Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/30/2019 7:08:30 PM EDT
I'm currently working on a project near Lake Erie south of Buffalo, NY.  I'll be up here through the winter.  I've worked up north previously (Pittsburgh area, northern West Virgina, Binghamton, NY) but I'm not sure what to expect winter weather wise near Buffalo.  The locals keep telling me horror stories of 3'-5' feet of snow overnight and needing a snow mobile to go anywhere during January and February but I have a suspicion that is being exaggeration to try to fuck with the southerner.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
LOFL. Welcome to snow fall measured in FEET.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
They are not exaggerating. They get dumped on by lake effect snow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Get decent tires and you'll be fine.  It can snow a lot in a hurry but they'll get it cleared in minutes
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad grew up in Hamburg. The winter weather there is clear and still.  Clear up to your ass and still snowing
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
South of Buffalo gets the worst lake effect.....   It sucks bad!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It's snowy as hell but it's not that bad (for snow country). Now if a nor'easter rolls through and drop a foot an hour things get messy. On the plus side we in upstate NY are used to it and it'll only take a day for things to get cleaned up after the snow stops.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get decent tires and you'll be fine.  It can snow a lot in a hurry but they'll get it cleared in minutes
View Quote
Even the rural back roads?  My project is spread out over a very rural area.  Down south when we get snow it just sits until it melts (usually within a few hours, at most 1 day).
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are you staying? I am right on Lake Erie, about 35-40 miles south of Buffalo.  Yes, there are times where we get literally that much snow, over night. No exaggerating. I don't think you really need a snowmobile, but 4 wheel drive and decent tires are good to have.

-K
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even the rural back roads?  My project is spread out over a very rural area.  Down south when we get snow it just sits until it melts (usually within a few hours, at most 1 day).
View Quote
Working days they'll get cleaned pretty quick unless it's a lot of snow.  A lot there being like 18" in a few hours
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as they don't get 8' up there in a single storm event......of wait that was a few years ago.

Seriously if you're in the south town areas, be prepared.  Roads can get shut down for days.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#11]
/GNR/ Welcome to the jungle baby!  You're gonna die... /GNR/
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they are paved roads you'll be good. If you mean very rural, as in dirt back roads I'd recommend studded snows and carry chains. 4x4 an obvious must.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, lake effect can bring 18-24" over a fairly short span.   That seems to happen a few times a year with late fall and early spring being most common.  The good news is January and February are usually to cold for those big snowfalls
Wind off Ontario can be brutally cold, Erie is probably similar.  It gets colder in the Midwest though.  Invest in some snow tires and don't drive like a dipshit and you should be fine.  A nice ski jacket, hat and gloves will go a long ways towards outdoor comfort.  Warm boots don't hurt either.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]

ETA:  Also, you said 'near' Lake Erie.  How far inland are you?  Often those who are a bit Inland get hit even harder than those right on the lake. Where I work is literally right on the lake, but where I live is a number of miles inland, and sometimes there is a surprising difference.  Those further Inland from me usually get more.

-K
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I got stuck at a buddies in Buffalo.  I've never seen drifts like that before!

Literally 2nd story.

But the plowing of roads there is 2nd to none!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah you're gonna want a sled.  I'm up around the brewery in Baldwinsville quite a bit and it's ridiculous
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Also if you are outside a lot and mostly standing around a few of my buddies swear by those electric heated vests. You'll want some insulated waterproof boots, carry spare socks and spare gloves too. Some thermal long underwear is good for the really cold days with negative wind chills.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to college in Rochester.

Yeah.

Hope you like snow.

Freshman year, we had a foot by first week in November, and the last bit didn't melt off campus until June.

Fortunately, I love cold... but ROTC before classes or PT still fucking sucked.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#19]
lake effect snow there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#20]
This was from my mom's porch in South Buffalo a few years ago.  I'm pretty sure all that snow fell in a 48 hour period.

Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOFL. Welcome to snow fall measured in FEET.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Its butt fucking cold...
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Average Snowfall:
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Wool socks. And keep a blanket and snow shovel in your vehicle. Maybe bottled water and candles too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where are you staying? I am right on Lake Erie, about 35-40 miles south of Buffalo.  Yes, there are times where we get literally that much snow, over night. No exaggerating. I don't think you really need a snowmobile, but 4 wheel drive and decent tires are good to have.

-K
View Quote
I'm staying in Dewittville, NY but my project (wind farm) is spread out over between Cassadaga and Cherry Creek.  My truck is 4wheel drive with all terrain tires.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
lake effect snow there.
View Quote
This is something unique to certain parts around the Great Lakes. You could have sunny skies, but a narrow band of snow blowing off the lake. In that narrow band, it could be whiteout conditions.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#27]
The snow can be a bitch, especially when a lake effect band sets up over one area and dumps for hours/days.  Going from a trace of snow on the grass to 30 inches less than 10 miles down the road is common.  But the area is set up for snow removal and the roads will get cleared.

What nobody can do anything about is the freaking wind and it covers the entire area.  Couple it with the cold and it makes things absolutely miserable if you are not dressed properly.  My advise is that if you're going to be spending a lot of time outdoors, invest in a snowmobile suit to keep the wind off your body and look into good hats, gloves and facemasks to keep the head, ears, face and hands from getting frostbit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Im about 30min from Buffalo... have fun OP

The worst thing is not the snow..its the cold .not kind nice minus 50 dry cold..no try wet damp crush your soul wet cold...

Youll get use to it..or die in a snow bank.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is something unique to certain parts around the Great Lakes. You could have sunny skies, but a narrow band of snow blowing off the lake. In that narrow band, it could be whiteout conditions.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm currently working on a project near Lake Erie south of Buffalo, NY.  I'll be up here through the winter.  I've worked up north previously (Pittsburgh area, northern West Virgina, Binghamton, NY) but I'm not sure what to expect winter weather wise near Buffalo.  The locals keep telling me horror stories of 3'-5' feet of snow overnight and needing a snow mobile to go anywhere during January and February but I have a suspicion that is being exaggeration to try to fuck with the southerner.   Thanks.
View Quote
it gets cold.  and some years snow can be a little heavy and other years its really fucking heavy.  will be more snow anytime now.

they get blizzards now and then.

might lose power a couple times in winter.

keep blankets and a coat and some other winter stuff in the vehicle.

it can get -20+ below.  not as bad as some places but almost always windy in winter.  one of those half masks that are insulated might help a bit. I had a cheap ass condor watch cap and that kept my head warm. and a $20 parka from a thrift store was warmer than my lined leather jacket.

milk and bread sells out if a storm is coming.

they get enough snow every year that many streets and highways have to be plowed. sometimes some roads are blocked for days or a week, and only the major intersections reopened.

my family still lives there.  sometimes they still get snow until march and april
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#31]
To everyone in the Buffalo area,

RIP Irv Weinstein
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Lake Effect is a very real thing, and quite a bit more sucky than the typical midwestern snowstorms.  The humidity coming in off the wind, in freezing ass temperatures sucks your will to live.

Lived with lake michigan as my backyard for 10 years.  Not a pleasant experience at all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Get a Beef on Weck!!  Nothing better in a snowstorm than that!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They are not exaggerating. They get dumped on by lake effect snow.
View Quote
This.

I grew up in NY and had friends that attended SUNY Buffalo.

It snows A LOT.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This was from my mom's porch in South Buffalo a few years ago.  I'm pretty sure all that snow fell in a 48 hour period.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/194902/10-30-2019_6-22-36_PM-1142839.jpg
View Quote
Holy crap.

Hard pass!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#36]
There's a reason those of us from there keep a shovel year round. Also, avoid the big blue water tower when it snows.

A WNY native that moved to CO
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm staying in Dewittville, NY but my project (wind farm) is spread out over between Cassadaga and Cherry Creek.  My truck is 4wheel drive with all terrain tires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-K
I grew up in the area and still have a chunk of land near the project.  4WD truck will be fine.  Don't hot dog or speed.  Main roads get plowed and salted.  When the snow flies, they run all hours.  Side roads will get snow covered, but eventually plowed.  If it's a heavy snowfall year eventually the ditches fill up and a snow wall gets built on the side of roads such that you really can't run off the road.  Your project roads will be buried unless you have snow removal already factored in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

RIP Irv Weinstein
View Quote
What the news caster guy from the 80s?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

RIP Irv Weinstein
View Quote
Aw, he died?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Snow...in Buffalo???

I used to live in Rochester and the only good thing I can say about the wx there is that if we got 4 ft of snow, then Buffalo got 6 ft or more.

How bad was Rochester? One spring day the newspaper had a full page color picture of the sun and the caption under it said “This is the sun lest we forget. We have had 100 straight days without a sliver of sunshine.”

It is drab and overcast most of the time there. Quite depressing for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
All I can say is Dupont used to send less than stellar supervisors to it's Yerks plant located in Buffalo, NY as punishment. We used to tell supervisors that got uppity that they better slow their roll unless they want to get sent to Yerks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#42]
It's ummm... Mild....  You might want to bring a sweater as the temperature can get a little chilly in the mid-February.  Nothing that a nice pumpkin spice latte won't fix.....  
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Hahahahahaha! Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Im about 60 miles south.  Its amazing how much worse it is there than here.  So ya, lots of snow
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Feet worth of snow. Cold. Cold for me is below 0. Often times its well below 0.

Bright side is. You can park a snowmobile on your roof and still get to work
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#46]

and

SAD
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP Irv Weinstein
Yes.

Eyewitness News from 1964 to 1998.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Aw, he died?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP Irv Weinstein
Aw, he died?
Yep, 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#49]
depew 2014

this is lancaster. but seen this once in buffalo.

buffalo
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I lived in Syracuse and drove 50,000 miles a year from Plattsburgh to Erie.
That stretch between Erie PA  and Hamburg can get pretty bad in the winter .
A lot of snow up in those parts of the country.

Only did that for 4 years—
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top