Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2021 5:32:44 PM EDT
This is a SPAC (special purpose acquisition company), and there's been announcements that Rumble is likely to go public by being acquired by it.

Dec 1, 2021 - Reuters - Video platform Rumble to go public via $2.1 bln SPAC deal

Dec 1 (Reuters) - Canadian video platform Rumble Inc said on Wednesday it would go public by merging with blank-check firm CF Acquisition Corp VI (CFVI.O) at an initial enterprise value of $2.1 billion.

The deal is expected to provide about $400 million in proceeds to Rumble, the company said in a statement.

Upon the deal's closing, Rumble said founder and Chief Executive Officer Chris Pavlovski will retain voting control.

The combined company will be called Rumble and is expected to list on the Nasdaq.
View Quote

Tell me what's wrong with my investment.

Current market cap at 11.67: $445m
Price before news about Rumble: $9.63

Google paid $1.6b for YouTube in 2006

Article 1, 2006

The price makes YouTube Inc., a still-unprofitable startup, by far the most expensive purchase made by Google during its eight-year history. Last year, Google spent $130.5 million buying a total of 15 small companies.
View Quote

From the infographic:

On the Tube: The number of visitors to YouTube.com skyrocketed in the past year [to 19.1 million].
View Quote

Google’s YouTube coup may intensify the pressure on Yahoo to make its own splash by buying Facebook.com, the Internet’s second most popular social-networking site. Yahoo has reportedly offered as much as $1 billion for Palo Alto-based Facebook during months of sporadic talks.
View Quote

lol, that was a missed opportunity on Yahoo's part.

Article 2, 2009

Baskin: So you orally communicated to your board during the course of the board meeting that you thought a more correct valuation for YouTube was $600 million to $700 million; is that what you said, sir?

Mancini objects to characterization of the testimony.

Schmidt: Again, to help you along, I believe that they were worth $600 million to $700 million.

Baskin: And am I correct that you were asking your board to approve an acquisition price of $1.65 billion; correct?

Schmidt: I did.
View Quote

Speaking of Facebook:

Instagram was bought by Facebook for $1b.

Article 1, 2012, before deal closed

Article 2, 2012, before deal closed

With Instagram, Facebook will get a formidable mobile player – an area that is seen as a weakness for the sprawling social network. Founded two years ago, the service — which lets users share photos and apply stylized filters – has become one of the most downloaded applications on the iPhone, with some 30 million users. Instagram released a version of its application for Google’s Android operating system last week.

On Monday, both companies expressed their commitment to run Instagram as an independent service.
View Quote

Last week, Instagram, which has just a handful of employees, closed a financing round worth more than $50 million with several prominent investors, including Sequoia Capital, an early backer of Google, Thrive Capital, the firm run by Joshua Kushner, and Greylock Capital, an early investor of LinkedIn. AllThingsD first reported last week that Sequoia was in the process of leading a $50 million round in Instagram.

That latest funding round valued Instagram at about $500 million, according to one person with knowledge of the matter, who requested anonymity because discussions were private. Facebook’s purchase, one week later, means that investment has now doubled in value.
View Quote

The articles remind me a bit of the late 1990s/2000 dot com mania when companies were valued for users and views rather than PnL, but a lot of tech companies are not profitable right away, because of the high capital cost required to scale out.

It would not surprise me if Rumble is not currently profitable, but it is backed by Peter Thiel.

That being said:

Fortune Magazine - Nov 30, 2020 - Meet Rumble, the YouTube rival that’s popular with conservatives

Three months ago, YouTube copycat Rumble was filled with home recordings of people’s family, friends, and pets. But after Republican Rep. Devin Nunes of California joined the service in August, other conservatives followed, helping add tens of thousands of new subscribers.

Seven-year-old Rumble now has nearly 80 million users, up from 40 million in August. Video streaming on the service has soared 26-fold, as measured by the amount of bandwidth used.

“The way I look at this as we’re neutral,” said Rumble CEO Chris Pavlovski. “We won’t discriminate against anyone or any group.”
View Quote

On a technical note, everyone knows how easy it is to find web sites and scripts and apps that let you download copies of YouTube videos. This is due to how the URLs to the raw mp4 files are directly available. Rumble, on the other hand, uses a clever, and much more difficult, method of streaming video into the browser that's hard to access by scripts outside of their platform. Accessing it requires injecting JavaScript directly into the web site while it's loaded in your browser. Possible, but not easy.

This means Rumble has better copyright protections than YouTube does - because its technically difficult to extract videos that arn't meant to be.

More from the Fortune article:

Pavlovski said he bootstrapped the company on his own, starting with just a handful of employees and constantly reinvesting any profits back into the company. But that wasn’t by choice.

“We did try” to raise money, he said. “When we said we’re trying to develop a YouTube competitor, it wasn’t exactly well-received.”

Pavlovski said Rumble is financially “self-sustaining," though he declined to provide details about its revenue. Rumble, he said, is focused on maintaining its rapid growth, which has created new infrastructure challenges.

Rumble makes money from ads and sponsorships as well as its business-oriented product that helps companies host videos on their own websites.
View Quote

Relationship between preferred shares and common stock

I don't have information on how much of the ownership of the current corporate structure (not CFVI, but the current private company) is preferred shares and how much was paid for them.

So what's wrong with my investment with a cost basis of a little over $12 per share? Why will it fail (or succeed)?

Other info

SEC - What You Need to Know about SPACs - Investor Bulletin

Seeking Alpha - Beware the SPAC - How They Work And Why They Are Bad

Terms

Rumble - Press Release

* Tremendous growth from 1.6 million average monthly active users in Q3 2020 to a record 36 million average monthly active users in Q3 2021
* 44 million monthly active users in August 2021
* Viewer engagement grew 44x from Q2 2020 to Q3 2021 to 8 billion minutes watched per month[1]
* Transaction is expected to provide approximately $400 million in proceeds[2] to Rumble, including a fully committed PIPE of $100 million at $10.00 per share and $300 million of cash held in the trust account of CFVI
* Transaction values Rumble at an enterprise value of $2.1 billion[3]
* Rumble Founder and Chief Executive Officer to retain voting control to facilitate execution of Rumble’s neutral mission on behalf of all stakeholders

The Board of Directors of each of Rumble and CFVI have unanimously approved the transaction. The transaction will require the approval of the stockholders of each of CFVI and Rumble. The Rumble stockholders have agreed to support the transaction. The transaction is subject to other customary closing conditions and is expected to close in the second quarter of 2022.

The transaction values Rumble at an initial enterprise value of $2.1 billion, with current Rumble shareholders having the ability to earn additional shares of the combined company if the stock reaches price hurdles of $15.00 and $17.50 per share.[4] The transaction is expected to provide approximately $400 million in proceeds[5] to Rumble, including a fully committed PIPE of $100 million at $10.00 per share and $300 million of cash held in the trust account of CFVI.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
seems like a solid bet, how much can you afford to lose?
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
seems like a solid bet, how much can you afford to lose?
View Quote

$87mm.

I think the SPAC shares will represent about a 20% interest in the new public company, based on two items:

1. The CEO saying he will maintain voting control
2. The SPAC investing $300m of its trust funds, plus $100m of pipe (additional) funds, combined with the news articles saying the new company's valuation is $2.1b

So the $400m market cap of the spac isn't going to instantly 5x into $2.1b when the deal closes; 80% of the public shares will be owned by non-spac investors.

I don't think the exact terms of the deal are public yet.

Let's say I'm right. Tech companies tend to have high P/E ratios, like 25-30x or more. Let's give Rumble in mid 2022 a 25x PE ratio and a $2b valuation. Rumble would have to be making $80m per year in profit for those numbers to line up. That's not at all impossible; that's $1.00 per user in annual profit, not counting the tech stack deal with TMTG and other future customers. From that point forward, share growth beyond the current price of $12.00 per SPAC unit will require earnings growth, which is highly likely outside some major litigation or legal issues that result from planting and waiving a yuge "we're free speech fuck you" flag. But at least unlike Parler's old CEO, the Rumble CEO is retaining voting control over the entire company.

If I'm wrong about the deal terms, and the SPAC investors get 100% of the company, the spac shares will pop 2-5x by next year.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently I am right so far
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Apparently I am right so far
View Quote

I sold mine on the Rogan news as I didn't think he would do it. I'll buy back in at some point but my view on the Nasdaq is too bleak of which this is a component so I need to be satisfied that it is done going down. (it isn't yet)
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I sold mine on the Rogan news as I didn't think he would do it. I'll buy back in at some point but my view on the Nasdaq is too bleak of which this is a component so I need to be satisfied that it is done going down. (it isn't yet)
View Quote

I don't follow Rogan so I didn't have any intuition as to whether he might take the deal or not.

I'm still above my DCA even after the 10% drop on Friday (it tapered going into the close). While I'm in this for a multi-year play rather than a trade, Rumble will need to avoid having more high-profile "thanks but no thanks" situations if they want to sell themselves as the place for high profile voices.

if they build out a resellable tech stack for cloud (something more than shitty vps's) I think Rumble is going to be a big deal beyond creator and user videos.

A huge selling point for me is that their CEO is an engineer and like Gab, is mindful of the long term plays and won't make horrible short term decisions like what plagued other companies.

There's a new thread about the Truth Social app being available and people having sign-up problems.

Sound familiar?

That's happened before with Frank Speech, Gettr, and Parler.

Inattention to engineering.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Took another beating on $CVFI today now around $13 and change. Well above my DCA still.

$TMTG popped on their app coming out into the app store this week. I have a small amount of that, I'll probably liquidate it at a profit and upsize my $CFVI position.

I have a lot more confidence in the technical execution of Rumble's leadership than I do of Trump's leadership, even though I wish and hope for the best for both.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
aaaaaand we're back to the starting point
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
aaaaaand we're back to the starting point
View Quote

Seriously look at a chart of the Nasdaq, You will have headwinds till it gets to 10 if not a little lower.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seriously look at a chart of the Nasdaq, You will have headwinds till it gets to 10 if not a little lower.
View Quote

It's now at $10, which is where a lot of SPAC's initially price their shares at.

My DCA is still just above $12, so I'm down about 17%, but that's not as much as the ETFs are down now that I sold in December to buy CFVI with.

CFVI seems to trade with DWAC, but far more muted. It also seems to be more muted lately than NASDAQ or SPY. Directionally it trades with tech, and with DWAC, but in smaller moves.

The last major news release out of Rumble was a few weeks ago where they reported improved numbers. DWAC has had some negative news lately about investigations and about current investors wanting to sell their shares, but Rumble hasn't been marred by that type of news.

I think it's a good sign that CFVI is not getting pulled down just as hard or harder than the broader tech market or likewise with DWAC.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Meant to @RedFox1911
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meant to @RedFox1911
View Quote

I'll have to dig into the spac details again but I think 10 is the floor price
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll have to dig into the spac details again but I think 10 is the floor price
View Quote

It can trade below $10 and liquidate below $10.

E.g. if the SPAC exists for 12-18 months, burns up some cash on clerical and administrative expenses, never buys a company, and then liquidates.

I think that's highly unlikely with CFVI, but liquidation w/o an acquisition is a non-zero possibility for DWAC.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want an example of how a SPAC can go, look at GGPI currently.  It was trading slightly below redemption last week.  The redemption date, the day the $10 floor gets removed, was yesterday.   The share price dropped almost 15% this morning.  Now only down about 8%.  Even when a merge goes through, the share price could end up being super low.  It's a bad time for SPACs with current market conditions.  Last year this merge would have blown the doors off, today, not so much.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want an example of how a SPAC can go, look at GGPI currently.  It was trading slightly below redemption last week.  The redemption date, the day the $10 floor gets removed, was yesterday.   The share price dropped almost 15% this morning.  Now only down about 8%.  Even when a merge goes through, the share price could end up being super low.  It's a bad time for SPACs with current market conditions.  Last year this merge would have blown the doors off, today, not so much.
View Quote

It all boils down to the P/E and book valuation post-acquisition. Rumble has been posting some solid and consistent user growth numbers and has been a free standing financially sustainable business for several years.

Could I be down 10 or 20% post merger? Absolutely, if the financials don't look great.

Personally I think CFVI is trading as if its linked heavily to DWAC and Truth Social even though it's not. That being said it would have been nice if Joe Rogan had accepted the offer to move.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I think all the dumb stonks meme money is really focused on DWAC and doesn't understand the value of Rumble's move into cloud / tech services (they're building more than just a video platform).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top