Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/4/2021 8:43:20 PM EDT
Rifle stabilizer first developed for US Army's defunct ‘Iron Man’ suit is tested for use by individual soldiers to help them hit targets with 'deadly accuracy' - even while in the standing position
The Aim Control Enhancer was developed for the shuttered TALOS program
It's now being tested for the Army's Next Generation Squad Weapon Program
The ACE attaches to the rifle barrel and is held in the non-shooting hand
Using small gyros it counters even slight wobble,  keeping the shooter on target
Inventors estimate the nine-ounce device will retail for about $1,000

The Army is currently experimenting with a piece of technology as part of its Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) effort designed to enhance a soldier’s aim by stabilizing a weapon’s barrel against unnecessary or unintended movement, Task & Purpose has learned.

The so-called Aim Control Enhancer (ACE), originally developed as part of U.S. Special Operations Command’s now-abandoned ‘Iron Man’ suit effort, is currently undergoing evaluation “for possible use” with the NGSW, according to Peter Rowland, a spokesman for the Army’s Program Executive Office Soldier.

The system, which attaches to the Picatinny rail that’s a standard feature of most military rifles, can best be described as a ‘mechanical isolator’ for a soldier’s support hand, according to Matt Angle, the Wyoming-based electrical engineer who originally developed the system before piquing the U.S. military’s interest at a government-sponsored innovation summit in Austin, Texas back in 2016.

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/army-next-generation-squad-weapon-iron-man-suit/

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Needs more dickmod.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
So when is it going to be available in Call of Duty
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
"Inventors estimate the nine-ounce device will retail for about $1,000"- interesting detail...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
20 year old tech, just a little smaller and probably better battery life.

Saw an article many moons ago where they put one on a 10-22.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Inventors estimate the nine-ounce device will retail for about $1,000"- interesting detail...
View Quote

Looks like they want to go to the consumer market...  But only if an AWB doesnt pass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So when is it going to be available in Call of Duty
View Quote

It's already there, it's called Cronus Zen
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
is that a Centurion?

kinda sexah..
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I played with a Barrett M82a1 that was mounted to two gyros...
It was wizardry on how stable it was.

The technology is there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The Army's "marksmanship" training is an absolute joke. Maybe they should start there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I’d rather have a grenade launcher but this is cool too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Neat.

Gyroscopes have been around since antiquity. It's cool to see what can be done with them now.

Kinda like the Sea Keeper; it eliminates 95% of roll in 'small' boats.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
When our soldiers run out of batteries or their crutches stop working, they're screwed.

There's technology and then there's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Works on boats.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
20 year old tech, just a little smaller and probably better battery life.

Saw an article many moons ago where they put one on a 10-22.
View Quote

Yup. The prototype used DeWalt batteries.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Just need a 6’ tall grip pod dumbasses.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some Senator is about to get rich...er

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Army's "marksmanship" training is an absolute joke. Maybe they should start there.
View Quote

Harsh, But FairTM
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a potential future target, I wish for no such thing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Zorg Presents the ZF1 - The Fifth Element (4/8) Movie CLIP (1997) HD
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like shrunk-down aimlock

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#23]
AimLock Trade Show Video 2018 1080p
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Thought I might jump in here - I'm the guy behind it.  I've been lurking here for a while, but rarely post.  This project started off as a drunken weekend a long time ago and has been my day job for the past 3+ years.  It's been a fun ride.  Feel free to ask questions.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've used similar tech with a video camera in a helicopter.

This was quite a few years ago, so it was larger, obviously.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.hawaiicamera.com%2Fproduct_image%2Fimage%2F2538%2Fproduct_page_KF0A4958.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Worked well though.
View Quote

Guess it can walk to first
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#26]
That’s cool. Will it hinder fast acquisition, rifle manipulation? It’s like one of those forearm exerciser balls, right?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thought I might jump in here - I'm the guy behind it.  I've been lurking here for a while, but rarely post.  This project started off as a drunken weekend a long time ago and has been my day job for the past 3+ years.  It's been a fun ride.  Feel free to ask questions.

https://media.giphy.com/media/qvJbZfp3SXFqh1N73F/giphy.gif
View Quote

Cool....is it available (or going to be available) for purchase?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#28]
@mangle

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
That’s cool. Will it hinder fast acquisition, rifle manipulation? It’s like one of those forearm exerciser balls, right?

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cool....is it available (or going to be available) for purchase?
View Quote

Not yet available commercially, but we're working on it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very cool idea and great out of the box thinking.

What happens if you are swinging on a moving target, do you get any adverse inputs into the stabilization system?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks pretty cool. Even if it doesn't pan out, maybe it'll launch some other tech.

What a fascinating modern age we live in.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Oh look....another ridiculous weapon “system” that they’ll test for a decade and never adopt, because any E1 could tell you from day one that the thing is ridiculously unwieldy, awkward, and overly complicated (a conclusion the pentagon well come to in 2032 after $37 million has been spent).
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When our soldiers run out of batteries or their crutches stop working, they're screwed.

There's technology and then there's ridiculous.
View Quote

I remember when red dots exploded in popularity. This is literally what every single old timer said about them, and everyone using them was digging their own grave etc....

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a little getting used to it on fast transitions.  Some people like it in a CQB environment, as they find they can settle sights faster while on the move.  Rifle manipulation is unchanged.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn really?

Thats crazy
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh look....another ridiculous weapon “system” that they’ll test for a decade and never adopt, because any E1 could tell you from day one that the thing is ridiculously unwieldy, awkward, and overly complicated (a conclusion the pentagon well come to in 2032 and after $37 million has been spent).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh look....another ridiculous weapon “system” that they’ll test for a decade and never adopt, because any E1 could tell you from day one that the thing is ridiculously unwieldy, awkward, and overly complicated (a conclusion the pentagon well come to in 2032 and after $37 million has been spent).

So new weapons should not be developed, tested, learned from?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's a little getting used to it on fast transitions.  Some people like it in a CQB environment, as they find they can settle sights faster while on the move.  Rifle manipulation is unchanged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is very cool. Congratulations and I hope for many great successes for you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Very cool idea and great out of the box thinking.

What happens if you are swinging on a moving target, do you get any adverse inputs into the stabilization system?
View Quote

Thanks!

It works fine with moving targets.  All considered in the algorithm that runs it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

What makes this worth $1,000?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Interesting concept
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Its becoming quite evident people do not understand research and development.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's some kind of gyroscope or what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've used similar tech with a video camera in a helicopter.

This was quite a few years ago, so it was larger, obviously.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.hawaiicamera.com%2Fproduct_image%2Fimage%2F2538%2Fproduct_page_KF0A4958.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Worked well though.

It's some kind of gyroscope or what?

Novelty camera testicles, obviously.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Badass! Tell us more.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Neat.  Pretty great idea honestly.  It would never occur to me spontaneously but makes sense instantly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you considered Michael J Fox as a spokesperson?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh look....another ridiculous weapon “system” that they’ll test for a decade and never adopt, because any E1 could tell you from day one that the thing is ridiculously unwieldy, awkward, and overly complicated (a conclusion the pentagon well come to in 2032 after $37 million has been spent).
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top