect they would cut somewhere else.  This is their nuclear deterrent and four seems to be the minimum to ensure one on station at all times when accounting for unplanned maintenance or extended down time like nuclear refueling.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Rolls royce reactor? Yea that'll never break down
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’m no expert, but nowadays naval architecture favors bigger boats.

Each boat needs a nuclear reactor, all of the expensive sonar and other systems.  Those are very large, basically fixed costs.  By the time you pay for all that, scaling up the boat to be larger is small potatoes.
View Quote

To everyone’s same line of thinking,

That makes sense.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's a fitting name for a doomsday ship.  The last active HMS Dreadnought was a submarine too.

Dreadnought, Valiant, Warspite, King George VI.  Those are good names.
View Quote

We need to return to the tradition of giving our warships cool names instead of naming them after shitbag politicians and geography.  Which would you rather serve on: the USS Wazoo or the USS Nancy Pelosi?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just learned that Rolls-Royce builds nuclear reactors.
View Quote
The Bentley reactors are a bit sportier and slightly less pretentious.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lol. No faked up photo there - the subs wake is smaller than the RIB boats wake.
View Quote

You don’t say?  They don’t have a real photo of their yet to be laid down sub at sea?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Arleigh Burkes for the most part are alright, and the latest batch of Virginias are awesome.  SSN-804 through 807 are going to be Barb, Tang, Wahoo and Silversides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need to return to the tradition of giving our warships cool names instead of naming them after shitbag politicians and geography.  Which would you rather serve on: the USS Wazoo or the USS Nancy Pelosi?
The Arleigh Burkes for the most part are alright, and the latest batch of Virginias are awesome.  SSN-804 through 807 are going to be Barb, Tang, Wahoo and Silversides.
Going back to the OG fish names! That's the way it should have stayed in the first place. It irks me that one of our most badass subs is named after peanut man.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You don’t say?  They don’t have a real photo of their yet to be laid down sub at sea?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. No faked up photo there - the subs wake is smaller than the RIB boats wake.

No, but they have the tech to easily make a much better fake
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The computer leaked too much oil on the good screen shot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably blew a gasket rendering the AI beauty

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#29]
What are those doors?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I approve with this military expenditure.
With all our military might IMO the reason no one screws with the US and it’s Allie’s are boomer submarines.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have VERY little faith that the Brit Navy will ever actually put them out to sea.

[unless the US actually builds them and pays for a huge part of the cost]
View Quote
Came to post this.  WTF does England even need this for?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Thought they were bringing back the arsenal ship.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are some in GD who would service Nacy Pelosi's wazoo.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just learned that Rolls-Royce builds nuclear reactors.
View Quote

The west are the only ones who can do anything.

Ching Chong and Vodka drunks can't even make the fans on a jet engine correctly. They are horribly lucky we've temporarily paused killing each other as is western tradition for thousands of years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Also I love orders of last resort
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Is this a window for viewing on the sail??

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top