Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/17/2019 12:58:30 AM EDT
Do you use peanut oil? What type of oil do you use?

What flavor profile do you use?

I’m thinking about doing the Cajun style deep fried.

Can anyone recommend a kit? Zatarains has a kit any use it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Wife and I were just talking about it a couple of weeks ago.  We skipped a couple of years, but this year will  definitely be frying the turkey.

Peanut Oil...because there is no other Coonass approved oil.

Injected with Tony Chachere's Creole Style Butter
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Any peanut oil will do.

Skip the kit, get an injector.
Slather your bird generously in mustard, sprinkle that sonofabitch in Old Bay seasoning.
Melt a couple sticks of butter, inject the bird as desired.

Fry 3.5 mins per pound. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Smoked it in years past.

This year will be brined and oven roasted.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#4]
First two posts sound good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Fried one once - no smell of turkey cooking in the oven and no gravy. Hard pass for me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Done it every year that I’m not in some hot & shitty place.

Peanut Oil is the only way to go, has a higher flash point.

I have a brine I use that I’ve just about mastered.

5 gallon paint bucket (new, food grade), stuff belly with  about 3 packs Rosemary, 3 packs thyme, 2 handfuls smashed garlic. Put the bird in the bucket, fill half way with water, then add more rosemary, thyme, garlic, black pepper, 3 sliced and squeezed whole lemons, cover with ice.

Set that bucket inside a cooler for 48 hours, adding ice as needed to keep cold.

When you are ready to cook, remove bird from ice bath, drain and let come up close to room temp, then lower into deep fryer.

Careful when lowering into fryer, the bird should not be cold and make sure to remove any ice cubes or chunks from the bird.

375-380 is about what you want to get the fryer up to once the bird is in, add oil as needed once the bird is in to cover the whole thing.

About a 12 pound bird is the best size for deep frying.

I’ll post again if there is anything g else I remember...they are tasty, good luck with what ever recipe you try.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Done it a few times, likely won't again. I like my birds stuffed, and pan drippings are life.  I do a "dry brine".
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Forgot what type of turkey / brand do you use for deep frying?

Was thinking butterball.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Butterball is fine.

I have used those, main thing I look for is a bird that is NOT frozen, in the 10-12 pound range.

Another poster above hit the fry time, I forgot to mention that.

3.5-4 minutes per pound.

Make sure the oil is at 375-380 before the bird goes in, once you lower the bird in the oil temp will drop, you’ll need to increase heat quickly to get it back up to 375, once there 3.5-4 mins per pound.

Again, be careful when lowering the bird into the fryer.
I highly recommend to do it outside and on a non-flammable surface, and have a fire extinguisher on hand.

ETA- I have it down to where I can look at the color and tell it’s done, it will have a nice Golden Color on the skin when done, don’t go too much longer once it’s reached that color, it can be too dry once you pull it and let it rest.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forgot what type of turkey / brand do you use for deep frying?

Was thinking butterball.
View Quote
My dad's been doing one with the Butterball fryer for years.  Not sure what else he does but Tony Chacher's seasoning on it. Everyone seems to love it, never any leftovers...

He usually does one in the butterball and one in the oven traditional.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Bought a butterball for the first time last year, driest turkey I’ve ever made.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#12]
^^^

Too long in the fryer homie.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:43:09 AM EDT
[#13]
So non frozen turkey might be a little hard to procure in Hawaii unless it’s a wild one.

I do not like the stringy wild turkey we have here.

I think frozen will have to work and thaw out over a couple of days in the fridge.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:06:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
^^^

Too long in the fryer homie.
View Quote
Wasn’t fried.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So non frozen turkey might be a little hard to procure in Hawaii unless it’s a wild one.

I think frozen will have to work and thaw out over a couple of days in the fridge.
View Quote
Yes thaw that sucker, DO NOT put a frozen turkey in a deep fryer!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:19:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Give it a week.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanksgiving is always lasagna.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I taught myself to fry and age 17 when I procured a fryer on a whim and have been doing it annually since.

Brining makes it the best. Use salt water and/or stock.

People who say rubs do nothing are correct.

At the most basic I inject at least 2 cups of Frank's Red Hot straight into the bird. Always comes out awesome this way.

I've gotten fancy in the past and made my own garlic butter and mixed that with the Frank's. It was pretty good.

The best I ever did was mixing the Frank's with Bacon grease. I need to do this one again.

Max weight you should fry in a standard frier is 15-17lbs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I was just thinking about that this morning, not sure what we are doing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Been frying them about 10yrs now.
Peanut oil is the best I'd say.
I get it on clearance after the holidays for $10 for the 4 gal jug.
Got 6 in the garage now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Smoked it in years past.

View Quote
I really like a brined turkey, smoked is good to though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#23]
We do ours in a crock pot
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#24]
We do Fried, Smoked and Roasted....usually 14-16 for dinner.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Turkey?  Just about the worst form of meat you can buy.   I'll take a prime rib or even a pork roast instead.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Done it every year that I’m not in some hot & shitty place.

I have a brine I use that I’ve just about mastered.

5 gallon paint bucket (new, food grade), stuff belly with  about 3 packs Rosemary, 3 packs thyme, 2 handfuls smashed garlic. Put the bird in the bucket, fill half way with water, then add more rosemary, thyme, garlic, black pepper, 3 sliced and squeezed whole lemons, cover with ice.

Set that bucket inside a cooler for 48 hours, adding ice as needed to keep cold.

When you are ready to cook, remove bird from ice bath, drain and let come up close to room temp, then lower into deep fryer.

Careful when lowering into fryer, the bird should not be cold and make sure to remove any ice cubes or chunks from the bird.

375-380 is about what you want to get the fryer up to once the bird is in, add oil as needed once the bird is in to cover the whole thing.

I’ll post again if there is anything g else I remember...they are tasty, good luck with what ever recipe you try.
View Quote
There is no salt or sugar in your "brine" ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Done it every year that I'm not in some hot & shitty place.

I have a brine I use that I've just about mastered.

I'll post again if there is anything g else I remember...they are tasty, good luck with what ever recipe you try.
View Quote
I thought a brine required salt to be a brine?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Just save yourself the hassle and boil it  
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#29]
We’ve done it a couple times but after experimenting with smoking, I’ll definitely be doing 2-3 small ones on my pit this year.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Perfect time for the Shatner Turkey Fryer PSA remix.
Eat, Fry, Love: A Cautionary Remix (REUPLOAD)
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#31]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Peanut oil.

Inject with a mix of butter and Dale's seasoning.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Peanut oil seems to be the consensus so far.

Also a butter based injection.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#35]
My dad throws his in a roaster in the morning, we go play our annual football game, and when we're done and showered, it's ready to come out

Juicy every single time

I've never been a fan of deep fried turkey because of his turkey
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Been doing it for 20 years.

Use peanut oil.  Turkey no heavier than 12 lbs.  I use Tony Chachery butter her injection and I use two per turkey.  I then put garlic salt, pepper and a little cayenne on the skin.

I heat the oil initially to 375 because it will really drop when you put the turkey in.  I fry it for 3 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes and I try to keep the temperature at around 350.

Couple of other tips: If your thermometer is one that hangs on the side-get rid of the clamp and drill a small hole through the lid so that you can see the temp without taking the lid off.  Second if you can find one I highly recommend getting the frying pot that has a spigot at the bottom-it makes draining the oil a 1000 times easier.  Third you don't have to get rid of the oil after one use-I typically use mine for 2-3 years as well as frying fish and chicken in between thanksgivings.  Fourth if it is your first time frying a turkey fill the frying pot about 3/4 of water then put in your turkey (do this outside lol) then take out your turkey and then lower the water level by another 3" and that is the level you want your oil to go up to (it won't look like enough but it is YOU DO NOT WANT THE OIL TO OVERFLOW).  Fifth put the turkey in head first and lower it in the oil slowly (if it is too hot that is what they make gloves for).

Anyways that is all I got.  Enjoy it.

Ever since I first did it 20 years ago we have never put a turkey in the oven again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I always lay cardboard down, about 6ftx6ft, to keep all the splatter off my damn concrete. Make sure you do your liquid volume displacement (fill your frying bucket with water until it covers the bird, mark that spot for the oil). Other than that, just make sure it's completely dry before you slowly put it in.

It is super easy.  The assholes that start fires either haven't dried the bird well enough, did not know about liquid volume displacement and so all the oil boils over the side and catches on the flame underneath, or they knock the fucking contraption over.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Been doing it for 20 years.

Use peanut oil.  Turkey no heavier than 12 lbs.  I use Tony Chachery butter her injection and I use two per turkey.  I then put garlic salt, pepper and a little cayenne on the skin.

I heat the oil initially to 375 because it will really drop when you put the turkey in.  I fry it for 3 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes and I try to keep the temperature at around 350.

Couple of other tips: If your thermometer is one that hangs on the side-get rid of the clamp and drill a small hole through the lid so that you can see the temp without taking the lid off.  Second if you can find one I highly recommend getting the frying pot that has a spigot at the bottom-it makes draining the oil a 1000 times easier.  Third you don't have to get rid of the oil after one use-I typically use mine for 2-3 years as well as frying fish and chicken in between thanksgivings.  Fourth if it is your first time frying a turkey fill the frying pot about 3/4 of water then put in your turkey (do this outside lol) then take out your turkey and then lower the water level by another 3" and that is the level you want your oil to go up to (it won't look like enough but it is YOU DO NOT WANT THE OIL TO OVERFLOW).  Fifth put the turkey in head first and lower it in the oil slowly (if it is too hot that is what they make gloves for).

Anyways that is all I got.  Enjoy it.

Ever since I first did it 20 years ago we have never put a turkey in the oven again.
View Quote
Thanks for the pointers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Did fried for many years until I stumbled on this:

https://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-fryer

No oil to buy or dispose of, just some drippings in the slide out pan. You can still brine, inject or rub.

Still makes the skin crispy and the meat is perfection.

I would not have believed how good they turn out until I cooked one myself.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Nak, Green and Thor all have good tips!! I personally use heavy frying soybean oil I get it from sam's club. It is cheaper and works just as well for 3 fries,  you will get more longevity from peanut oil.

Tony Chachere's jalapeno and creole butter is my go to  injection  I don't do a brine, I do thaw for 4 days and make sure your injection sits for a minimum of 24 hours I like 48 hours best for it to get throughout the bird 3min per pound +3 to 5 min is my norm frying time also. If not eating right away wrap in foil and put into a cooler to keep it hot and moist. The optimum bird size is 12-14 pounds  imho. Follow the guidelines provided by the hive and enjoy your best turkey evar!!!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#41]
I've used an electric fryer and been pretty happy with the result.  I normally inject with Tony's butter creole seasoning.

Unfortunately, my mom isn't a fan of fried Turkey, so I haven't done one in a few years.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#42]
3-Fried turkey is good because of the skin and the dark meat.  The bad is that the white meat is always dry unless you brine it and then you ruin the skin.  When done right has the best presentation.

2-Rotisserie turkey is the second best way to cook turkey and turns out all around good.  Great skin, moist, and nice presentation.

1-The best way to prepare turkey is to dissect it.  Dark meat sous vide for 24 hours in duck fat.  Makes turkey confit and it is amazing.  The breast is brined and smoked wrapped in bacon.  The skin is cooked in pieces in the air fryer until perfectly crisp.
Does not have the presentation of fried or rotisserie but the flavor can not be beat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Brined and smoked/grilled on the Traeger is how we do our turkeys now on both sides of the family.
Only time the turkey fryer comes out anymore is for the annual hot wing contest at the cabin, and for boiling sweet corn or big fish fries at the cabin.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I do!

Peanut oil. Rubbed with whatever you can come up with. Profit
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#45]
We've fried one every year for the past 6 years running. It's the best tasting option IMO
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#46]
It's that time of the year!
Where's the dingle dangle?

WILLIAM SHATNER = DEEP FRIED TURKEY REMIX "SONG" EXTENDED VERSION
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do you use peanut oil? What type of oil do you use?

What flavor profile do you use?

I'm thinking about doing the Cajun style deep fried.

Can anyone recommend a kit? Zatarains has a kit any use it?
View Quote
Yes I use peanut oil, it's worth the price once a year.

I use a generic brine kit from the grocery story, it has rosemary and salt and stuff.

I like cajun flavored food but I wouldn't pick it for Thanksgiving.  The brine kits you soak it overnight and if your oil is the right temp it'll be the juiciest turkey you've ever had.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#48]
I used to buy deep fry shortening from Costco, but no longer fry turkeys.  I either smoke them or do them my traditional method in an electric roaster.

The roaster is best because.......stuffing!!!!  You can also do a bigger bird in the roaster or smoker.

Last time I smoked, I quartered up the bird for more smoke penetration.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Smoked it in years past.

View Quote
Whenever you can brine, you should brine.  I thaw my bird in brine, in a sanitized Coleman cooler.  That way I can keep the temp stable by adding ice as the bird thaws, and then keep it at safe temp until cook time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top