BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/27/2021 9:10:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
...mistaking Jean's apartment for her own was reasonable and, therefore, so too was the shooting
View Quote

NOPE.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Naw it’s not reasonable. I cant remember how many times I stumbled home to my apartment when I was young.
Never made the mistake of the wrong door no matter how tired or fucked up I was.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Had I done the same thing as she did and she was the officer that showed up to investigate she would have arrested me right then and there.  She fucked up and deserved jail time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
she's not much detail oriented
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I just don't see it, if the apartments were identical in layout and furnishings.
If they made her work so much OT that she was out of her head she needs to be suing for PTSD.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
She fucked this one up bad.  10 years and likely less for it seems like a reasonable sentence.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Naw it’s not reasonable. I cant remember how many times I stumbled home to my apartment when I was young.
Never made the mistake of the wrong door no matter how tired or fucked up I was.

View Quote

I watched a girl do it. She was so drunk she could barely walk.

Judging by how long she was inside, I assumed she sat down somewhere, then heard the resident ask who was there. She went running down the sidewalk and the guy came outside covered in soap wearing a towel.

Luckily it was just a funny observation and nothing happened
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]
pretty sure this cop shooting really was a murder
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Had I done the same thing as she did and she was the officer that showed up to investigate she would have arrested me right then and there.  She fucked up and deserved jail time.
View Quote

I bet there might have been a breathalyzer or blood draw involved too.

I’ve been fucked up beyond belief and still always made it to the right room (walking as a young soldier because fuck drunk drivers).

Believing that she was so shit faced that she didn’t know what floor she was on and yet no officer on scene could tell she was blitzed is a little hard to believe.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Cops can't fathom not getting special deference from the system.
The amount of cognitive dissonance needed to be able to claim self-defense while burglarizing some else's home is impressive.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#12]
the contention that her mistaking Jean's apartment for her own was reasonable and, therefore, so too was the shooting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Her purported mistake has already been impliedly considered and rejected by the jury. The Dallas Court of Appeals won't touch this verdict unless they want to get overturned by the Court of Criminal Appeals.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
She fucked this one up bad.  10 years and likely less for it seems like a reasonable sentence.
View Quote

After the jury found her guilty, they took it easy on her in sentencing her.  Not the first time that has happened.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Her purported mistake has already been impliedly considered and rejected by the jury. The Dallas Court of Appeals won't touch this verdict unless they want to get overturned by the Court of Criminal Appeals.
View Quote
Not to mention it was a white that killed a black.

She aint getting shit in todays environment
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#16]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I mean she killed a guy in his own castle who wasn't doing anything because she was fucked up and thought it was her castle.  And IMO tried to get special treatment and really get away with it because she was law enforcement.  If it was me who blundered so horrendously there is no way I would go through the shame of an appeal for that.  She deserves worse than what she got.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She doesn't deserve it, she should be in jail for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Taken to it’s logical conclusion: any cop can shoot anyone in that person’s house as long as they could “reasonably” mistake it for their own.

It was nice knowing you suburbia.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#21]
She fucked up big time and deserves punishment.

I don’t know if it murder by Texas standards or criminally negligent homicide.

The latter sounds more applicable.

Any Texas lawyers that can comment?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I know her lawyer probably has to appeal but it doesn't seem like they're presenting something new or saying the jury or prosecution did a legally wrong thing. It just seems to be "well, we don't like what the jury decided".
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there an environment where she should get shit?

She walked into a mans home and shot him to death.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

She THOUGHT it was her home.  Haven't you ever made a simple mistake.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She could have gotten it lowered from murder to manslaughter.

She aint getting shit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Remember those two teens in DC are already out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
She fucked up big time and deserves punishment.

I don’t know if it murder by Texas standards or criminally negligent homicide.

The latter sounds more applicable.

Any Texas lawyers that can comment?
View Quote

Using my state laws criminally negligent homicide fits more than a murder.  Granted its REALLY CRIMINALLY NEGLIGENT in her case.

I don’t remember all the details but didn’t she stop off at a bar between work and home,...well.... his home I guess.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The amount of cognitive dissonance needed to be able to claim self-defense while burglarizing some else's home is impressive.
View Quote

User Name...
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#29]
her mistaking Jean's apartment for her own was reasonable and, therefore, so too was the shooting.
View Quote

That's absurd. Talk about kicking open Pandora's box....

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Naw it's not reasonable. I cant remember how many times I stumbled home to my apartment when I was young.

View Quote

I did it once at one of my college apartments back in the 70's.  It was immediately obvious that it wasn't my apartment so I closed the door and got the fork outta there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Taken to it’s logical conclusion: any cop can shoot anyone in that person’s house as long as they could “reasonably” mistake it for their own.

It was nice knowing you suburbia.
View Quote

Thankfully in TX it didn't work out that way.

Sure, if the apartments are all the same and she was really drunk, I can't even give a pass for that even drunk I'd recognize all the furnishings were different.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just don't see it, if the apartments were identical in layout and furnishings.
If they made her work so much OT that she was out of her head she needs to be suing for PTSD.
View Quote

It's common for the layout in apartment buildings to be identical from floor to floor. That's why some places intentionally paint different floors different colors and do other things to make them non-identical. But it was pointed out in the trial that the furnishings were different between the floors. So, I think that the verdict was too high but the time in prison is just about right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Mistakenly walking into the wrong apartment is not an unexpected occurrence in an apartment or dormitory complex.

That should probably factor into someone's thinking before they decide to shoot someone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I feel a little bad for her. I mean, I really don't think she wanted to kill that man and honestly made a mistake. The thing is, a lot of honest mistakes result in crimes. She had her day in court and was found guilty. It's the way the system works.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#35]
She'll lose. And she should.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did once in about 1975. I was totally blotto at the time.

The old woman that saw me, knew EXACTLY what happened. She was the widow of a First Sergeant. She put me on her couch, threw me a pillow and a blanket and went back to bed laughing.

She was probably the most sarcastic woman I ever met. In the morning she saw me crawling off the couch and said dryly "I love having a man around the house."

She turned out out to be a pretty good friend for the time I lived in the apartment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Could this be a move to fire up the riot machine in Dallas?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

She aint getting shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She aint getting shit.

Not sure this one even fits into the manslaughter statue in Texas. She doesn't appear to have done anything "reckless" in this case.

She thought about what she was doing, and she executed her actions perfectly. She just thought wrong in this case.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, this is lawyers doing what lawyers do.  Pretty standard for most murder cases - throw shit at a wall and hope something sticks.  I doubt it's gonna change anything for her.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Apartments can look alike. That's why they put numbers on them - so you can tell which one is yours. And they have keys, so your key opens your door (I realize his door was open). And individuals live in those apartments, so theoretically the items in your apartment should be items you recognize - such as YOUR couch or YOUR chair, etc. Murder, Manslaughter, Negligent Homicide...she should be able to get out the same time he can get out of the casket.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#41]
She opened her pie hole and it got her murder.

Too bad she wasn't smart enough to find her own apartment.  That signals to me she damn sure wasn't smart enough to be a cop.  And a man was killed along the way.  

Its sucks but the jury spoke.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#42]
This is from some Texas Lawyer's website:

BURGLARY - "Burglary", as per  30.02 of the Texas Penal Code, occurs when a person, without the effective consent of the owner:enters a building or habitation and commits or attempts to commit a felony, theft, or an assault.
View Quote

CAPITAL MURDER - Capital Murder is defined by Chapter 19, section 19.03 of the Texas Penal Code. Capital murders occurs when a murder is committed, according to the definition of murder under Chapter 19, section 19.02(b)(1), with one of the following additional criteria:
The person intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat.
View Quote
So did the prosecution argue she entered without consent and committed a felony/assault, hence burglary, and killed the victim during the burglary, hence murder?  Seems a little circular.

The same website said the criminally negligent homicide charge has a max 2 year sentence.

It seems if they can argue successfully for criminally negligent homicide she can get 8 years off her sentence.

Seems worth a try, legally anyway.  BTW This is not a comment on how much time she deserves, just on the law.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Remember those two teens in DC are already out.
View Quote
Perhaps for the duration of the trial/plea process, but they are up against serious charges.  They have been offered a plea of armed 2nd degree murder, and if they don't take that, they will be tried for the higher count of felony murder.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

My roommate lost his keys.  A few days later the neighbors next door to us asked us if we knew whose keys these were... and they were my roommate's missing set.  We asked them where they found them, and they said "In our front door".  
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My roommate lost his keys.  A few days later the neighbors next door to us asked us if we knew whose keys these were... and they were my roommate's missing set.  We asked them where they found them, and they said "In our front door".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Naw it's not reasonable. I cant remember how many times I stumbled home to my apartment when I was young.

Different people handle drunks differently.  I have been sick plastered drunk, drinking way too much Bacardi 151 out of a bottle.  Ended up puking everywhere.  Never lost cognitive control.  (not the only time I been that drunk) but none the less could pick the right hotel to go back to and even the room.  

Some people don't function that way, regardless of the circumstance, drunk or not, when you kill a man in HIS HOME for doing nothing, YOU SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR CRIME.  PERIOD.  She is paying as it should be.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So did the prosecution argue she entered without consent and committed a felony/assault, hence burglary, and killed the victim during the burglary, hence murder?  Seems a little circular.

The same website said the criminally negligent homicide charge has a max 2 year sentence.

It seems if they can argue successfully for criminally negligent homicide she can get 8 years off her sentence.

Seems worth a try, legally anyway.  BTW This is not a comment on how much time she deserves, just on the law.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

BURGLARY - "Burglary", as per  30.02 of the Texas Penal Code, occurs when a person, without the effective consent of the owner:enters a building or habitation and commits or attempts to commit a felony, theft, or an assault.

CAPITAL MURDER - Capital Murder is defined by Chapter 19, section 19.03 of the Texas Penal Code. Capital murders occurs when a murder is committed, according to the definition of murder under Chapter 19, section 19.02(b)(1), with one of the following additional criteria:
The person intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat.

She was charged and convicted under the state's general murder statute, not the more narrow capital murder statute.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#47]
The official test result came back that Amber wasn't drunk... but I still don't believe 'em.  

Going in the wrong apartment/house is a classic issue with drunks.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Automatically guilty on account of being a dirty inky alone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

She would have been better off never taking the stand.
View Quote
FACT!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top