Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2024 8:50:00 PM EDT
Hopefully they were wearing brown pants sheesh!

Texas tornado: Driver caught in storm in Valley View, Texas

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
i don't worry much about tornados - but i'd rather have one come at me during the day than the night.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
thought this was texashomeserver.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
A few years ago I was driving down I-75 when a storm came up and it started hailing............I went under an overpass and stopped, and there was a man and woman who had been riding a motorcycle standing beside their bikes. All of a sudden, the wind came out of nowhere and they laid their bike down and came to the truck I was in and got in......within no time the truck started shaking and it sounded like a jet flew over really low. Debris flew everywhere and it wasn't long till it was over, but it was not something I would want to do again
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I would of turned around and gone the other direction.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARDunstan] [#6]
"What do I do??? What do I do???"

Uh.. maybe not DRIVE IN TO A FUCKING TORNADO???
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Scary if you're there, but not that bad, windows all intact and i didnt see one cow fly past.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cyclone:
A few years ago I was driving down I-75 when a storm came up and it started hailing............I went under an overpass and stopped, and there was a man and woman who had been riding a motorcycle standing beside their bikes. All of a sudden, the wind came out of nowhere and they laid their bike down and came to the truck I was in and got in......within no time the truck started shaking and it sounded like a jet flew over really low. Debris flew everywhere and it wasn't long till it was over, but it was not something I would want to do again
View Quote
user name?

checks out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By broncobisley1:
View Quote
That might have been the prudent choice. That might also have put them deeper into the shit. Where was the tornado coming from?

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, I have that song stuck in my head now.

Tracy Lawrence - Texas Tornado (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have much love for folks driving at night when there's the obvious possibility of tornadoes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:53:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LostX] [#12]
View Quote

Username definitely appropriate.  

I think your supposed to climb up as high as you can into the overpass and try to get between the concrete spans.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
That might have been the prudent choice. That might also have put them deeper into the shit. Where was the tornado coming from?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Possibly, seemed like wind was increasing as they moved forward.  I wouldn't have waited for the wind to get worse.

I did turn around once west of Amarillo and later was glad I did, but I had the benefit of it not being completely dark and I could tell going forward more was a bad idea, with increasing wind and small hail.  I drove over an hour back from where I had just come from to miss the worst of the storm.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:
I don't have much love for folks driving at night when there's the obvious possibility of tornadoes.
View Quote

If you didn't drive or do anything in North texas/southern Oklahoma when there was a chance of tornadoes you wouldn't leave the house for weeks in the spring.  You just live life, and sometimes you end up in the middle of one. Been in that exact situation before, truck was sliding backwards despite giving it gas.  Truck stayed upright,  went on on home.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LostX:

I think your supposed to climb up as high as you can into the overpass and try to get between the concrete spans.
View All Quotes

You're really not supposed to use overpasses as tornado shelters at all. They create a venturi and increase the wind speed under the span.

The people in that famous video were fortunate in that the tornado missed them (though it was very close), and in the fact that that particular bridge was built with steel girders that they could get up into. Concrete bridges tend to not have that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:20:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cyclone] [#16]

View All Quotes

Unfortunately there was little time to do it........things went south really quick and it was over with pretty quick. We were pretty lucky.
I mainly stopped there to get out of the hail, but  we got a near miss.......and that's the 4th one I have experienced in my life
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh my gau! We're in it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FishBikeShoot:

If you didn't drive or do anything in North texas/southern Oklahoma when there was a chance of tornadoes you wouldn't leave the house for weeks in the spring.  You just live life, and sometimes you end up in the middle of one. Been in that exact situation before, truck was sliding backwards despite giving it gas.  Truck stayed upright,  went on on home.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Threesomes can start out in the strangest ways. Don't want to read about yours, though. (Supposed to be two chicks.)
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fulminate:
i don't worry much about tornados - but i'd rather have one come at me during the day than the night.
View Quote

Teen who drove through Texas tornado given new truck by Fort Worth Chevrolet dealership
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Too dark to see a cow flying around mooing?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Clearly some of the smartest people from Valley View out for an evening ride on a rainy night.

How completely stupid.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By F4Squid:
Scary if you're there, but not that bad, windows all intact and i didnt see one cow fly past.
View Quote

Yeah this...not enough to get under the vehicle and lift it into the air or even flip it over...not big enough debris to break windows...luckily they weren't in a forest.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#24]
She just happened to have her cell camera running at that moment.  Uh huh.  No idea how that happened  uh huh
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:

View Quote

Well, it's tough to see at night, so it's pretty shitty to call them out for something they couldn't see.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#26]
That was just downdraft and microbursts.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Judging from the wind direction it came from their right rear quarter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:

View Quote

Looked like it came from behind her and really - you would have no fucking clue which way to turn or go at night in something like that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#29]
lucky to be alive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#30]
usually local radio is simulcasting the local tv weather guy when this happens..if you have an idea of how everything is laid out around you and you are getting live updates to the location/direction/speed of the tornadic storm then you should be able to dodge it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#31]
10 seconds in i turned it off. stupid motherfucker shooting vertical video deserves whatever he got.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#32]
You're really not supposed to use overpasses as tornado shelters at all. They create a venturi and increase the wind speed under the span.

The people in that famous video were fortunate in that the tornado missed them (though it was very close), and in the fact that that particular bridge was built with steel girders that they could get up into. Concrete bridges tend to not have that.
View All Quotes

A friend and I rode one out under an overpass just outside Orange, TX on I-10 in the early 80's. There was literally nowhere else to find any shelter. We didn't know any better either. I watched my car bouncing around, saw highway signs blowing by fast enough to cut a man in half, and watched an 18 wheeler tip over all in about 5 seconds then it was over.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I've heard lay down in a ditch is a better action than going under an overpass?
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#34]
That was underwhelming.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Must have been a baby... a real one would do a lot more than shake the car around.

Glad they made it though.  Even a little one can shoot a 2-by through your head.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#36]
They were on the southbound I35 service road, across the highway from the Shell gas station that got torn up.

So the direction the tornado cam from, would have behind, from the right, then it would haved moved off to the left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top