Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2023 5:38:06 AM EDT
Like a moron I decided to do interval sprints the day after I did heavy deadlifts. On the last sprint, I pulled it. No bruising, not near either end of the bone attachments. So it’s a minor, type 1 tear from everything I’ve read.

It’s been 48 hrs. Yesterday was an upper body day and today is a rest day. I’ve been icing and heating it.

Part of me blames the creatine, but I know I didn’t warm up and stretch properly.

What’s the best way to get back in the game quickly? I’ve been consistently making gains for 4 months and I really don’t want to lose momentum. I’m frustrated.

Late 40’s, 6’, 215 if it matters.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The same way you healed when younger, but it will take longer.

Rest, food, mobility.

If you are hurt, work through it. If you are injured, fix it before continuing.

You need to figure recovery time for injuries into your planning, you will have down time, and it will be more frequent as you get older.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I went through a two year period where I kept pulling hamstrings. Deadlifts, squats, plyos, kicks.

You've go to rest it and reduce inflammation for now. Do not stretch it while you still have pain.

Then you have to try and figure out the root cause. For me, I believe it's tight hamstrings and glutes resulting from muscle imbalances. I had my ACL replaced almost 20 years ago with a tendon from my right hamstring. That muscle is much smaller than my left and throws of everything lower body wise. For instance, I really sway and favor one side when squatting.

Now mobility every day helps. I would strengthen and build muscle (volume) in the hamstrings and glutes. Make those accessories a priority. Stretch. Flexibility is important too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Bear walks, good mornings, Lots of stretching.

My coach snatched me up in a cradle a few months ago and I tried to spaz out and pulled a hamstring. The above is how I got back on the mat in less than a week.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billth777:
Bear walks, good mornings, Lots of stretching.

My coach snatched me up in a cradle a few months ago and I tried to spaz out and pulled a hamstring. The above is how I got back on the mat in less than a week.
View Quote

These really helped. Thanks.

Compression sleeve and a Theragun also seemed to really work.

Two weeks and I’m almost back to normal. Not rushing it though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely get some BPC-157.  Stuff is amazing for healing.  If you're really serious also go for TB-500, but be warned the TB-500 will run a lot more.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gator:
Definitely get some BPC-157.  Stuff is amazing for healing.  If you're really serious also go for TB-500, but be warned the TB-500 will run a lot more.
View Quote

@Gator

Links to reputable sources for each? Amazon has a few. Do these have to be injected?
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Do not do good mornings til you know it’s healed.  I’ve used compression sleeves with good results.  Start light and build back up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:44:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gator] [#8]
@goloud

My info might be a little dated now.  Oral bioavailability IIRC is only about 50%, if correct with pills you'll want to pop twice as much.

ETA: I just remembered this site, good info on it:
https://bengreenfieldlife.com/article/supplements-articles/how-to-use-bpc-157/
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By goloud:

These really helped. Thanks.

Compression sleeve and a Theragun also seemed to really work.

Two weeks and I’m almost back to normal. Not rushing it though.
View Quote

I'm tagging this for the just in case situation.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dupemaster] [#10]
Stop icing, move as much as pain allows, sleep good don’t push it and before you know it you’ll be back to normal.

Make sure to eat well and try not to drink alcohol much if any at all.

Do some non weighted RDLs and squats if it doesn’t hurt.

Walk a lot.

Don’t lay around.

ETA:

Shit, I didn’t realize how old this thread is and that I had wandered out of GD!
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dupemaster:
Stop icing, move as much as pain allows, sleep good don’t push it and before you know it you’ll be back to normal.

Make sure to eat well and try not to drink alcohol much if any at all.

Do some non weighted RDLs and squats if it doesn’t hurt.

Walk a lot.

Don’t lay around.

ETA:

Shit, I didn’t realize how old this thread is and that I had wandered out of GD!
View Quote

Ha. I basically did all that and finally healed. Took longer than expected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top