Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 108
Posted: 10/2/2017 7:31:28 PM EDT
Evidently Tesla has not been able to get their automated assembly lines working, so they are still building by hand.  
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/tesla-employees-say-gigafactory-problems-worse-than-known.html

In July 2017, Chief Executive Elon Musk previously said that he expected Tesla to ramp up to 1,500 Model 3 cars/week in September.  
Tesla produced less than 2,000 Model 3s in 2017.  
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-model-3-hit-by-production-bottleneck-that-slowed-initial-deliveries-2017-10-02

8.07: Proposed buyout updates on page 40
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Tesla-production-financial-problems-Financial-problems-are-worse-lost-4-per-share-last-qtr/5-2038095/?page=40
The electric-car maker filed Thursday to sell $1.35 billion in notes and about $650 million in shares. Musk, Tesla's chief executive officer, will participate in the offering by buying as much as $10 million in stock.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-02/tesla-files-to-offer-2-72m-shares-1-35b-in-notes
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
They must be having trouble finding people how know what goes into building production lines
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Oops
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
fuck tesla and musk.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Snake oil in car form.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I would really, really like for Tesla to succeed. I admire Musk's pioneering spirit, factory direct marketing plan and awesome fast cars.. Right now Tesla is propped up with venture capital and he just can't get a handle on mass production techniques.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it a Muskle car?

I hope Tesla is wildly successful and leads the way into alternative transportation. But I want them to do it on their own dime not mine.

What Muskie clearly doesn't recognize despite being an absolutely brilliant con man, is that the overwhelming majority of the green weanies who would buy his car have virtually no wealth having invested in album collections and bongs, and not unlike Ol' Elon living largely on the taxpayers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I am sure President Clinton will step in and save the company.  Oh wait...
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Tesla could have been a very successful boutique car maker. Instead Musk's big head will burn it to the ground. With the way he's leveraged his stock expect to him lose control and be broken up/sold within a few years. Any bets on if Fiat, Toyota, or GM will be the main buyer?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
My surprised face.

Where are the Musk sycophants now?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
insert haha.jpg
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Snake oil in car form.
View Quote
Enron Musk
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Tesla announces production problems: only 220 Model 3s delivered in third quarter
View Quote
we gonna be rich!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]
He needs to partner with an actual automobile company.

Making vehicles, he doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would really, really like for Tesla to succeed. I admire Musk's pioneering spirit, factory direct marketing plan and awesome fast cars.. Right now Tesla is propped up with venture capital government subsidies and he just can't get a handle on mass production techniques.
View Quote
Fixt
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Small victory for the shorts. For the two people here who had the guts to do it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am sure President Clinton will step in and save the company.  Oh wait...
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#19]
This is only a surprise to those who weren't paying attention to actual events; Musk's purely promotional patter not withstanding.

Musk said one thing; while real events screamed something else entirely.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I work for a company that does A LOT of work engineering, building, maintaining, and expanding car plants and I thought from the announcement his promise to be putting out 5,000 cars a week by the end of the year was pie in the sky BS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#21]
220, that's worse than I thought it would be.  I called it in the other thread, comparing Tesla's production line certification to GM's. People are stupid if they think you're just going to hit the on switch and everything is going to work, and cars are going to come pouring out at the ridiculous pace he claimed. 
ETA, check my math 5k cars a week = one car every two minutes. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
220, that's worse than I thought it would be.  I called it in the other thread, comparing Tesla's production line certification to GM's. People are stupid if they think you're just going to hit the on switch and everything is going to work, and cars are going to come pouring out at the ridiculous pace he claimed.  
View Quote
When does it become fraud I wonder?

Because Musk certainly knew he was pissing on the stockholders' feet and calling it rain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#25]
It's actually a little worse than OP makes it sound.  Tesla's guidance was originally for 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s during the second half of 2017.  Obviously that number isn't going to be reached at this point.

More recently the guidance was lowered to an incredibly modest 1630 Model 3s during 3Q17.  They made 13.5% of that!  My personal estimate had been 407, 25% of their guidance, and even that was too optimistic.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When does it become fraud I wonder?

Because Musk certainly knew he was pissing on the stockholders' feet and calling it rain.
View Quote
He's proof that the media is bought and paid for. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Tesla is a brutal company.

SpaceX is great, however. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I would really, really like for Tesla to succeed. I admire Musk's pioneering spirit, factory direct marketing plan and awesome fast cars.. Right now Tesla is propped up with venture capital and he just can't get a handle on mass production techniques.
View Quote
Funny you say that, I want to see Tesla fail.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would really, really like for Tesla to succeed. I admire Musk's pioneering spirit, factory direct marketing plan and awesome fast cars.. Right now Tesla is propped up with venture capital the government and he just can't get a handle on mass production techniques.
View Quote
I went ahead and fixed that for you. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They must be having trouble finding people how know what goes into building production lines
View Quote
That’s not the issue here.

The issue is they over-promised. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tesla is a brutal company.

SpaceX is great, however. 
View Quote
SpaceX is great thanks to NASA.
His manufacturing claims are pure BS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Small victory for the shorts. For the two people here who had the guts to do it.
View Quote
I ditched my TSLA stock in August the same time I added to a small short position.
08/01/17 Bought To Open   5 TSLA Jan 18 '19 $50 Put (TSLA)        
07/06/17 Bought To Open   2 TSLA Jan 18 '19 $50 Put (TSLA)

I'm thinking of adding to it shortly before 4Q earnings.  Right now my money is focused elsewhere on winners: APPL, NVDIA, BABA

It's still too dangerous to go all in on TSLA.

By late 2019, the company may not even exist - too many negative catalysts as major car manufacturers ramp up electrics.
- competition increasing across all major car manufacturers
- technology (perceived) advantage eroding
- flat lined X and S production (OK they're up 5% this quarter - whoopee)
- Model 3 problems
- severe cash burn
- losing money on each and every car manufactured - will only worsen with Model 3 ramp up
- Rising interest rates will impact TSLA next time they seek financing next round

GM should have their September Bolt sales figures out in a few days.

Higher spells more trouble for TSLA, as the Bolt is actually available and closer to a favorable mass production price point.

GM is prepped and ready for expanded EV use in China, and is introducing additional EVs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey, I think we're missing some people.....

@Shockergd
@SkiandShoot
@Tesla1
@Neotopiaman
@Kharn

hohohohoho!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tesla could have been a very successful boutique car maker. Instead Musk's big head will burn it to the ground. With the way he's leveraged his stock expect to him lose control and be broken up/sold within a few years. Any bets on if Fiat, Toyota, or GM will be the main buyer?
View Quote
I'd bet some Chicom company will buy them out. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey, I think we're missing some people.....

@Shockergd
@SkiandShoot
@Tesla1
@Neotopiaman
@Kharn

hohohohoho!
View Quote
They've already asked NTSHA for 1100 VINS as of last part of September, from what I'm hearing they've finally started up the solid ramp up the last week of September.

It's still quite disappointing but oh well, it happens.

This is the guy that built a rocket class that beats the government by HUGE margins. Has done many things no one ever thought possible, so I'm going to give him a little leeway with being off 2300 cars in a quarter.

Edit - they had one of the best quarters for model S and X.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a love and hate relationship w Tesla, more hate now since he became a little bitch with a Trump. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I ditched my TSLA stock in August the same time I added to a small short position.

I'm thinking of adding to it shortly before 4Q earnings.  Right now my money is focused elsewhere on winners: APPL, NVDIA, BABA

By late 2019, the company may not even exist - too many negative catalysts as major car manufacturers ramp up electrics.
- Model 3 problems
- severe cash burn
- losing money on each and every car manufactured - will only worsen with Model 3 ramp up
- Rising interest rates will impact TSLA next time they seek financing next round

Higher spells more trouble for TSLA, as the Bolt is actually available and closer to a favorable mass production price point.

GM is prepped and ready for expanded EV use in China, and is introducing additional EVs.
View Quote
GM is upping the ante for sure.
20 new EV's coming up in the next 5 years.

Trucks included, as well as SUV's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd bet some Chicom company will buy them out. 
View Quote
For pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Toyota and GM will just steal the tech and make it better.

Maybe Fiat will buy the name.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#41]
IBTTB

In before the Tesla bankruptcy.

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
To sell those cars in Cali, Jerry Brown has to come up with billions in tax incentives and tax credits, otherwise they won't sell because the range is too limited.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Stop worrying everyone!

Soon, you'll be able to put down a deposit for a ticket to Mars, or maybe a condo on the moon or something!
View Quote
Stop mocking my Musk!  

Literally Everything that man has done, has been geared toward getting us off this rock.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Stevie Wonder saw this coming.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

GM is upping the ante for sure.
20 new EV's coming up in the next 5 years.

Trucks included, as well as SUV's.
View Quote
I'm on the "reservation list" for this vaporware mobile.

http://bollingermotors.com
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I work for a company that does A LOT of work engineering, building, maintaining, and expanding car plants and I thought from the announcement his promise to be putting out 5,000 cars a week by the end of the year was pie in the sky BS.
View Quote
This whole thing reminds me of the Eclipse Aviation diasaster. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Wish I had gone to school for engineering instead of LE. Maybe when the baby gets older...some of my generator ideas are sick, and would translate well to use in electrically powered vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

- Model 3 problems
- severe cash burn

View Quote
Seven put contracts.  Those are rookie numbers!  

I've stacked up on the 2019 $50 puts, enough to pay off my house and then some if they go bankrupt in that time frame.  The 2020 Leaps start trading on 11/13/17 but will have a huge time premium for quite a while.

Also, your list of 2019 problems should include that by then they'll be somewhere north of $27B in debt.  It's just going to get to be too much to be serviceable, if it isn't already.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I’m here
Not too concerned.
Record quarter for model s
Record quarter for model x
If they aren’t cranking out the model 3 at a quick rate by end of November or mid December I’ll be a little concerned

Been hearing of Tesla’s imminent bankruptcy for 5 years or so
Been hearing about tesla killer cars for about as long

We will see how it plays out
To date none of the tesla is doomed talk has come to pass
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top