Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2023 3:24:45 PM EDT
Some of the highlights.

HB 3 requires an armed officer at every school campus in Texas and mental health training for school staff that interact with children.

SB15 prohibits transgender athletes from competing on college teams that match their gender identity. The law extends an existing restriction on K-12 athletes that requires students to play on a team that matches their sex assigned at birth.

SB29 bans the state from enacting mask mandates, vaccine mandates or business and school closures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

SB602 gives Border Patrol agents the power of a police officer to arrest and conduct search and seizure for offenses under Texas or federal law. The law makes clear this applies to areas outside their designated working locations, such as ports of entry. 

SB12 makes it illegal for someone to hold a sexually oriented performance in front of a minor. A person who violates the law could face a civil penalty of up to $10,000 for each violation. The first version of the bill was designed to keep minors from attending drag shows, but the last version of the bill removed references to gender and drag performers.

SB14 bans procedures and treatments for gender transitioning, gender reassignment, or gender dysphoria for children. Public money and public assistance are also prohibited from being used to provide those treatments. Children, in this case, include individuals under 18 years old. This means Texas has joined at least 18 other states with similar laws.

HB3137 prevents any local government entity from requiring firearm owners to license their weapons. It also bans entities from imposing liability insurance on firearm owners.

SB728 requires courts to report “mental health and intellectual disability information with respect to certain children for purposes of a federal firearm background check.

HB25 allows Texas to import prescription drugs from Canada through a Wholesale Prescription Drug Importation Program.

SB490 requires healthcare providers and hospitals to give patients an itemized bill of services and supplies during the patient’s visit. A healthcare provider cannot pursue debt collection against a patient unless the provider has provided the itemized bill. 

More at links.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/08/29/new-texas-laws-that-take-effect-on-sept-1-2023/

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/08/31/new-texas-laws-september-2023/
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
SB728 is going to rustle some Jimmy's
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like some common sense laws
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Should pass a law making it illegal to give aid and comfort (financial or otherwise) to any illegal alien.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if I like the border patrol being able to enforce Texas laws thing but very well done for the rest of them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad they didn't pass the bill that would prohibit the option of arresting someone for a traffic violation. I think there are something like 20k arrests a year for traffic violations
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too bad they didn't pass the bill that would prohibit the option of arresting someone for a traffic violation. I think there are something like 20k arrests a year for traffic violations
View Quote
What type of traffic violations? Reckless driving or doing 87 in a 25 or are we talking about stupid shit like running out of headlight fluid?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Should pass a law making it illegal to give aid and comfort (financial or otherwise) to any illegal alien.
View Quote

Illegal Latina titties are very comfy!
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks OP, good info.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like some common sense laws
View Quote

Unfortunately common sense isn't to common anymore.

The required armed officer is being challenged that it is unfunded by the state.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I like this. It will absolutely terrorize liberals and cause them to consider relocating to a more agreeable state. It is a start.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
God Bless Texas!
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Impressive
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What type of traffic violations? Reckless driving or doing 87 in a 25 or are we talking about stupid shit like running out of headlight fluid?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speeding is one of two laws in Texas that you can not be arrested for, the other is open container (unless this has changed). Reckless driving was a step up in penalty grade from traffic violations and requires justifiable PC for the arrest.

A lot of guys will arrest for no DL/insurance because of the illegals and the fact that departments have been successfully sued for releasing a known unlicensed and uninsured driver who went down the road and caused an accident
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
That's what the Tennessee special legislation session should have put out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Wake me when they repeal 46.035. It's crazy - Brady Level Crazy - there are still restrictions that apply to a LTC carrying a handgun that don't apply to a random person with an Steyr AUG or Keltec SUB2000 in a backpack.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Good.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Speeding is one of two laws in Texas that you can not be arrested for, the other is open container (unless this has changed). Reckless driving was a step up in penalty grade from traffic violations and requires justifiable PC for the arrest.

A lot of guys will arrest for no DL/insurance because of the illegals and the fact that departments have been successfully sued for releasing a known unlicensed and uninsured driver who went down the road and caused an accident
View Quote
Are you sure about that?

3/15/2023 477317 DIAZ, CRYSTAL ANN 12516 FALLS CT WILLIS TX 77318 MCSO 12516 FALLS CT CC47816 JP2 SPEEDING (>/= 10% ABOVE POSTED LIMIT)

https://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/montgomery-county-jail-bookings-for-march-15-2023/
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pretty sure any Class C misdemeanor is arrestable in TX and all the minor traffic infractions are Class C. There was a video here not too long ago of a kid getting arrested for turning too far from the curb
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's what the Tennessee special legislation session should have put out.
View Quote

That would’ve been epic.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure any Class C misdemeanor is arrestable in TX and all the minor traffic infractions are Class C. There was a video here not too long ago of a kid getting arrested for turning too far from the curb
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just went and verified in the traffic code, there's now three that are summons only, speeding, open container, and texting while driving. The caveat being if they refuse to sign the citation. Anything else in the traffic code is fair game for arrest
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just went and verified in the traffic code, there's now three that are summons only, speeding, open container, and texting while driving. The caveat being if they refuse to sign the citation. Anything else in the traffic code is fair game for arrest
View Quote

Even jay walking can get you arrested if the officer is having a bad day
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you imagine setting on the Group W bench for Jay Walking?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Another one -

Redefining fentanyl deaths: House Bill 6 classifies overdoses from fentanyl as “poisonings,” which means any Texan who provides someone with a fatal overdose of the opioid could face a murder charge. The measure is part of a series of new laws aimed at the opioid crisis in the state, many of which seek to get tough on people who are selling or illegally importing fentanyl.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like this. It will absolutely terrorize liberals and cause them to consider relocating to a more agreeable state. It is a start.
View Quote

I'm convinced this is the entire goal of the recent laws in Florida and Texas, to stop them from turning purple.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct, the three I mentioned are specifically spelled out as citation only in the traffic code however
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm convinced this is the entire goal of the recent laws in Florida and Texas, to stop them from turning purple.
View Quote

It’s going to happen sooner than we all think I’m afraid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#29]
edit: Nvm
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  Wake me when they repeal 46.035. It's crazy - Brady Level Crazy - there are still restrictions that apply to a LTC carrying a handgun that don't apply to a random person with an Steyr AUG or Keltec SUB2000 in a backpack.
View Quote

This is why I've been carrying a SUB-2000 in a backpack for longer than I've held an LTC.  

And it shares some mags w/ my Gen 5 Glock 26 when Glock gets around returning it to me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#31]
God Bless Texas!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't know if I like the border patrol being able to enforce Texas laws thing but very well done for the rest of them.
View Quote

I'm thinking it might have something to do with Uvalde? Take action on something like this regardless of jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
SB728 is going to rustle some Jimmy's
View Quote

Why?
Teens with mental issues had records that were not being processed into the system when they went to get a firearm as an adult.
Things like being found innocent by insanity, deemed mentally incompetent by the court, and other mental issues were not being reported due to being a juvenile at the time, so as an adult they had a "clean" mental health record.
I don't see a problem with that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top