Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Big difference. One created a way for actual products built or made by other people to be sold easily and to a much larger market. The other can't even make enough product to sell in the first place while burning thru billions in labor, design, and manufacturing.
View Quote
"The other guy" in this case built a way for people to send $150 billion a year to people online (Paypal).

You're also forgetting the guy that has reduced space access costs by amounts believed to be physically impossible.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Exactly who said Bezos wouldn't make money? Comparing Amazon to Tesla is beyond apples and oranges. Amazon didn't show a 'profit' because they put everything into growing the business. They could have recorded a quarterly profit anytime they wanted, but that would have hurt growth. Tesla is burning cash it doesn't have, lies to investors, and plays number games on par with Enron.  Add in chronic mismanagement and it's clear they're toast.
View Quote
From my understanding, for more than a few years Amazon was cash negative even when you add back in capital expenditures. Sure, not since 06-now , but early on they were very unprofitable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
From my understanding, for more than a few years Amazon was cash negative even when you add back in capital expenditures. Sure, not since 06-now , but early on they were very unprofitable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly who said Bezos wouldn't make money? Comparing Amazon to Tesla is beyond apples and oranges. Amazon didn't show a 'profit' because they put everything into growing the business. They could have recorded a quarterly profit anytime they wanted, but that would have hurt growth. Tesla is burning cash it doesn't have, lies to investors, and plays number games on par with Enron.  Add in chronic mismanagement and it's clear they're toast.
AWS makes it murky as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Early days, sure. Almost all companies burn cash at startup. Tesla is 14 years old now, should be past that. They're only 6 years younger than Amazon's IPO.

It's also a fallacy that since Musk was successful at some things he'll be successful at everything.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I read a bunch of Glassdoor info tonight.  I suspect it's mostly cheerleaders and the dissatisfied with not much middle ground but you get the idea.  Some things not surprising for a Silicon Valley company, lots of cons about work-life balance and employee turnover.  Almost everyone said the Tesla mission of helping the world is a plus.  Reported salaries are much lower than I expected, essentially the same as the best companies in my Midwest but with much higher living costs in the Bay Area.  Several said they were disappointed Tesla wasn't union.  That's a pro for me, suppose it's a con in Kali.  Many said management is out for themselves, which can probably be said at any company.  Many comments about management being from retail instead of automaker, I can see that explaining a lot of things.  No surprises, basically confirmed all my opinions of Tesla.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I read a bunch of Glassdoor info tonight.  I suspect it's mostly cheerleaders and the dissatisfied with not much middle ground but you get the idea.  Some things not surprising for a Silicon Valley company, lots of cons about work-life balance and employee turnover.  Almost everyone said the Tesla mission of helping the world is a plus.  Reported salaries are much lower than I expected, essentially the same as the best companies in my Midwest but with much higher living costs in the Bay Area.  Several said they were disappointed Tesla wasn't union.  That's a pro for me, suppose it's a con in Kali.  Many said management is out for themselves, which can probably be said at any company.  Many comments about management being from retail instead of automaker, I can see that explaining a lot of things.  No surprises, basically confirmed all my opinions of Tesla.
View Quote
I worked for them briefly, they are a hot mess with horrible management.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, are you guys who are actively saying that Tesla will be bankrupt soon shorting?

I'm continuing to hold , no intention of selling especially with the dozens of photos I'm seeing of cars come off the line/delivery centers being full.
View Quote
I think Tesla is headed for inevitable bankruptcy, but I would never attempt to predict a time period even as vague as "soon."  I've never shorted a stock in my life and probably never will; I'm a boring long-term investor who mostly dollar-cost-averages into dividend index funds.  For Tesla, I think the fundamentals are so out of whack against the stock price that I've bought January 2019 $50 puts as a bet on them going bankrupt in 2018.  During 2018 I plan to start purchasing January 2020 $50 puts to push my bet out into the future.

I've seen the photos of the M3s, and the videos of the delivery center parking lot full of M3s ready for delivery.  I just don't think it matters.  Tesla has never sold an X or S for a net profit, how are they supposed to sell a lower margin car for 1/3 the price and ever make a net profit?  I think they might make a net profit on fully optioned M3s sold at $49k - $54k, but the demand for that is going to be low.  There's demand for $35k M3s, but that's going to be a huge money loser for Tesla.

If anything, parking lots full of M3s ready for delivery should terrify longs: most, or maybe all, of those cars are net losses for Tesla.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not sure anyone is saying that Tesla is going to be bankrupt soon.

What I see many people saying is that their cash burn rate, lack of profitability, and consistent production problems cast doubt on their long-term viability.

It's eminently possible Tesla will one day be a successful and profitable car company - but it also seems very possible that they will never be profitable, and may end up being sold off to a larger car maker some day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, are you guys who are actively saying that Tesla will be bankrupt soon shorting?
I'm not sure anyone is saying that Tesla is going to be bankrupt soon.

What I see many people saying is that their cash burn rate, lack of profitability, and consistent production problems cast doubt on their long-term viability.

It's eminently possible Tesla will one day be a successful and profitable car company - but it also seems very possible that they will never be profitable, and may end up being sold off to a larger car maker some day.
Musk may pull off some sort of shell game that provides Tesla with enough cash for another 3-6 months.  He could sell part of Tesla to SpaceX, for example.

The auto industry is due for another high profile startup failure.  In the 1940s it was Tucker, 1980s it was Delorian, now it's Tesla turn.  
The cars may survive.  It's possible that the debt could be discharged by bankruptcy, and someone that knows how to make cars (e.g Toyota, Ford) could buy Tesla' car business at a bargain price.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Tesla is prohibiting commercial drivers from using its Supercharger stations

If you plan to buy a Tesla for your job, you won’t be able to use the company’s Supercharger stations anymore. The company recently released a new policy called Supercharger Fair Use, which prohibits new commercial drivers from using the red-and-white charging ports.

Tesla has been working to expand its network of charging stations, announcing in April that it hoped to have more than 10,000 Supercharger stations by the end of 2017. The expansion is needed to alleviate heavy traffic at the stations, which have become a congestion point for drivers. Last year, the company announced fees for charging, and said that it will begin charging drivers an additional fee if they leave their cars at the stations after they’ve finished charging.

Tesla says that the stations are intended for drivers who don’t have ready options for charging at home or at work, and that when they’re not used for this purpose, “it negatively impacts the availability of Supercharging services for others.” Thus, the new policy says that for vehicles purchased after December 15th, drivers who plan to use their vehicles as a taxi, for ridesharing, commercial delivery or transportation, governmental purposes, or other commercial ventures won’t be permitted to use the free stations.
View Quote
Looks like their massive money pit of superchargers still isn't sufficient.  Who knew that the electric infrastructure wasn't ready?  I wonder if Tesla's semis will be considered commercial use?  Here's a quote from Slashdot that sums it up even better.
If there's anyone who needs fast-charging stations I'd expect it to be the commercial drivers. A typical commuter can easily recharge at home or work after they parked. But a commercial driver can have 8+ hours of sustained use during the day. Unless they can swap cars part way they're going to have to re-charge during the work day. And the time spent re-charging is directly counted in their pay.

If commercial drivers are swamping the fast-charging stations it's because they desperately need them for their Teslas to be a viable option.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Some guy flew a drone over the Fremont plant to see exactly what was going on there.  
Looks like Tesla has mostly S and X models, plus a few hundred Model 3s, they are trying to ship out by the end of the year.  
Tesla Factory Flyover - Fremont - 12/20/2017
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The usual end-of-the-quarter drill for Elon Musk: Push a few cars out the door, and declare that the things will get better next quarter.

Now Tesla says they are finally delivering Model 3s to non-customers.  
<a>http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Tesla-starts-Model-3-deliveries-to-non-employees-12451336.php</a><a href="http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Tesla-starts-Model-3-deliveries-to-non-employees-12451336.php"></a>

Pepperidge Farm remembers six months ago...
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Analysts are slashing their 4th quarter estimates for Tesla sales.

"The year may not be wrapping up as hoped for Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk."
http://fortune.com/2017/12/27/tesla-model-3-q4-prediction

<a>http://fortune.com/2017/12/27/tesla-model-3-q4-prediction/</a>
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
The facility they're using used to be a huge union shop.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-makes-major-progress-addressing-model-3-issues-bu-1821751604

Tesla said on Wednesday that it made “major progress” addressing bottlenecks in the Model 3 production line and told investors it made roughly 2,500 of the all-electric cars in the last quarter of 2017. But the automaker again pushed back a production target of 5,000 units per week deeper into 2018.
View Quote
2,500 units in the 4th quarter, not good news but not world ending bad news either.  They are now about 5 months behind their original schedule.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-makes-major-progress-addressing-model-3-issues-bu-1821751604

2,500 units in the 4th quarter, not good news but not world ending bad news either.  They are now about 5 months behind their original schedule.
View Quote
The company said it delivered 1,550 Model 3s, up from about 220 in the previous quarter.  

You know, when I was in the third grade, I designed some cool cars.  I didn't have a clue how to build them either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tesla said on Wednesday that it made “major progress” addressing bottlenecks in the Model 3 production line and told investors it made roughly 2,500 of the all-electric cars in the last quarter of 2017. But the automaker again pushed back a production target of 5,000 units per week deeper into 2018.
Musk's comments from a 2016 conference call:

From Conference call: Tesla CEO says the company is learning from Model X, with a focus on “more simplicity on the Model 3.”  Future Model S elements are only approved if they are also easy to manufacture, and the failure/manufacturing risk is low.

Tesla is also telling suppliers they have to be ready to go by July 1st, 2017 – Musk stresses this is not start of production (or an “impossible date” to start production), but rather an on hand date for all components/parts needed to start the build – in relation to those parts needed, Model 3 design is almost complete.   Musk states that Tesla goal is to build at least 100,000 Model 3s before end of 2017.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Complete list of over-promised/under-delivered Tesla failures from 2011 to June 2017:

Tesla Failed Goals
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Musk's comments from a 2016 conference call:

From Conference call: Tesla CEO says the company is learning from Model X, with a focus on “more simplicity on the Model 3.”  Future Model S elements are only approved if they are also easy to manufacture, and the failure/manufacturing risk is low.

Tesla is also telling suppliers they have to be ready to go by July 1st, 2017 – Musk stresses this is not start of production (or an “impossible date” to start production), but rather an on hand date for all components/parts needed to start the build – in relation to those parts needed, Model 3 design is almost complete.   Musk states that Tesla goal is to build at least 100,000 Model 3s before end of 2017.
View Quote
They'll be lucky to make 100,000 Models 3's in 2018.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#20]
But the automaker again pushed back a production target of 5,000 units per week deeper into 2018.
View Quote
For every day they worked in Q4, their schedule slipped a day.  Delaying the goal to the end of Q2 also delays their earliest possible good news that could help them raise money, and they desperately need to raise money.  By the end of Q2 they'll be running on fumes.  The delay also complicates their strategy for when and how to hit 200k US sales to start phasing out the tax credit.

I think their chances for bankruptcy in 2018 just went up, not because they wont be selling as many Model 3s (they'll all be sold at a loss anyway), but because the chances that they can't raise any more money at all have increased.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#21]
What, numbers so bad that even the cadre of Elon ball-garglers in GD won't come defend his majesty?

It's okay.  Obama will still be his friend...

...for $38,000.

https://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/elon-musk.asp?cycle=12

I can't find any pictures of Elon with Hillary.  He's only given her about $8000, so I guess it doesn't rate a face to face meeting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And I remember a guy named Bezos who everyone said wouldn't make any money selling books online.

You want to keep playing this game? It's really, really, really dumb. You're making a statement that a proven investor/developer who built a net worth of billions of dollars is nothing more than a charlatan on everything he does. Even if building one of the most successful companies in 2000-2010.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember when a guy named Madoff whom was a money making wizrd, till he wasn't.
And I remember a guy named Bezos who everyone said wouldn't make any money selling books online.

You want to keep playing this game? It's really, really, really dumb. You're making a statement that a proven investor/developer who built a net worth of billions of dollars is nothing more than a charlatan on everything he does. Even if building one of the most successful companies in 2000-2010.
The only profitable companies Elon Musk were internet application related.  Just because you are good at one thing, doesn't make you good at everything.  The automotive industry is its own special beast, between suppliers, regulations, liability, making sure it works everywhere they are going to be used...
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Are we buying tesla puts now?  They look like expensive asf.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#24]
But..but...muh status symbol
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#25]
If the info is correct.. and Tesla is $23+ billion in debt ? A simple interest Vig on $23B for 30 years..is about $153 million a month..@7%.  ouch. Depending on the cost of a new Tesla ?

$153m represents over 3000 cars @ $50K
$153m represents over 2500 cars @ $60K
$153m represents over 2000 cars @ $70K

That’s..Per month just to meet interest. Not current operating and manufacturing cost. They better get busy !
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are we buying tesla puts now?  They look like expensive asf.
View Quote
Agreed.  Too expensive for me.  
I've been looking for a way to make some money on this pending trainwreck, and haven't found one yet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If the info is correct.. and Tesla is $23+ billion in debt ? A simple interest Vig on $23B for 30 years..is about $153 million a month..@7%.  ouch. Depending on the cost of a new Tesla ?

$153m represents over 3000 cars @ $50K
$153m represents over 2500 cars @ $60K
$153m represents over 2000 cars @ $70K

That’s..Per month just to meet interest. Not current operating and manufacturing cost. They better get busy !
View Quote
They lose money on every model 3 they build. Ramping production up only allows them to give the illusion of future profitability so they can borrow more money to burn.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Too expensive for me.  
I've been looking for a way to make some money on this pending trainwreck, and haven't found one yet.  
View Quote
The market is pricing 2019 puts at a 1% chance of them going bankrupt by 1/20/19.  I think the odds are better than that, probably 10-15%.  I think those puts are severely mispriced.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Why does the car itself not have need a drivers license?  Then ask your self why Saudi Arabia gave citizenship to Sophia. AI has more rights than humans??
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm throwing in the towel on this short. No drop at all on shitty model3 production numbers, yet the stock is up over %5 today because Musk announces a Tesla drive-in.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm throwing in the towel on this short. No drop at all on shitty model3 production numbers, yet the stock is up over %5 today because Musk announces a Tesla drive-in.
View Quote
You can’t reason with irrational morons that ran the stock price up. It’s like trying to reason with apple investors, except apple actually makes a product, and profit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Buy puts.  The only thing more dangerous than being long Tesla is being short Tesla.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Tesla will have to do a capital raise by June of this year.

They are structurally bankrupt right now, and may breach debt covenants this year.

I do believe they will get the money.

However, they've never been cash flow positive, have increasing capex commitments and debt maturities due/looming as listed below:

2018 - $501.5 million
2019 - $2.058 billion
2020 - $1.427 billion
2021 - $1.604 billion
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#34]
<div id="article_deck" class="content">
CEO Elon Musk has already had to disappoint eager customers with Model 3 delays due to manufacturing "bottlenecks." Gigafactory employees expect he will have to, again.
Tesla employees say the company was making batteries for its Model 3 vehicles partly by hand as recently as mid-December.
Employees also said that quality control workers were not experienced, and two said that some batteries are leaving the factory with a potentially serious defect, a claim that Tesla vigorously denies.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/tesla-employees-say-gigafactory-problems-worse-than-known.html
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#35]
BUt..but...muh status symbol
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#36]
What's next, cocaine deals in hotel rooms?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I see what you did there
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I see what you did there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see what you did there
Tesla can’t be the cult classic the Delorean is though, once the company dies and the electronics decay they’ll only be good as ballast on a spacecraft.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The only profitable companies Elon Musk were internet application related.  Just because you are good at one thing, doesn't make you good at everything.  The automotive industry is its own special beast, between suppliers, regulations, liability, making sure it works everywhere they are going to be used...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember when a guy named Madoff whom was a money making wizrd, till he wasn't.

Technically Bezos didn't make money selling books online. He made money by selling a bunch of stuff other than books online.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#40]
But... it's a Gigafactory!!

How can it not be awesome with a name like that?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#42]
At year end Musk said they delivered around 2000 Model 3s and were building at a projected rate of 1000/week and would ramp to 2500/week in Q1 and 5000/week in Q2.  Based on reported VINs this isn't even remotely happening.  The highest VIN i've seen reported delivered is around 4000, with mid 5000 being configured for delivery in the next week or so.  But also VINs in the 3k and 4k range next week.  We know they're not building strictly in VIN numerical order so that 5000 is a ceiling, some VINs in that range haven't been used yet.  Late last week Tesla registered up to #10060 with the gov't.  This is usually done weeks before actually making those VINs.  If you assume a simple linear ramp from 1000 to 2500 in a quarter, #6700 should have been made this week and #10060 about 2 weeks from now.  #4500 should have been 2 weeks ago.  4 weeks into Q1 and they're already a full week behind schedule.  I suppose they could have shut the factory for a week to give the employees a break after a frantic 2017 end but they should have announced that so simple number crunching like this paints a better picture.  Right now they're not even doing 1k/week, much less ramping to 2500.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Tesla will report financials in about a month.  They may have enough cash on hand to survive another six months or so.  It's certainly going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Tesla will report financials in about a month.  They may have enough cash on hand to survive another six months or so.  It's certainly going to be interesting.  
View Quote
So,
Bailout ?
More money from “investors” ?
Blame trump ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think Elon Musk will still be able to raise capital. There are plenty of fanboys out here, even if the big banks won't want to lend him anymore. Heck, their last junk bond offering actually ended up selling MORE than they originally wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So,
Bailout ?
Blame trump ?
I think Elon Musk will still be able to raise capital. There are plenty of fanboys out here, even if the big banks won't want to lend him anymore. Heck, their last junk bond offering actually ended up selling MORE than they originally wanted.
Interesting

Thank you

Wonder how he will frame it ?

“Things are so awesome you should invest more money!!”
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So,
Bailout ?
Blame trump ?
That's why he's working so hard to prop up the share price.  Less dilution when he does a secondary.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
<div id="article_deck" class="content">
CEO Elon Musk has already had to disappoint eager customers with Model 3 delays due to manufacturing "bottlenecks." Gigafactory employees expect he will have to, again.
Tesla employees say the company was making batteries for its Model 3 vehicles partly by hand as recently as mid-December.
Employees also said that quality control workers were not experienced, and two said that some batteries are leaving the factory with a potentially serious defect, a claim that Tesla vigorously denies.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/tesla-employees-say-gigafactory-problems-worse-than-known.html
View Quote
So the Gigafactory is about 15 miles from my house and the pictures you see online really don't do it justice. It truly is a sight to behold.

But I don't know a single person who 1. currently works there, 2. have anything good to say about when they did work there, 3. have any desire to go back. What I do know is they are constantly recruiting and can never seem to find enough bodies and the people who have worked there all state the pay is a lot lower than you would think. They have posted several openings that are right up my alley (automotive/manufacturing/inventory management, etc.) but I'm not big on instability.

Panasonic (the Tesla battery partner and under the same giga-roof) hired 800 people about a week ago in the Reno/Sparks area and really upset the local labor market. That 800 is only about 1/3 of their target recruitment. As I understand it, ~$20/hour for labor and ~$25/hour for management. We had trouble finding bodies before and now we really are up a creek.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Carbon neutral?

I think not!
Page / 108
Top Top