Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/5/2023 11:01:34 PM EDT
Been looking at a light sport truck option.

My needs are on the HD/ Lowes side of things.

Everything is flat around here so no off-roading and I don't own a boat,  but I do need utility because I'm a tool guy who does tool things every now and then. I won't be building houses but I do remodel work on my primary residences for resale. It not my 9-5 though.

So I need a good daily driver truck.
good on gas.
I'm tired of wrenching Cars, just want to do fluids, basics etc
So it's gotta last
I will weld up a rack for the back I can slide plywood/ sheetrock etc on levered above the cab, so bed size is irrelevant.

My biggest selling point right now is $, MPG, and not breaking.

So do I go for a Japanese economy shit box ( which are now expensive and not great on gas -Tacoma) that will last me 20
years? Or do I gamble on fords new maverick.

Price is good and mpg is unrivaled for its size. I wish I had time to wait it out for the new Toyota Stout but that's a ways off from production.

Nissan Frontier?
Honda Ridgeline?
Maverick?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck getting in on the ordering books when they open in the fall, or get prepared to throw away the "I want a cheap thing" and pay the dealer loads of cash just to buy the few they get on the lot. They are pretty much unobtanium for most people.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I might be wrong,  but I thought I read on here that a bunch of maverick trucks were being recalled.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Ford needs to bring back the old small single cab to small extended cab trucks

It seems like the Maverick is the size of a F150 from the early/mid 2000's. Cars and trucks are just bigger today.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Tacoma can be had for $32-36k, gas mileage sucks though.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I might be wrong,  but I thought I read on here that a bunch of maverick trucks were being recalled.
View Quote
I saw that somewhere, too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know I hadn't seen that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Order a Maverick or...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-launches-diy-f-150-muscle-truck-v8.amp

They will both be about the same price.

Mavericks are insanity and sold through 2024 model year from what I hear.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good luck getting in on the ordering books when they open in the fall, or get prepared to throw away the "I want a cheap thing" and pay the dealer loads of cash just to buy the few they get on the lot. They are pretty much unobtanium for most people.
View Quote

I had written them off when I read about demand and the next fall ordering, but I just checked and they can be had locally. Unfortunately they are basically 10k above asking, which puts them on par with Tacoma prices. So it's then a decision on Does Toyota reliability trump Maverick MPG's
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Basically it was marketed at an appealing price point of $19k when introduced, but would be lucky to get out the dealership for $30k now. The appeal is just about gone compared to what else is out there for the same price. Maybe if you're so stuck on MPG it's clouding your judgement you would pull the trigger, but common sense says it's missed its mark.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Most of the new vehicles have similar reliability and it's crap compared to 90s era Japanese mini trucks, Toyota and Nissan.

If you want a small truck for a home Depot runner grab an old hardbody with a V6 or a 22re Toyota. Skip the 4cyl Nissan as it doesn't make enough power and skip the 3.0 V6 Toyota because that motor is garbage. Both the yota and the hardbody will outlive any new "small" truck.

For MPGs you are stuck with something like a maverick or get a minivan or a station wagon. You'd be surprised at the utility of a minivan.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had written them off when I read about demand and the next fall ordering, but I just checked and they can be had locally. Unfortunately they are basically 10k above asking, which puts them on par with Tacoma prices. So it's then a decision on Does Toyota reliability trump Maverick MPG's
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Wife loves hers, got 48 mpg last fill up.  No recalls, but she has a 23.  I can even fit in it, which surprised me since I'm bigger than squatdog
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All hybrid mavericks are on a stop sale pending a recall.  If the engine blows a whole in the block, it can fill the engine compartment with flammable fluids and gases and catch on fire. The engine compartment is fairly sealed for aerodynamics, they already did one recall to improve airflow in engine compartment
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wife loves hers, got 48 mpg last fill up.  No recalls, but she has a 23.  I can even fit in it, which surprised me since I'm bigger than squatdog
View Quote

It’s under recall

Frankly it’s probably had a few
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Basically it was marketed at an appealing price point of $19k when introduced, but would be lucky to get out the dealership for $30k now. The appeal is just about gone compared to what else is out there for the same price. Maybe if you're so stuck on MPG it's clouding your judgement you would pull the trigger, but common sense says it's missed its mark.
View Quote

No markup on my wifes, just had to wait awhile for it to be built.  Guess it sucks to be impatient.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 24 year model books open on July 17th (from what I’ve heard), they will start building the 24s in late October.

If you want one, do some research and call various dealerships around to find one that sold a bunch of 23’s (so they likely will get allocations next year) and that doesn’t try to screw you on the price.

If the market stays the same as it is for the 23’s, if you order a 24, actually get it in and buy it….but end up  not likely it, you can sell it for a profit pretty easily.

Ford made an assload more Ecoboosts than Hybrids this year.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go to a Toyota Dealeship and actually look in their service department. Short answer is NO.

If Toyota was so reliable, they wouldn't need trained mechanics and Techs. They could just hire the Walmart type kids to change oil...
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The $25K Maverick ends up being over $50K with mark ups and dealer added bullshit

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

All hybrid mavericks are on a stop sale pending a recall.  If the engine blows a whole in the block, it can fill the engine compartment with flammable fluids and gases and catch on fire. The engine compartment is fairly sealed for aerodynamics, they already did one recall to improve airflow in engine compartment
View Quote

Huh, interesting.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The $25K Maverick ends up being over $50K with mark ups and dealer added bullshit

View Quote

It if you order them…they can be ordered from most dealers for MSRP.  Now, if a customer passes on it, then the dealers usually mark them up a decent bit….
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go to a Toyota Dealeship and actually look in their service department. Short answer is NO.

If Toyota was so reliable, they wouldn't need trained mechanics and Techs. They could just hire the Walmart type kids to change oil...
View Quote
I have a 94 Toyota truck, I have never taken it to a dealership.

It was a POS as it quit running in 2018.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, where are you in Georgia?  I’m in the Beaufort area if you want to look at mine

Ecoboost engine, AWD, FX4, 4k tow, XLT. Worst combo for MPG except the tremor and I got 30mpg going to Charleston and back today

We are happy with it, it’s not even “my” car but I’ve been driving it a lot lately
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#23]
As was mentioned there's currently a stop sale, but the 2.5l Duratec hybrid system is pretty bulletproof and gets pretty amazing mileage.  My only gripe is that it's Atkinson cycle and thus a little noisy at idle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you well off financially? I presume so if you are considering purchasing a Maverick 10K over sticker. Once the Maverick is off warranty, will you be ok with possibly expensive repairs?
If the answer to this is yes, then get the Maverick.

I would buy the Tacoma or even a Ridgeline before the Maverick. I place a premium on reliability over creature comforts and MPG. But in the end, it’s your money.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP, where are you in Georgia?  I’m in the Beaufort area if you want to look at mine

Ecoboost engine, AWD, FX4, 4k tow, XLT. Worst combo for MPG except the tremor and I got 30mpg going to Charleston and back today

We are happy with it, it’s not even “my” car but I’ve been driving it a lot lately
View Quote

Right across the border... I'm in bluffton daily.  I might take you up on that offer when I get closer to a decision. I'm still internet researching right now and my loose plan is to sit in a few in the next week or two.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a Ford so it works until it doesn't
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hybrids are getting recalled. Another issue with Fires
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you well off financially? I presume so if you are considering purchasing a Maverick 10K over sticker. Once the Maverick is off warranty, will you be ok with possibly expensive repairs?
If the answer to this is yes, then get the Maverick.

I would buy the Tacoma or even a Ridgeline before the Maverick. I place a premium on reliability over creature comforts and MPG. But in the end, it’s your money.
View Quote

Marginally

I'm not okay with overpaying for anything but I'm just looking at all the options $30k buys today. If I were to go the Maverick route then I would do the "order for close to msrp" option on July 17th as stated by another poster, which wasn't known to me until this thread.  

So far I find it interesting no one has even mentioned the Nissan Frontier.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Marginally

I'm not okay with overpaying for anything but I'm just looking at all the options $30k buys today. If I were to go the Maverick route then I would do the "order for close to msrp" option on July 17th as stated by another poster, which wasn't known to me until this thread.  

So far I find it interesting no one has even mentioned the Nissan Frontier.

View Quote

Frontier is going to be priced similar to the Tacoma and get similar MPGs. They never get the attention of a Tacoma for all the good (and bad) it brings.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Right across the border... I'm in bluffton daily.  I might take you up on that offer when I get closer to a decision. I'm still internet researching right now and my loose plan is to sit in a few in the next week or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just shoot me a PM

OCWelch was easy to work with on ordering it
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Underneath it is a 1970 Mustang.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I ordered a XL AWD Ecoboost w/4k tow package, 110w inverter on the first day the order banks opened (9/16/22) and most likely I'm going to be a rollover for 2024 sadly

So if you order one you are going to wait a long time
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just shoot me a PM

OCWelch was easy to work with on ordering it
View Quote

Will do, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I ordered a XL AWD Ecoboost w/4k tow package, 110w inverter on the first day the order banks opened (9/16/22) and most likely I'm going to be a rollover for 2024 sadly

So if you order one you are going to wait a long time
View Quote

Ford says no rollovers

If it doesn’t get built, it will be cancelled

But ecoboost I suspect you’ll get it. XL hurt ya, they aren’t making that many
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm about to get a Ridgeline when they redo the interior.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm about to get a Ridgeline when they redo the interior.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ford says no rollovers

If it doesn't get built, it will be cancelled

But ecoboost I suspect you'll get it. XL hurt ya, they aren't making that many
View Quote
I know all about the rollover and XL trim

Already talked with my dealer and if it doesn't get scheduled by July 17th they are going to place a "new" order

Also there has been talk about ford doing rollovers. Just no price protection
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know all about the rollover and XL trim

Already talked with my dealer and if it doesn't get scheduled by July 17th they are going to place a "new" order

Also there has been talk about ford doing rollovers. Just no price protection
View Quote

Hopefully if you have to reorder, your dealer makes your order a high priority number vs people that are ordering a non-“reorder”.

Did your dealer get many mavericks in over the 23 model year?  If not, they might have crap allocation numbers and you might also want to look into ordering a second one from one of the large volume dealers within driving range of you.

I got a 23 ecoboost a week or so ago and right now I am thinking about ordering a 24, then selling my 23 either to one of the big car buying outfits or just trading it in on the 24 model.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fired hazard with the 2.5L hybrid models

My sister and brother in law have a new Hybrid Maverick. I screen shot the official Ford memo to the dealers posted on here earlier. Sent to my sister saying to be careful...have not heard a peep from her since. Probably pissed off at me for mentioning anything about safety.

I'm so ready to get off this planet
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Traffic, traffic,
Looking for my chap stick.
Feeling kinda car sick...
There's a Ford Maverick!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hopefully if you have to reorder, your dealer makes your order a high priority number vs people that are ordering a non-"reorder".

Did your dealer get many mavericks in over the 23 model year?  If not, they might have crap allocation numbers and you might also want to look into ordering a second one from one of the large volume dealers within driving range of you.

I got a 23 ecoboost a week or so ago and right now I am thinking about ordering a 24, then selling my 23 either to one of the big car buying outfits or just trading it in on the 24 model.
View Quote
Ordered with Long McArthur so I know they have allocations

I think the XL trim is what is holding me back sadly
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I wouldn't worry too much about the recall, recalls happen.  

Having said that, I have a friend that's flipped two of them by ordering early and going with far away dealers.  He'd keeping his 3rd one (a hybrid), since he made enough money flipping the others as soon as they were delivered.  That's obviously not how it will work long term, but it isn't readily available at a discount from MSRP yet.

Honestly, it would make a great truck for OPs needs.  I've driven the closest competitors (2022 Tacoma, 2019 Ridgeline, etc) and it is better for what OP wants.  Its more capable than a stock S-10/Ranger/Tacoma from 1995.

For what its worth, I need a "nice" car for a daily driver, and got a Bronco Sport Badlands (SUV version of the same platform) a year ago.  My mildly lifted beater Jeep is better at some things, my muscle cars and motorcycles are faster, but for everyday stuff, it is about perfect for me.  I prioritized "fast" and at least some off-road chops over mileage so got the 2.0 over the hybrid.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry too much about the recall, recalls happen.  

Having said that, I have a friend that's flipped two of them by ordering early and going with far away dealers.  He'd keeping his 3rd one (a hybrid), since he made enough money flipping the others as soon as they were delivered.  That's obviously not how it will work long term, but it isn't readily available at a discount from MSRP yet.

Honestly, it would make a great truck for OPs needs.  I've driven the closest competitors (2022 Tacoma, 2019 Ridgeline, etc) and it is better for what OP wants.  Its more capable than a stock S-10/Ranger/Tacoma from 1995.

For what its worth, I need a "nice" car for a daily driver, and got a Bronco Sport Badlands (SUV version of the same platform) a year ago.  My mildly lifted beater Jeep is better at some things, my muscle cars and motorcycles are faster, but for everyday stuff, it is about perfect for me.  I prioritized "fast" and at least some off-road chops over mileage so got the 2.0 over the hybrid.  

View Quote

If he can order one and get one near MSRP, I'd agree with the argument that it's a decent choice for what he wants to use it for.

If all he can get is the $10k above sticker deals? That's a lot of money to just piss away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#44]
What I have heard is that you should wait for the Toyota stout which should be built on the rav4 platform.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

That should be all you need to know about that company.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you improve airflow with this birds nest?

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you improve airflow with this birds nest?

https://preview.redd.it/find-me-an-uglier-engine-bay-2023-ford-maverick-v0-ix4moczahwna1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=0d7edf6554eb507bbf6adb19336943a3b4cd5cbb

Use expanding foam and fill every nook and cranny.

And that fooking mess is why I won't touch new vehicles until I open the hood and crawl under them to see exactly how much of a PITA it will be to do maintenance and such on them. I'd pass after one glance at that nest of snakes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It’s under recall

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/attachments/1685567770816-png-png.107349/

Frankly it’s probably had a few
View Quote

This is a fun preview of what it will be like to own one. Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#49]
The Ford Maverick is a compact car manufactured and marketed by Ford for model years 1970–1977 in the United States, originally as a two-door sedan employing a rear-wheel drive platform original to the 1960 Falcon — and subsequently as a four-door sedan on the same platform.

Would you like to know more?

Seriously, though...I just don't understand the reason for the Maverick truck. You have the full-size F150, and the compact Ranger. What's the purpose of the Maverick?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a friend who got one after a 4 month wait, and he seems pretty happy about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top